Sign in to follow this  
Let's Go B-Lo

Youth Hockey Grins and Gripes

I can't be only one with a little player at home.  Anybody else want to share your highs and lows?  I'll start

My son had 2 non-league games this weekend against a team that is a division ahead of his team.  My son's team is a mixed 2006-2007 team.  The 06 kids are pretty good but they don't have much help from the 07's so when they play better teams they are over matched.  Anyway, they had a home and home this weekend which is always a recipe for disaster.  My boy plays defense and tends to take it personally when they give up a lot of goals.  He held it together until 2:33 left in the 3rd of the second game when he decided to flatten the other team's best skater. 2 mins for checking, 10 minute misconduct for head contact.  Two bad losses and 16 PIMs in one weekend.  Ugh.

15 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I can't be only one with a little player at home.  Anybody else want to share your highs and lows?  I'll start

My son had 2 non-league games this weekend against a team that is a division ahead of his team.  My son's team is a mixed 2006-2007 team.  The 06 kids are pretty good but they don't have much help from the 07's so when they play better teams they are over matched.  Anyway, they had a home and home this weekend which is always a recipe for disaster.  My boy plays defense and tends to take it personally when they give up a lot of goals.  He held it together until 2:33 left in the 3rd of the second game when he decided to flatten the other team's best skater. 2 mins for checking, 10 minute misconduct for head contact.  Two bad losses and 16 PIMs in one weekend.  Ugh.

Look at it positively......you only have 2:33 out of 120:00 minutes to work on. Sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders and lots of patience.

Good luck to him and help him keep it fun.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

1 minute ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Look at it positively......you only have 2:33 out of 120:00 minutes to work on. Sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders and lots of patience.

If he did it next year it's 50/50 that it's even a penalty.  Checking starts next year and he caught the kid with his head down.  The evil part of me didn't have an issue.

We gave up hockey for hoops 4 years ago. The one sport I've never played lol. Oh well, the kid retired with 0 concussions and a good foundation to start his skiing career. Can't say that I miss the rink any. Not for youth hockey anyway. Beer league is a different story.

He liked playing hockey but he didn't love it. Hockey is far too expensive if you don't love it. Oh well, he scored a couple goals and he still likes to skate every now and again. He can never play again, or he can play beer league with his (not so) old man in 7 years. Time will tell, but him playing club or travel is definitely out.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ubkev said:

Hockey is far too expensive if you don't love it.

Agreed.  He plays hockey and lacrosse now.  He did baseball for awhile to placate me (I'm a baseball coach) but he didn't really like doing it.  Tried soccer when he was small, he hated that soooo much.

5 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Agreed.  He plays hockey and lacrosse now.  He did baseball for awhile to placate me (I'm a baseball coach) but he didn't really like doing it.  Tried soccer when he was small, he hated that soooo much.

My kid is almost my exact opposite. He showed no interest in sports until he was about 7 or 8. He still won't watch them on TV. He thinks they are so boring! He loved baseball...until he went in a slump. He liked hockey ok enough. He really likes (and is good at) basketball. I taught him to ski last year(at 13 years old) and he was like a duck in water and he really loves it, which is good because I ski every single day in the winter and we can hang out more. 

Now that I'm thinking about it more I do miss watching his hockey games. I don't miss the practices, but I miss watching him skate, getting better every shift and every game. 

And then another parent would annoy me. 😛

• Like (+1) 1

Pretty much the path of mine hockey, then basketball, then snow boarding and baseball till he lost his rythym growing too fast.  Kid is now 6’1” 185 playing JV football as a linebacker.  He loves snowboarding and now with his height basketball again. PS he is only 14.

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

Pretty much the path of mine hockey, then basketball, then snow boarding and baseball till he lost his rythym growing too fast.  Kid is now 6’1” 185 playing JV football as a linebacker.  He loves snowboarding and now with his height basketball again. PS he is only 14.

Oh boy...mines 14. 5'6" 111. He's skinnnnnny! I wasn't 5'6" til I graduated and I didn't reach my current, very impressive 5'9" til I was 20ish. He's grown 10 inches in 2 years. I'm so jealous. He'll be 6' soon.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

If he did it next year it's 50/50 that it's even a penalty.  Checking starts next year and he caught the kid with his head down.  The evil part of me didn't have an issue.

Head contact is allowed/justifiable at a certain age level?

14 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Well, he at least earned his first aggressive play penalty.  Only a few more misconducts and he'll get a suspension. 🙂

Mine is an 04 playing AA.  Should be an interesting year now that the kids have a year of checking under their belt.  I suspect I'll see a lot harder hits this year.  He might make the varsity hockey team as well... hoo boy.

I love hockey in all forms.  I dislike the parents usually in all forms.  I video the games but I am thinking about doing a documentary on parent conduct this year instead.

11 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

There is no allowable head contact with USA Hockey.  What gets driven into the referees heads is that even if it LOOKS like it might have been head contact you should call it. Big hits often get called too. 

I'll sit by and watch for a while.  My family and I traveled with two sons, on three teams a year, throughout Florida, the Southeast, and into the North!   Oh, the stories!

