The New York Times Op-Ed

Eleven

It would be tough to be American and be unaware of what was published in the NYT today, but, briefly:

A senior Trump administration official wrote an op-ed in which he/she disclosed that he/she, and many other senior administration officials, were protecting the country from Trumpism by refusing to carry out his orders or sabotaging his programs.  The author stated that many administration officials had considered trying to invoke the 25th amendment (removal of president because of inability to serve) but decided to work behind the scenes instead.

While I obviously am happy that people are working to sabotage Trumpism, I am as angry as can be about how this is being done.  Because this also sabotages our republic.  We have a system whereby people elect electors who in turn elect the president.  Subverting the vote of the populace is disgusting.

On top of that, I think it's a shallow attempt for mainline Republicans to distance themselves from Trump's behavior while simultaneously reaping the benefits of the party holding the White House.

It's party-over-country again, just in a different form.

They’re (Republicans) getting everything they want with Trump. Tax cuts, reactionary judges, I’m sure we’ll be moving on to hitting government / social programs again here shortly.  Pretending to be taking action to “save us” from the other stuff is merely bet-hedging.  When the camel’s back inevitably breaks, be it impeachment or the 25th amendment (highly unlikely, either of them), resignation or being turned out in 2020, they can turn around and claim to have been doing something. 

Self-serving nonsense.  

On 9/6/2018 at 11:28 AM, Eleven said:

While I obviously am happy that people are working to sabotage Trumpism, I am as angry as can be about how this is being done.  Because this also sabotages our republic.  We have a system whereby people elect electors who in turn elect the president.  Subverting the vote of the populace is disgusting.

On top of that, I think it's a shallow attempt for mainline Republicans to distance themselves from Trump's behavior while simultaneously reaping the benefits of the party holding the White House.

It's party-over-country again, just in a different form.

Hear, hear.

As much as I have at times despaired over what Trump says or does, the op-ed writer's claimed virtue infuriated me. It really made me angry. If what s/he says is true, it's a fookin' soft coup is what it is. It is as damaging a thing as has been done to the Constitution in my lifetime, I think. And that's scary business.

Now, mind you. I understand that such a soft coup would be a product of how uniquely odious and imbalanced the POTUS is. But, goddammit, there are procedures to address those issues. And I'm not just talking the 25th Amendment -- I'm also talking more bureaucratically about a process of getting the POTUS to tone down a certain charted course of action.

8 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Hear, hear.

As much as I have at times despaired over what Trump says or does, the op-ed writer's claimed virtue infuriated me. It really made me angry. If what s/he says is true, it's a fookin' soft coup is what it is. It is as damaging a thing as has been done to the Constitution in my lifetime, I think. And that's scary business.

Now, mind you. I understand that such a soft coup would be a product of how uniquely odious and imbalanced the POTUS is. But, goddammit, there are procedures to address those issues. And I'm not just talking the 25th Amendment -- I'm also talking more bureaucratically about a process of getting the POTUS to tone down a certain charted course of action.

Republicans are quite happy to maintain status quo.  While everyone watches Trump toss toys out of his stroller every day, they get to do whatever they want.  This is indeed the darkest hour America has faced, and enough of us are happy about it to prevent anything ever being done.  We're doomed.

On 9/7/2018 at 11:02 PM, Sabel79 said:

Republicans are quite happy to maintain status quo.  While everyone watches Trump toss toys out of his stroller every day, they get to do whatever they want.  This is indeed the darkest hour America has faced, and enough of us are happy about it to prevent anything ever being done.  We're doomed.

No. In fact, perhaps, Trump in all his extreme incompetence and ignorance, represents the fact that the bureaucratic state is in fine form and can run on its own in peaceful times. Let's see--or hopefully not!--what happens when a recession hits, a foreign policy crisis emerges or some other disaster. Trump sure picked the right time to be president, so far. 

WE have been through many worst times, much worse. And hopefully we can look back on all this is a few years and laugh.