Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Let's Go B-Lo

Youth Hockey Grins and Gripes

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Taro T said:

Yeah, PYH just got a huge infusion of Pegulabucks and will have very strong ties to the Amerks (much to RYH's chagrin).  Don't be surprised to see more tie-ins in the near future.

I have nothing but bitterness for PYH and RYH for how they've managed to screw around with youth hockey in Rochester.  They're not alone but the shenanigans they pulled last year really ticked me off.  Screwing around with the AAA programs has a cascading effect that impacts those who didn't want to be part of that BS.

Honestly glad my kid is almost done with hockey.  Sadly my daugher has taken up volleyball and that's possibly even more insane than hockey between the money hungry for-profit programs and the nutjob parents.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, French Collection said:

Hockey weather here, snow and minus 16 C.

I wouldn’t mind a round of golf though.

Good luck!

Haha, yeah played a round Thur morning at Tustin Ranch, shorts and short sleeve at 7:30a, can't complain!

Beat the Jr Ducks yesterday 6-3, have the Jr Kings this morning will be a tougher matchup.

Good luck up in Soo!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LTS said:

and that's possibly even more insane than hockey between the money hungry for-profit programs and the nutjob parents.

Every sport has become this.  Best basketball player at our school didn't play for the school this year to focus on AAU.  Not surprisingly, without the specter of eligibility hanging over his head his grades and his behavior have tanked to the point that he's on the verge of getting expelled from a public school.  But yeah those HS schollies will be rolling in anyway and some college will happily make him a one and done like his brother was.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since this was my thread and it got revived (thank you) I might as well chime in.  My kid is up to 5'8" 145lbs and is just finishing up his 13U year (turns 14 in late May).  Switched clubs as you can tell from my avatar and had some good coaching this year.  Point totals went down but his team didn't score much in general and he was playing the game the right way much more , doing way less freelancing, and playing against better players so all of that is a natural consequence.  He will finish up with 1 goal and 12 assists which is actually the team lead at his position and the other 3 D we have are 14.  He got better in several areas he was lacking in which is all you can ask.  He moved up an age group and a level this year, overcame a broken arm early in the year and weathered a 6 week period where he was the only healthy defenseman on the team after other guys got hurt.  It was a baptism by fire and he came out stronger on the other side.  He's hoping to make a AA team next year and I think he has a decent chance given his size, his skating, and his offensive upside.  He's not usually a big hitter but he will tag someone every now and again and he's not afraid to mix it up in the corners and in front and he will stand up for himself and his teammates which is also good.  He has always had a bit of a short fuse in Pee Wees and lower and he has gotten that more under control since his fighting ejection in December (He got boarded really badly, got up, and beat the kid down. You don't condone it, but....).   He served his suspension and has done a good job of walking the line of appropriateness since.  Hopefully he can play AA as a 2nd year Bantam and keep showing year over year improvement.  That would give him a good foothold going into U15 and U16.  He's not the best player in the world and frankly his mother and I made some decisions that probably held him back a little but if he keeps working at it I don't think it's too late for him to make a little name for himself.  Whatever, he's having fun and that's what matters.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only comment on this is that whenever they have a little game with Mites between periods at NHL games, I DO NOT LEAVE MY SEAT and love watching the action.

Nothing cuter than watching those little guys with full equipment hovering in packs around the puck! LOL.

There is almost always 1 kid whose skills are well advanced beyond everyone else's.  He gets the puck, keeps it, takes off, and ends up with a scoring chance...which may or may not be successful and his shot may well end up with both shooter and goaltender falling to the ice! 

It's a lot of fun to watch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2020 at 1:57 PM, Kruppstahl said:

My only comment on this is that whenever they have a little game with Mites between periods at NHL games, I DO NOT LEAVE MY SEAT and love watching the action.

Nothing cuter than watching those little guys with full equipment hovering in packs around the puck! LOL.

There is almost always 1 kid whose skills are well advanced beyond everyone else's.  He gets the puck, keeps it, takes off, and ends up with a scoring chance...which may or may not be successful and his shot may well end up with both shooter and goaltender falling to the ice! 

