Excitement Level For This Season!

GASabresIUFAN

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

FWIW I think our top six is actually a tiny bit worse this year. But it wasn't for nothing as our depth,D, and G were all worse last year than our top six and all were addressed heavily at the slight expense of the top six, which is quite logical as a whole

On paper, the top six is somewhere between a tiny bit worse and a lot worse and that is mostly dependent on the play of Casey Mittelstadt.

On the ice, a 90-Point Jack and a 60-Point Sam could change that.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

On paper, the top six is somewhere between a tiny bit worse and a lot worse and that is mostly dependent on the play of Casey Mittelstadt.

On the ice, a 90-Point Jack and a 60-Point Sam could change that.

Yep, it's certainly not a static thing. For example, you could even argue right now our top six is better than the END of last year, given Casey's probable progression and the absence of Kane, whereas taking a step back and including Kane and not knowing about Casey makes last year's look better overall. There's a real chance that by the END of this season we have better everything. 

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

First team I picked on my playstation (nhl 2000) , liked the uniform and started to check things out online, first time I heard RJ I was sold. ?

Class mate. My hometown team wear the same colours as the sabres, that's where my following comes from. 

• Like (+1) 2

Is the excitement already building.  Besides the fluff pieces on Jack, Thompson, Dahlin, Larsson, and Pommers so far, I think there is a positive vibe coming from the on ice performance already and Nylander is the catalyst.  

The Sabres went 2-1 in the prospect tourney scoring 17 goals in 3 games.  Top scorers were Nylander and Asplund.  Also saw good moments from Mittelstud, Thompson and Dahlin.

Game 1 of preseason: 4-1 Sabres win on the road. The hero?  Strong goaltending from Ullmark (and Johansson) plus 2 primary assists from Nylander.  Also a strong game from Thompson and Berglund.   Admittedly this was against a mostly AHL type team for the Jackets (and for the Sabres), but very positive to see Nylander continue his good play.  I listened to the play by play on my Radio app on my phone and am encouraged that Nylander also showed good hustle on the back check.  

Game 2 tonight in Buffalo likely featuring Jack and R2 (aka Ras).   

I'm going to just go with cautiously optimistic.

I am sure Dahlin will evolve into a superstar but how fast is anyone's guess. This is a whole new roster in many ways. Lots of guys who play a different sort of hockey then we saw last year. Lots of potential and possibilities but I'll be honest. I have no idea how good these St. Louis guys will be or the kids, or the goaltending or how any of this will gel or if they will finally play the way Housely promised, I simply have no idea.

I am hopeful the locker room problems are all gone and that Jack will step up and lead and it'll exceed expectations but I just don't know. I believe firmly we are finally on the right track and we will be better than last year but by how much and how fast, no idea. 

On 9/16/2018 at 8:38 AM, Huckleberry said:

First team I picked on my playstation (nhl 2000) , liked the uniform and started to check things out online, first time I heard RJ I was sold. ?

that's a cool story, I figured you were US military stationed there, I was way off!

I will be in your neck of the woods in late October.  3 days in Kaiserslautern, DE and 3 days near Amsterdam.  Hopefully the Sabres have a hot start and it will force me to stay awake all night to watch them with my NHL app.

My excitement level is usually quite high to start a new season, but that's in part because I sometimes forget over the summer that somehow the Sabres are usually "that team" that always manages to put together a laundry list of injuries from the word "go". 

Hearing today that Sheary, Malone, Hunwick, and Bogosian are all already hurt deflates that excitement balloon a little bit. 

How did the games with Toronto make you feel?

I feel good about our goaltending.  I feel good about our depth.  I think Pilut is making a strong case for starting in the NHL. I loved our compete both games. I think we looked like a mich more competitive team then last season already. I really like Thompson.

I worry about Casey and Dahlin early in the season, but not lomg-term.  I also worry about our finish 5 on 5, but I also saw a lot more opportunities. 

My excitement level is about the same as it was before camp started.  A few of my questions have been answered, such as goaltending, Thompson and Pilut.  A few concerns, mostly about the top prospects have cropped up.  

Still, I’m very excited for the start of the season.  I feel we’ll compete harder then last season and Hutton will keep us in more games.  

The home and home against Toronto has me convinced that we are still a fair amount behind them overall.

I'm less concerned about goaltending.  Still concerned about our ability to deal with a fast, hard forechecking team in out own zone.  And I think we are going to live and die by the production of Jack's line.  Secondary scoring is going to be a problem.  But I think the bottom six is going to be NHL caliber,.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

The home and home against Toronto has me convinced that we are still a fair amount behind them overall.

