Dahlin's first partner is...

dudacek

On 9/13/2018 at 10:51 PM, IKnowPhysics said:

Dahlin-McCabe makes 100% sense.  Reference my analysis here.

Housley loves Scandella-Ristolainen.  And McCabe's relevant 5v5 CF% was highest with LH defensemen (Beaulieu, Scandella) and lowest with RH defensemen (Bogosian, Ristolainen, Fedun, Tennyson).  Scandella-Risto was stronger than both McCabe-Risto and Scandella-McCabe.

Dahlin could have started with Bogosian, but I think they need Bogosian to mentor D #6.  I believe that will be Nathan Beaulieu based on a) contracts, b) experience, and c) the CF% of Beaulieu-Bogosian was the team high at an excellent 58.06.  So that makes:

Scandella-Ristolainen

Dahlin-McCabe

Beaulieu-Bogosian

Pairs from the scrimmage:

Scandella-Ristolainen, Dahlin-McCabe, Lawrence Pilut-Taylor Fedun-Zach Redmond.

Nathan Beaulieu-Zach Bogosian, Brendan Guhle-Casey Nelson, Brandon Hickey-Matt Tennyson, Devante Stephens-Will Borgen

Hunwick was out with an upper body injury.

It's worthwhile to note that Guhle-Nelson was one of the better performing pairs at CF% 56.80 over 127:15 last year.  I'm starting to get the impression that Housley is either data driven or what he's seeing and deciding happens to match the data.

Random late-night thought about Dahlin...Do y'all see how he sort of skates the opposite of bow-legged, whatever that might be called? It couples with a really wide base. Like, his ankles sort of bend inward, not unlike a young kid who is just skating their first time. Of course, it's not because of a lack of technique - it's how he generates such power from his edges, making his c-cuts and direction changes smoother than maybe anything I've ever seen.

But does anyone think that could do long-term damage to his ankles/tendons/whatever is down there? 

da.jpg

Sorta like his left skate is doing here. Just seems like it could stress the inside of his ankles, or even knees.

I understand this happens to every skater that pushes off, but Dahlin uses it so much more than anyone I've ever seen and even glides in the stance sometimes in case he wants to change direction quick

Edited by Randall Flagg

On 9/16/2018 at 10:43 PM, IKnowPhysics said:

It's worthwhile to note that Guhle-Nelson was one of the better performing pairs at CF% 56.80 over 127:15 last year.  I'm starting to get the impression that Housley is either data driven or what he's seeing and deciding happens to match the data.

Perhaps he is data driven for his initial pairings and will adjust them based on performance and development? 

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Random late-night thought about Dahlin...Do y'all see how he sort of skates the opposite of bow-legged, whatever that might be called? It couples with a really wide base. Like, his ankles sort of bend inward, not unlike a young kid who is just skating their first time. Of course, it's not because of a lack of technique - it's how he generates such power from his edges, making his c-cuts and direction changes smoother than maybe anything I've ever seen.

But does anyone think that could do long-term damage to his ankles/tendons/whatever is down there? 

da.jpg

Sorta like his left skate is doing here. Just seems like it could stress the inside of his ankles, or even knees.

I understand this happens to every skater that pushes off, but Dahlin uses it so much more than anyone I've ever seen and even glides in the stance sometimes in case he wants to change direction quick

Well... his brother had to retire from hockey because of congentive arthritis... at the ago of 20!    It runs in his family apparently.   What could possibly go wrong?  haha 

That said, his skating style, combined with hereditary rheumatoid arthritis, may cause all of the above, none of the above, or some of the above....... premature arthritic joint pain, various back issues, low ankle sprains, hockey knee, high groin pulls, low groin pulls, hockey balls,  premature celebration,  mature celebration, and last but not least... juvenile wheelsnipecellyitis.   