It's a lot of fun to watch.

 

That is such a racket too. I dunno how it is in Buffalo but in Philly you have to buy a minimum of 50 full price tickets and you get 3 minutes on the ice. It's cool to do once, and that's about it. 

I know the time my kid did it we all had to pay 55 dollars for tickets that were 8 bucks on the secondary market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

That is such a racket too. I dunno how it is in Buffalo but in Philly you have to buy a minimum of 50 full price tickets and you get 3 minutes on the ice. It's cool to do once, and that's about it. 

I know the time my kid did it we all had to pay 55 dollars for tickets that were 8 bucks on the secondary market.

Same in Anaheim and LA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2020 at 2:56 PM, Taro T said:

Yeah, PYH just got a huge infusion of Pegulabucks and will have very strong ties to the Amerks (much to RYH's chagrin).  Don't be surprised to see more tie-ins in the near future.

Youth hockey insider eh! https://www.amerks.com/article/AMERKS, PYH ANNOUNCE LAUNCH OF JUNIOR AMERKS ORGANIZATION

PYH is the only local youth hockey organization recognized by The Rochester Americans and Rochester Hockey LLC to use the Jr. Americans and Rochester Americans trademarks

So Blades is being retired?  What about Monarchs?  Will be tough to compete for Collins and company at Roco I suspect.  Or maybe they are tied to Bishop Kearney prep stuff?  I'm out, my son is final year U18.  Thinking Webster looks even nicer now though,  generally lower key if you aren't chasing the dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Youth hockey insider eh! https://www.amerks.com/article/AMERKS, PYH ANNOUNCE LAUNCH OF JUNIOR AMERKS ORGANIZATION

PYH is the only local youth hockey organization recognized by The Rochester Americans and Rochester Hockey LLC to use the Jr. Americans and Rochester Americans trademarks

So Blades is being retired?  What about Monarchs?  Will be tough to compete for Collins and company at Roco I suspect.  Or maybe they are tied to Bishop Kearney prep stuff?  I'm out, my son is final year U18.  Thinking Webster looks even nicer now though,  generally lower key if you aren't chasing the dream.

Collins and company tend to sow some fairly dissenting seeds wherever they end up.  RYH was doing okay but then decided to jump in with that family after that family lost the Red Wings logo and Bonsigniore.  All kinds of silliness followed and lots of people left.  Then PYH had a bit of turmoil. Hell last year they even worked out an arrangement with RYH so Collins had the top 15U and Monarchs had the top 16U.  Like everything else in the ego filled land of youth hockey, it was not going to last.

Drama everywhere... 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son made a AA team for the Spring (assuming they even play now).  He's excited. He has put in a lot of work over the years and I'm proud of him.  

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 6:15 PM, Getpucksdeep said:

Youth hockey insider eh! https://www.amerks.com/article/AMERKS, PYH ANNOUNCE LAUNCH OF JUNIOR AMERKS ORGANIZATION

PYH is the only local youth hockey organization recognized by The Rochester Americans and Rochester Hockey LLC to use the Jr. Americans and Rochester Americans trademarks

So Blades is being retired?  What about Monarchs?  Will be tough to compete for Collins and company at Roco I suspect.  Or maybe they are tied to Bishop Kearney prep stuff?  I'm out, my son is final year U18.  Thinking Webster looks even nicer now though,  generally lower key if you aren't chasing the dream.

All the boys teams will be Junior Amerks now - no more Blades nor Monarchs.  There will be consistent branding in both travel & house.

The girls teams will still be the Edge.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume everyone else is messed up because of the shutdown also right? Nothing in April, registrations happening now in some places but not others, tryouts cancelled and changed to a register and eval process instead, lots of rinks still closed.

Good times overall.

