Reinhart or Skinner

sweetlou

Looking long term outlook for the Sabres and with the following contract situations for both guys what would you prefer the Sabres do?

Reinhart for 6 years at $6 million AAV, or

Skinner at 7 years and $7 million AAV?

I think both could potentially be signed long term with more money being available after this year  after the Sabres shed the contracts of Pommer, Moulson, Beaulieu, Girrgensons, and Larsson which frees up $15,150,000.

After 2020 year they will shed Sobatka, Bogo, and Hunwick which frees up another $10,892,857.

This is why I have said all along to sign Reinhart to a two year $4.5 million.  I believe his numbers will be relatively the same, 25 goals, 20-30 assists and 50-55 pts.  After the two years you lock him up long term for $6-6.5 and save money for Mitts and Dahlin.

Signing Reinhart to a 6 year deal is a terrible idea. Why would you only buy 2 years of his UFA? You either give him a 3yr or less deal or 8 years. 

I wouldn't give a player who just turned 26 and won't start that contract until he's 27 a 7 year deal. That makes him what? 34 when that ends? Skinner gets a 5 year deal max. 

I would do neither of those deals do to the way they are constructed.

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 3

We've seen neither with this year's roster - this year being, IMHO, the first "real" season with the "real" core.  

The longer this contract situation with Samson goes on, the less inclined I am to want to keep him as it's clear he's not a team-first guy.  

If Botts is trying to get a 2 year contract out of it, I don't blame him.

I wouldn't sign Skinner to a 2 year deal, let alone a 6 or 7, without seeing how he fits in with the club.  That would be the kind of signing the Sabres have made in the recent past and all of those contracts suck.

9 minutes ago, sabills said:

Can the Sabres still offer sheet Nylander? Because they absolutely should do that. Who cares about pissing off Toronto, they're never going to trade with you anyways. We have a bunch of extra picks over the next few years, so who cares if we lose a few.

Offer sheeting is a rabbit hole that i wouldn't want to go down.  We'd have to offer Nylander a sheet that would make Toronto say no, but then you are handing them a bunch of draft capital AND likely overpaying the player vs. production.  

If the Sabres offered him anything in the $6,088,981 to $8,118,641 the compensation is a 1st 2nd 3rd, but, Toronto would absolutely match anything in that range.

$8,118,642 to $10,148,302 range and the comp is Two firsts, a second and third-round picks, that's pretty steep, we'd be handing our mortal enemy some really good draft capital there and overpaying the RFA.  just my opinion, but anything over $8M is overpaying for Nylander

33 minutes ago, sabills said:

Can the Sabres still offer sheet Nylander? Because they absolutely should do that. Who cares about pissing off Toronto, they're never going to trade with you anyways. We have a bunch of extra picks over the next few years, so who cares if we lose a few.

Not and stay under the cap if he signs it.  

30 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

Offer sheeting is a rabbit hole that i wouldn't want to go down.  We'd have to offer Nylander a sheet that would make Toronto say no, but then you are handing them a bunch of draft capital AND likely overpaying the player vs. production.  

If the Sabres offered him anything in the $6,088,981 to $8,118,641 the compensation is a 1st 2nd 3rd, but, Toronto would absolutely match anything in that range.

$8,118,642 to $10,148,302 range and the comp is Two firsts, a second and third-round picks, that's pretty steep, we'd be handing our mortal enemy some really good draft capital there and overpaying the RFA.  just my opinion, but anything over $8M is overpaying for Nylander

There was just a thing in the Around the NHL thread about the Leafs not meeting with him at 8m, I'd say offer him max in that range and see what happens.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/macarthur-nylander-is-not-going-to-get-8-million-in-a-cap-situation-1.1171774

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/macarthur-nylander-isn-t-going-to-get-8-million-in-cap-situation-1.1171910

second one seems to work

Edited by sabills

3 minutes ago, sabills said:

There was just a thing in the Around the NHL thread about the Leafs not meeting with him at 8m, I'd say offer him max in that range and see what happens.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/macarthur-nylander-is-not-going-to-get-8-million-in-a-cap-situation-1.1171774

I can't seem to listen to it for whatever reason

my fear of offering Nylander $8M is that he didn't improve from 2nd year to 3rd year, 61 points both seasons (nothing to scoff at, but, is that maybe his ceiling? low to mid 60's) $8M/yr seems a tad too high for that.  

2 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

my fear of offering Nylander $8M is that he didn't improve from 2nd year to 3rd year, 61 points both seasons (nothing to scoff at, but, is that maybe his ceiling? low to mid 60's) $8M/yr seems a tad too high for that.  

Yeah, whether he's worth that is a fair question. I really just like the idea of screwing over the leafs.

22 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Again, the Sabres don't have $8 million in cap space to make such an offer.  

But they do have Reinheart, and if Jbot can pursuade William to sign for less than 8, playing with his brother then who knows. Obviously this is only wishful thoughts of my own but it still would make sence.

On 9/18/2018 at 5:28 PM, MODO Hockey said:

But they do have Reinheart, and if Jbot can pursuade William to sign for less than 8, playing with his brother then who knows. Obviously this is only wishful thoughts of my own but it still would make sence.

We don't even have 6 mill in cap space for Nylander, unless he takes a 5 mill bridge its not happening.   Just glad TO will be in a big cap mess soon.

Austin Matthews isn't going to take the "home" discount like some of the fans are hoping he will.   He'll ask for 13 mill for sure.

Edited by Huckleberry

On 9/18/2018 at 10:03 AM, Marions Piazza said:

So offer him 8,000,000 and force Toronto's hand... can they handle 8 mil and stay under the cap?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.