Robin Lehner Opens Up About His Bipolar Disorder and Alcoholism

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Third and final?  No.  Not in this sport and not in this league.

Maybe I lost track of the conversation. Third and final Sabre with mental health issues? That would be unlikely. I'm starting to think everyone's afflicted with something, that it's almost the default setting for the human brain. Some clearly have it worse than others.

This is true especially for the Sabres, since they're a young team, but younger folk have a hard time dealing with mental instability in others.  I can imagine even the most "mature" young player still being affected over the long term because, again, these guys are stuck in close quarters together over prolonged periods of time.  A way of life average people probably can't grasp.

Their egos and emotions would still turn around on themselves.  Middle aged adults would have a hard time in that atmosphere.  So, I think that's the reason you see Pommenstein, Eichel, and others with big smiles going into this year, it's like a huge weight taken off the core of their being.  It's going to be a different year.

KO's issues are certainly far more manageable, from what I understand, but the key ingredient there is that he has a family to motivate him to stay "right".  

These changes, alone, should make a drastic difference in the play of the team.  I guarantee this is part of the "rediscover" comment from ROR, and it actually applies to all on the roster to whatever degree.  Once these guys figure out this all can be fun, like really fun, watch out.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

As this thought relates to Lehner, it's nonsense. Have we really reached a point where athletes — any performer, really — can't be criticized, even in a mean way? It's the mask these people wear. When it's on, they're fair game, and they all know it. Very few people who criticized Lehner were criticizing Lehner the person. Come on.

No reason to.

First, I don't think just because of what they do they should be subjected to any different standard.  Treat them the same as you would the barista getting your coffee.  Why is there a reason to treat them differently?  One makes saves, one makes coffee.  Both might be very good at what they do or not.  Is it because they make "millions of dollars" so they can take it?

Money can afford a lot of treatment but it never prevents the cause.  It can't cure mental health issues, it can't cure alcoholism, and it can't stop bullets.

So, why treat an athlete any differently than your local bartender? 

12 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I agree with PA — criticizing Lehner for his performance as a hockey player is legitimate and nothing to apologize for.  It’s OK to feel empathy for him and wish him well as a person while still expressing dissatisfaction with his play.  

Let me summarize my feelings this way.  There's a world of difference in saying "You're a POS goaltender." and "You're a POS." 

56 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Maybe I lost track of the conversation. Third and final Sabre with mental health issues? That would be unlikely. I'm starting to think everyone's afflicted with something, that it's almost the default setting for the human brain. Some clearly have it worse than others.

I meant specifically with alcohol issues, but maybe I'm the one who lost track.  

12 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Interesting to see him sans a beard 

5C7408A3-C7EC-4CA2-934C-5DEA79578E1F.jpeg

Funny but had you not said so I wouldn't have known that was Robin. Thats on me I guess but without seeing the pads he could be any of the isles players. Perhaps in a Sabres jersey it would have been apparent. Glad he's reached out and is getting the help he needs. I can fully imagine how terrible it would have been had he done harm to himself or his family last season. I'm hoping he turns his life and career around.

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.