Changing teams again this year. Last year's club gave us 24 hours to make a binding commitment for the year with no idea who his coach would be, what level he'd be slotted at, nothing. We said no thank you. We haven't signed anywhere yet but we live on the border of two districts. Atlantic division is open and can register. Potomac Valley cannot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2020 at 7:59 PM, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I assume everyone else is messed up because of the shutdown also right? Nothing in April, registrations happening now in some places but not others, tryouts cancelled and changed to a register and eval process instead, lots of rinks still closed.

Good times overall.

Changing teams again this year. Last year's club gave us 24 hours to make a binding commitment for the year with no idea who his coach would be, what level he'd be slotted at, nothing. We said no thank you. We haven't signed anywhere yet but we live on the border of two districts. Atlantic division is open and can register. Potomac Valley cannot.

NYS went with non-tryout selections.  Basically players had to indicate their interest in a team and the coach could pick anyone they wanted who indicated interest.  Frankly I think this is fine since coaches are generally going to pick the people they want/like anyway.

Bottom line, my son is on a new team this year.  Apparently the new coach of his old team and his buddies (from our team last year) didn't feel like having us back.  Whatever, thanks for being clear in how shallow you are in life.

I barely paid attention to the whole process.  I'm too busy working, and at age 16, I think my kid can figure out what he wants to do.  If not.. then he's learning a lesson that he needs those skills.

So.. new team.  It'll likely not be very good. So be it.  I'm so over youth sports..

But he will be a Jr. Amerk.... so... yay?  Just get me to HS hockey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LTS said:

NYS went with non-tryout selections.  Basically players had to indicate their interest in a team and the coach could pick anyone they wanted who indicated interest.  Frankly I think this is fine since coaches are generally going to pick the people they want/like anyway.

I think that's what it was like for U-16s here too but I'm not sure.  My son is still a Bantam so we were supposed to sign a contract with the organization and they would assign you to a team later with zero idea of which team that would be, who the coach would be and, unsurprisingly, the hockey politics were in full gear with spots being given out left and right before they should have been.  The club will have 5 teams and 5 coaches at that age group from AA to B. If you didn't like where you ended up a month from now, too bad, you were on the hook to pay for the season.  They built in a COVID release so you could get out of a contract, but if you used it you couldn't play for anybody in the District this season. 

I feel like this situation brought out the worst in what people complain about youth hockey. I was looking forward to it being different this year because u14 was supposed to go to a tryout system where you could skate for multiple organizations before signing a contract, the clubs would have to declare their intentions and offer spots (like u16 and 18) and you'd be able to choose.   It gave the kids some empowerment in the process.  Come out, skate well, meet the coaches a little, meet the other players, earn a spot, know what the club thinks about you up front and choose what path you want.  They ditched that and went back to the you sign up and one place and are stuck there no matter what system so the bigger clubs are hoarding as many players as possible and you end up with kids getting hosed out of opportunities to advance. The kids have no empowerment and get assigned somewhere by someone else.  At 13 and 14 they are old enough to be part of the process and this system prevents a good part of that from happening.  All they can do is pick what sweater they want to wear. All the other things that come into play are out of their hands and if they want to play at all they need to suck it up or buy out their own contract at a cost of several thousand dollars which most parents won't do.

We will see how this works out, I think I know where he will end up and it will be good for him, it's just less convenient for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2020 at 5:24 PM, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I think that's what it was like for U-16s here too but I'm not sure.  My son is still a Bantam so we were supposed to sign a contract with the organization and they would assign you to a team later with zero idea of which team that would be, who the coach would be and, unsurprisingly, the hockey politics were in full gear with spots being given out left and right before they should have been.  The club will have 5 teams and 5 coaches at that age group from AA to B. If you didn't like where you ended up a month from now, too bad, you were on the hook to pay for the season.  They built in a COVID release so you could get out of a contract, but if you used it you couldn't play for anybody in the District this season. 