13 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

No, thing is he didn't hit him in the head.  At this level I see that any time there is a particularly heavy hit it gets called whether or not there was head contact or not.  Next year the hit itself would have been legal (from the front, shoulder to chest, didn't take a run, didn't board) so it's 50/50 whether or not it would have crossed that line into "too many people in the stands are yelling so this needs to be called".  The kid just had his head down and didn't see him coming.  My kid stopped in front of him as he was coming off the half wall and basically let the kid skate into him near the circle.  My kid is 5'5" 115lbs at 12.  The other kid was probably 5' 85lbs.

The DVHL (Delaware Valley Hockey League), IMO tends to be a fairly goonish league and they do a terrible job of policing this stuff so you get a lot of inconsistency from rink to rink.  Our rink calls it fairly close most of the time.  Other rinks it wouldn't have been called at 9U let alone at 14U.  Philadelphia Blazers tend to be fairly excessive at all levels, which to me makes it an organizational problem not an individual kid problem.  When almost all of your teams are at or near the top in suspensions and PIMs every year it's not the kids anymore.  You follow the procedures and report the parents who are calling for murderous acts against 11 year old, or the ones who call an 11 year old princess the whole game because he's talented and has long hair (game I was watching, not even involving our team) the parents just deny it the league turns a blind eye and the cycle repeats itself.  It's shameful that it's allowed to happen - everyone in the league knows who the bad actors are and still nothing happens.  it frankly makes it hard to be a good hockey parent.  You want your kid to play the game correctly but you also know that if he doesn't have any snarl at all he's going to get killed and a lot of the time the refs will let it happen. Learning to walk that line is hard, hence this weekend.

Edited by Let's Go B-Lo

I wouldn't worry too much about the penalty, that stuff goes away next year (assuming your son is an 06) when he moves up to Bantam.     

I have 2 boys that play, one is an 06' the other an 03'.     Both are playing AA for the first time this season.     My 06' moved up from PWBB last year so there's been a bit of a learning curve as he adjusts to the speed and lack of time/space with the puck at that level.      He's played defense his entire career thus far, and he's a big fan of Rasmus Ristolainen, he even wears his number.   That said, the coached moved him to 3rd line wing 2 weeks ago because he was getting beat too much 1-on-1, so he was very disappointed.   At the AA level 3rd line doesn' t play very much.    We talked about it and decided to look at it as an opportunity and just go out work everybody at practice, try to get better everyday, etc, etc....   Long story short...   he scored two goals his first league game this past Sunday in a 5-3 win, won the hard hat and coached moved him up to the 2nd line.     So yeah, ups and downs, it's a roller coaster.    

Meanwhile my 06' is Dec 26 birthday, which is terrible.... every 2 years when he moves up he's the youngest kid in the league, and has to play against kids 2 years older than him.  USA Hockey sets the age cutoff half-way through the season (Dec 31st) which is just dumb.    When I played it was Aug 31st or thereabouts, such that you make sure every kid is at least a certain age when the season starts.    So this season he's a first year Midget, but he won't be 15 until the season is more than half-way over... so as a 14 year old he'll play against 16 year olds for more than half the season.     He's a very good skater and likes to hit, so he handles it well, but man, some kids are literally twice as big as he is.    Last season his BNTM A team was one of the top in the state, this year his 16AA team is terrible, but it's a good challenge for him, he's a tough kid and he's enjoying it.    

Club Hockey in SoCal is a dirty business, rinks are privately owned, coaches are allowed to charge whatever they want for private lessons, parents (the one paying the coaches extra $$$ for private lessons, etc..) have too much say in who makes the team and how much playing time kids get and whatnot.    It's highly corrupt and easy to get sucked into the system of paying for all these extra sticktimes and lessons just to make sure your kid gets a regular shift or just to make the team.     These coaches are trying to make a living just coaching, and here in Orange County it's not the cheapest place to live, so they milk the parents every chance they get... and there's no avoiding it as a parent.    You either pay or kid doesn't make the team or he doesn't play... unless he's a superstar.   

Grin:  Decent stat line so far.  In 13 games at defense he has 3 goals 6 assists, 30 PIMs and is +12

Groan: We have 2 goalies.  One has a .915 save percentage.  The other has a .779 save percentage.  The coach is playing them equally.  It's hard to play hockey when about 1 of every 4 shots is going into the net compared to one of every 12.  Yesterday the better goalie played, they allowed 35 shots including some Grade A chances, and won 3-2.  Today the lousy goalie played, they allowed 19 shots with no more than 1 being a quality chance and lost 5-4.  By the 3rd period the other team is just trying to hoist the puck on net from anywhere because there is a decent chance it's going in from anywhere.  A couple games ago a kid blooped a puck in from just inside the red line.  It arced over the goalie's head and into the net.  He never saw it.  Never even flinched.  Game before that we were down 3-0 in the 1st period on 4 shots.  They only had 8 in the game and we had to come back to win.

Grin: 8 goals, 9 assists +25  Had a shorty this weekend. Intercepted a pass, split the D and had a breakaway.  Forehand, backhand, top corner.

Gripe: 58 pims though no 2 and 10's since the first weekend.  Lots of matching minors, he's good at bringing kids with him.

Gripe: the kid wants to go up to B-Lo to see the Sabres and we have hockey every damned weekend from now until Mid-March.

Gripe: officials that don't call penalties.  Had a tournament over Thanksgiving, 0 PPs in 2 straight games, Ditto Saturday, 0 PPs even though a kid got speared badly enough he had to leave the game. DVHL = Goon League.

Edited by Let's Go B-Lo