Yzerman Stepping Down as TB GM!

GASabresIUFAN

@JSportsnet
Steve Yzerman's resignation in TB has everything to do with quality of life. Steve has always been completely committed to any task at hand. If not, he would feel guilty that he was taking Vinik's money. Right now, being away from family and too much travel was taking a toll.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

@JSportsnet
Steve Yzerman's resignation in TB has everything to do with quality of life. Steve has always been completely committed to any task at hand. If not, he would feel guilty that he was taking Vinik's money. Right now, being away from family and too much travel was taking a toll.

Sooooo, guess the speculation that he's going to be Detroit's next GM is spot on.

I think it's Detroit, and it's not just because Yzerman played there.  Yzerman, since his playing days, has always wanted the GM job in DET.  He was a VP from retirement in 2006 to 2010.  In early 2010, Mike Ilitch tried to promote Ken Holland in order to make room for Yzerman as GM.  Holland turned down the promotion.  Yzerman left that spring for Tampa after turning down the Minnesota GM job.  Ken Holland signed a four year extension in 2014 through this past season.  Mike Ilitch passed away in February of 2017.

Yzerman signed a four year extension back in 2014 (with one year left on his previous), meaning he's got a job with TBL through the end of this season. 

This spring, Ken Holland signed a two year extension, meaning he's got a contract through the next two seasons.  However, Jeff Blashill has only one year left on his contract.

I could easily see, in the spring of 2019, Holland being promoted (not likely fired, as he currently has 35 years with DET, but possible if he refuses again with Mike in the ground) and Blashill being fired (after missing the playoffs 2+ times), and giving the GM job to Yzerman with the ability to hire a new coach.  FWIW, Detroit still has all of their picks in 2019 plus a 2nd and two 5ths, potentially a cushy start for a GM.

I don't think it happens right now: Yzerman says he stays in TB, Holland just signed a new contract five months ago, and FWIW, Blashill's about to go to camp and likely wouldn't be fired right away.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

11 hours ago, WildCard said:

@JSportsnet

This is always pure garbage, of course.

I'll be stepping down from SabreSpace effective at noon, to spend more time with family.

11 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Exhibit A in the case against megathreads. I wouldn't have known this happened without this new thread.

The only reason I didn't create a thread, and i honestly thought about it, was because this was not Sabres news and I wasn't sure if the board wanted new threads for non sabres news. Anything big in the future if I see it I will try and thread it instead. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

The only reason I didn't create a thread, and i honestly thought about it, was because this was not Sabres news and I wasn't sure if the board wanted new threads for non sabres news. Anything big in the future if I see it I will try and thread it instead. 

Might as well. I mean, it's August.

13 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Exhibit A in the case against megathreads. I wouldn't have known this happened without this new thread.

If you depend on Sabrespace for NHL news and you don't read the Around the NHL thread, well then of course you will be ill-informed.  That's on you, not on a megathread.

16 hours ago, darksabre said:

He's goin to Detroit

But it doesn't say he's going to work for the Red Wings.  Just that he's going to the city.

After this year, they'll have 2, maybe 3 viable D-men. Yzerman did a great job building this team, he's also put them in cap hell moving forward. He probably figures if he quits now, the new guy can take the fall for when they need to trade half the team to be able to afford to keep a team together. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.