8 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

da.jpg

Interesting thoughts you have here. Just sharing my own personal story about damage to joints, tendons etc.  I have always had issues with my  ankles from early on, i would sprain them all the time, but there was always something odd about my injuries.  My right ankle would often sprain by my foot flaring out like Dahlin's left foot in the picture, and my left ankle would always roll underneath.  Never really thought much of it.  Later on in life I started having pain with my left hip that was progressivley worse as i got older.  After numerous doctors and Ortho's i finally figured out what was causing my issues.  Leg length discrepancy, my left leg was shorter than my right leg.  My left foot had been trying to compensate the length discrepancy by rolling out a little bit trying to make up the difference, this explains why my left ankle was always spraining by rolling under.  On the other side, my right ankle being on the longer leg would try to compensate and would often look like Dahlin's left foot.  

There's a chance that Dahlin might have a leg length discrepancy, even a very small barely noticeable one can cause issues which get worse with age.  Deterioration of the ankles can be slowed by having a foot mold done along with a full xray, hip down to feet to determine the exact difference.  I had this done and was given inserts with a lift on the heel to raise my left leg.  I try to always wear the lift even in my hockey skates, i have not had an ankle injury since.  problem is, at almost 40 and just figuring this out a few years ago, the damage is already done.  Arthritis in both ankles and left hip, and tendon in my left ankle is hanging on by a thread (no more basketball or volleyball for me).  

I am not saying that is what is wrong with Dahlin's ankles, but it's worth a quick check and get the length of his checked.

sorry for the long post

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marions Piazza said:

Interesting thoughts you have here. Just sharing my own personal story about damage to joints, tendons etc.  I have always had issues with my  ankles from early on, i would sprain them all the time, but there was always something odd about my injuries.  My right ankle would often sprain by my foot flaring out like Dahlin's left foot in the picture, and my left ankle would always roll underneath.  Never really thought much of it.  Later on in life I started having pain with my left hip that was progressivley worse as i got older.  After numerous doctors and Ortho's i finally figured out what was causing my issues.  Leg length discrepancy, my left leg was shorter than my right leg.  My left foot had been trying to compensate the length discrepancy by rolling out a little bit trying to make up the difference, this explains why my left ankle was always spraining by rolling under.  On the other side, my right ankle being on the longer leg would try to compensate and would often look like Dahlin's left foot.  

There's a chance that Dahlin might have a leg length discrepancy, even a very small barely noticeable one can cause issues which get worse with age.  Deterioration of the ankles can be slowed by having a foot mold done along with a full xray, hip down to feet to determine the exact difference.  I had this done and was given inserts with a lift on the heel to raise my left leg.  I try to always wear the lift even in my hockey skates, i have not had an ankle injury since.  problem is, at almost 40 and just figuring this out a few years ago, the damage is already done.  Arthritis in both ankles and left hip, and tendon in my left ankle is hanging on by a thread (no more basketball or volleyball for me).  

I am not saying that is what is wrong with Dahlin's ankles, but it's worth a quick check and get the length of his checked.

sorry for the long post

That's interesting and I'm glad you figured it out.

they're so careful with hockey players that i bet they'd know if he had it.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I think y'all are reading too much into it.

I do too.  The best skater I knew growing up had a stride not unlike Dahlin's (in that picture anyway).  Granted, he wasn't NHL elite in his skating, but he was the best skater I ever played with and against and when I see that picture of Dahlin it's the the first thing I think of.  That stride is all power.

22 hours ago, Marions Piazza said:

sorry for the long post

Good post... I have a similar deal with right and left leg, though I don't think it ever bothered me.  That being said, I ran x-country in High School, worked as a bicycle courier in college and tore every ligament in both ankles, never broke one though.  Started seriously playing hockey and skating in my early thirties and haven't rolled an ankle since.  I still get on a spin bike and step master to smooth out cartilage in my knees.  Have noticed a little right hip pain once in a while a suppose it is due to leg difference.  I couldn't tell you if my skating style does what your's does probably not because my ankles have so much flex from tearing the ligaments... I'm more like Jack's turned out.

BTW Gilbert Perrault had that sort of skating style and had bow legs.  It helped him change directions and c-cut fast.  Maybe you are on to something... hmmm

Edited by North Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.