Erik Karlsson Traded to San Jose

WildCard

Just now, pi2000 said:

And after all this... OTT still doesn't have a first round pick in 2019... they can't even get in on the Jack Hughes sweepstakes... but hey, they have Matt Duchene, lol.

Who is reportedly "intrigued" by John Tavares's experience in the UFA market, and is a UFA at the end of the year, lollll

From Ottawa's announcement:
https://www.nhl.com/senators/news/ottawa-senators-complete-most-important-trade-in-rebuild/c-300094100

Ottawa receives San Jose's first-round choice in either 2019 or 2020 (not lottery protected); if the Sharks miss the playoff in 2018-19 it will be a 2019 selection, otherwise it will be in 2020.

...how?

1 minute ago, sabills said:

This makes sense.. 

If SJ misses the playoffs this year, then they keep their 2019 1st which goes to OTT, and BUF get's their 2020 1st.  

If SJ makes the playoffs this year, BUF gets their 2019 1st, and OTT gets their 2020 1st.  

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

This makes sense.. 

If SJ misses the playoffs this year, then they keep their 2019 1st which goes to OTT, and BUF get's their 2020 1st.  

If SJ makes the playoffs this year, BUF gets their 2019 1st, and OTT gets their 2020 1st.  

Yeah it does, I couldn't put it together in my head.

35 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

As per Vogl.. "And since the Sharks have given their 2020 first-round pick to Ottawa, I guess it doesn't matter if they make the playoffs. The option to slide to 2020 no longer exists, so Buffalo will have the Sharks' 2019 first-rounder."

As per Yerdon, it works a little differently.  If SJ misses the playoffs and exercises its right to slide Buffalo to 2020, and Ottawa gets 2019.  If SJ makes the playoffs, it has no option with Buffalo, so Buffalo gets 2019 and Ottawa gets 2020.

This is all making me conditionally crazy, however, because the Senators website says this, which may as well be the same thing?

Dm_wA_GWsAEgvCG.jpg

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So we still get their 2019 1st when they make the playoffs?

Yes

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

As per Yerdon, it works a little differently.  If SJ misses the playoffs and exercises its right to slide Buffalo to 2020, and Ottawa gets 2019.  If SJ makes the playoffs, it has no option with Buffalo, so Buffalo gets 2019 and Ottawa gets 2020.

This is all making me conditionally crazy, however, because the Senators website says this, which may as well be the same thing?

Dm_wA_GWsAEgvCG.jpg

Why would the Sharks slide anything? Would they care? Its someone else's pick either way.

So going back and reading that, if the Sharks miss the playoffs, we could still get the pick unless they decide to give it to Ottawa instead? That's...weird

Edited by sabills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.