I feel like this situation brought out the worst in what people complain about youth hockey. I was looking forward to it being different this year because u14 was supposed to go to a tryout system where you could skate for multiple organizations before signing a contract, the clubs would have to declare their intentions and offer spots (like u16 and 18) and you'd be able to choose.   It gave the kids some empowerment in the process.  Come out, skate well, meet the coaches a little, meet the other players, earn a spot, know what the club thinks about you up front and choose what path you want.  They ditched that and went back to the you sign up and one place and are stuck there no matter what system so the bigger clubs are hoarding as many players as possible and you end up with kids getting hosed out of opportunities to advance. The kids have no empowerment and get assigned somewhere by someone else.  At 13 and 14 they are old enough to be part of the process and this system prevents a good part of that from happening.  All they can do is pick what sweater they want to wear. All the other things that come into play are out of their hands and if they want to play at all they need to suck it up or buy out their own contract at a cost of several thousand dollars which most parents won't do.

We will see how this works out, I think I know where he will end up and it will be good for him, it's just less convenient for me.

 

It's youth sports.. I am resigned to it always being the worst possible scenario.. and then each year someone else says "Hold my beer..."

We were informed the "equipment" for the season will be over $800.  It seems the Jr. Amerks are going all in on the appearance.  Nothing like requiring full, mid-weight warm-ups for a team that won't play a game after October. 

I'm about to pull the plug on the whole situation honestly. The only thing keeping me from doing it is absolutely crushing my kid by saying, "Sorry dude, we can't afford for you to play this season."  This season will be the most we've ever paid, by far.  He's two years away from competitive level beer league.. let's not kid ourselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LTS said:

It's youth sports.. I am resigned to it always being the worst possible scenario.. and then each year someone else says "Hold my beer..."

We were informed the "equipment" for the season will be over $800.  It seems the Jr. Amerks are going all in on the appearance.  Nothing like requiring full, mid-weight warm-ups for a team that won't play a game after October. 

I'm about to pull the plug on the whole situation honestly. The only thing keeping me from doing it is absolutely crushing my kid by saying, "Sorry dude, we can't afford for you to play this season."  This season will be the most we've ever paid, by far.  He's two years away from competitive level beer league.. let's not kid ourselves. 

Stinks that they're going all in on the full (clothing) experience package.  The saving grace for most in their program is that the players will not have to rebuy that stuff next year provided they don't outgrow it.

The plan is to not alter those other items for several years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TG my kid quit in midgets... now 16 6'3"

and into gaming, guitar, girls and golf in that order Ill take it but his new computer cost $1400 so he can live stream.  Hopefully he makes some money off it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son’s hockey season is in limbo right now. 
He plays AAA and it is his draft year for the OHL. All I am hearing now is that they may allow practising but games may be on hold for a while due to travel. Our league includes towns that are 6 hours away.

Showcase tournaments and program of excellence camps are cancelled as well.

Oh well, push the Midget draft back a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Taro T said:

Stinks that they're going all in on the full (clothing) experience package.

I agree, this feels like a good year to back off that stuff if only to help the parents out a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I agree, this feels like a good year to back off that stuff if only to help the parents out a little.

Tough to do that when the entire organization has just been COMPLETELY rebranded and they are actually usurping another local organization's name & color scheme.  (Because they actually have the Pegulas blessing to use the name & color scheme and the Pegulas own the trademark.  Guess it's good to be based out of Mrs. P's hometown.)

Edited by Taro T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Taro T said:

Tough to do that when the entire organization has just been COMPLETELY rebranded and they are actually usurping another local organization's name & color scheme.  (Because they actually have the Pegulas blessing to use the name & color scheme and the Pegulas own the trademark.  Guess it's good to be based out of Mrs. P's hometown.)

Yeah, that doesn't help. Bad timing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2020 at 12:07 PM, Taro T said:

Stinks that they're going all in on the full (clothing) experience package.  The saving grace for most in their program is that the players will not have to rebuy that stuff next year provided they don't outgrow it.

The plan is to not alter those other items for several years.

Well good news.  The package for the older kids does not require all the stuff to be purchased so the costs are less.  Just uniforms, socks, etc.  That's normal and expected.

The warmups, hockey bag, etc. all waived. Mostly because kids, at age 16, wear jackets and ties to games... as they should.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...