Erik Karlsson Traded to San Jose

WildCard

39 minutes ago, sabills said:

Why would the Sharks slide anything? Would they care? Its someone else's pick either way.

So going back and reading that, if the Sharks miss the playoffs, we could still get the pick unless they decide to give it to Ottawa instead? That's...weird

Ottawa probably demanded it.

11 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

That condition should be contested by the Sabres. They shouldn’t be allowed to play with a pick they already promised us. Not to mention, if they miss the playoffs in theory they could not defer 

The Sabres already promised SJ that they could play with it.

3 minutes ago, LTS said:

I just love the "You can't trade him back to the Eastern conference without giving us more." condition.

I interpret that clause as evidence that SJ does not in fact have an extension worked out with Karlsson.

Or perhaps they do, and Ottawa is just out to lunch on this too!

Just now, nfreeman said:

I interpret that clause as evidence that SJ does not in fact have an extension worked out with Karlsson.

Or perhaps they do, and Ottawa is just out to lunch on this too!

Certainly, but it's okay to trade him in the Western Conference... or trade him in the Western Conference to a team that moves him to the Eastern conference.

Were I the GM in Ottawa I would have written that if Karlsson ends up in the Eastern conference this year we get a better pick.  Or, I would have simply said, if you trade him at all.

I don't suspect there's any way Karlsson gets traded (unless the Sharks have a massive collapse or significant injury epidemic).  But... the possibility is there.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

This makes sense.. 

If SJ misses the playoffs this year, then they keep their 2019 1st which goes to OTT, and BUF get's their 2020 1st.  

If SJ makes the playoffs this year, BUF gets their 2019 1st, and OTT gets their 2020 1st.  

40 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

That condition should be contested by the Sabres. They shouldn’t be allowed to play with a pick they already promised us. Not to mention, if they miss the playoffs in theory they could not defer 

Literally nothing has changed with regards to the Sabres. They were always getting the 1st in 2019 if they made the playoffs, and always getting the 1st in 2020 if they didn't. 

11 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

What if SJ doesnt make playoffs in either and slide 2019 to Owawa then 2019 they are worse because Snarks lose Carlson to FA JT retires ecetera.  Would Sabres be better off with higher pick in 2020 and spreading out 1st rounder... thinking out loud?

No reason to spread them out. 

9 minutes ago, LTS said:

Certainly, but it's okay to trade him in the Western Conference... or trade him in the Western Conference to a team that moves him to the Eastern conference.

Were I the GM in Ottawa I would have written that if Karlsson ends up in the Eastern conference this year we get a better pick.  Or, I would have simply said, if you trade him at all.

I don't suspect there's any way Karlsson gets traded (unless the Sharks have a massive collapse or significant injury epidemic).  But... the possibility is there.

That is exactly what the condition says. 

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

That condition should be contested by the Sabres. They shouldn’t be allowed to play isith a pick they already promised us. Not to mention, if they miss the playoffs in theory they could not defer 

They AREN'T playing w/ the pick that belongs to the Sabres.  They are playing w/ their OTHER 1st round pick of the next 2 seasons.

Unlike the pick the Aisles decided to keep to use on DalColle (sp?), which team owns which of the next 2 SJ 1sts has already been spelled out.  SJ makes the playoffs, the 2019 #1 belongs to the Sabres.  SJ misses, & the Sabres get the 2020 #1.  No decision making occurs beyond that.  And SJ just decided to use their next available #1 as part of a package for Karlsson.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

You know what's insane about all this? Ottawa traded Hoffman to SJ who went right away and traded him to Florida for a better return. So what does Dorion and Ottawa do? They call San Jose right the fck back up and get shanked again. Unreal

Some people like anal. 

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

So we're guaranteed 16 points this year barring shenanigans 

5 hours ago, WildCard said:

Playing them 8 times, bound to lose at least one of them

Either you two are bad at math, or I have a fundamental misunderstanding of the current scheduling system.  And I miss the old one.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

what does this ultimately do to our Kane picks? 

I guess SJ is going all in.  They won't have anything in their pipeline for about 5 years until they start tanking on purpose.

Can we now officially say that Ott is tanking? 

Good question. If I'm reading it correct, we get their 19 pick if they make the playoffs? Ottawa gets it of they don't, throwing us to the 20 pick, is that correct?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.