I'm less concerned about goaltending.  Still concerned about our ability to deal with a fast, hard forechecking team in out own zone.  And I think we are going to live and die by the production of Jack's line.  Secondary scoring is going to be a problem.  But I think the bottom six is going to be NHL caliber,.

I have been tempering my expectations and the Leafs games did not even effect that outlook.  I also am coming around to the idea of giving Jack some a plug and a kid and let him freelance just to add secondary scoring down the roster.  I think when,if the kids get call ups they won’t go back and and the style of play will be more enjoyable.  I fear that HCPH may not be willing gamble on too many youngins so I do not think we will see the speed upgrade to compete with similarly speedy teams like last night.  I hope to be rooting for the kids as opposed to watching the twilight of Okposo and Pommers.  

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How did the games with Toronto make you feel?

I feel good about our goaltending.  I feel good about our depth.  I think Pilut is making a strong case for starting in the NHL. I loved our compete both games. I think we looked like a mich more competitive team then last season already. I really like Thompson.

I worry about Casey and Dahlin early in the season, but not lomg-term.  I also worry about our finish 5 on 5, but I also saw a lot more opportunities. 

My excitement level is about the same as it was before camp started.  A few of my questions have been answered, such as goaltending, Thompson and Pilut.  A few concerns, mostly about the top prospects have cropped up.  

Still, I’m very excited for the start of the season.  I feel we’ll compete harder then last season and Hutton will keep us in more games.  

3 hours ago, Weave said:

2 good posts here.

I think Casey will have a good season overall, but will have some rough spots.  Dahlin will have a few hiccups but will be terrific and much more solid and consistent than Casey.  When Casey is in a rut, Weave's concern about 2ndary scoring will likely be borne out, but there's reason for general optimism that a few of Casey, Thompson, KO, Sheary, Sobotka, Berglund and perhaps Asplund and/or Nylander will be contributing at any given time. 

And as I posted elsewhere, if the top line is Skinner-Eichel-Reino, that line could be very dangerous pretty much every shift.

I agree that the D will get hemmed in and look overmatched from time to time.

So far I like what I see from Hutton, who is mission-critical.

Hell yes I'm optimistic.

• Like (+1) 1

My hope is that this season the team doesn't need to try and revert it's game style like it did last year.  They are going to struggle, but they will come out ahead if they stick with it. Last year Housley was forced to back off this style because the team simply could not play it.  This team is built for the game they needed to play.

It's likely to be a bit more high risk/high reward type hockey.  I think I can live with it.

My expectation is that they beat a tired Bruin squad opening night & then play about 0.450 through November.  They play DeLuca 0.500 in December & January and then are GOOD from February on.  Expecting about 89 points.

If they can be closer to NHL 0.500 early, maybe they can sneak into the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

My expectation is that they beat a tired Bruin squad opening night & then play about 0.450 through November.  They play DeLuca 0.500 in December & January and then are GOOD from February on.  Expecting about 89 points.

If they can be closer to NHL 0.500 early, maybe they can sneak into the playoffs.

How are the Bruins going to be tired on opening night? ?

It also stands to remember that the Leafs were tied for 6th overall in the NHL last year, and added Tavares. We of course aren't on their level yet, and have a ways to go, but in reality they aren't our competition right now. The Sabres can be ill-equipped to match up with the Leafs as of now, and still be much improved, potentially even while challenging for a Wild Card spot. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It also stands to remember that the Leafs were tied for 6th overall in the NHL last year, and added Tavares. We of course aren't on their level yet, and have a ways to go, but in reality they aren't our competition right now. The Sabres can be ill-equipped to match up with the Leafs as of now, and still be much improved, potentially even while challenging for a Wild Card spot. 

Nice post Thorny, I kind of feel like some of these posters need a heart transplant after last season. You gotta believe people, we're going to be much better than last year. Great, I don't think so but much better, Toronto is what we should strive to get to right now but we're not there yet. After reading some of the posts in the last 2 days, I watched the Saturday game on tape. Mistakes yes but I thought they should have won that game. A seeing eye goal beat them and Jeff-Jack and Samson looked like the best line we've had in I don't remember when. What I'm most optimistic about is Hutton. A goalie who can make save and pass, holy molie, who was the last guy who could do that *to.*

Inky is that the right *to*?? 

You've gotta have heart
All you really need is heart
When the odds are sayin' you'll never win
That's when the grin should start
You've gotta have hope
Mustn't sit around and mope
Nothin's half as bad as it may appear
Wait'll next year and hope
When your luck is battin' zero
Get your chin up off the floor
Mister you can be a hero
You can open any door, there's nothin' to it but to do it
You've gotta have heart
Miles 'n miles n' miles of heart
Oh, it's fine to be a genius of course
But keep that old horse 
Before the cart
First you've gotta have heart

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.