Seeking Solutions to Seeing Sabres Games

Andrew Amerk

Prior to the start of the Sabres season last year, I ditched DirecTV. I had realized that I never watched anything on it, other than Sabres games and NHL Network. I bought a Roku and ordered Netflix, and was content enough with that. Stupid me also purchased the NHL package on the Roku, not realizing Sabres games would be blacked out because I am in Rochester. First game of the season rolls around, and I was suddenly scrambling!

I then got an unlocked Firestick. Finding the games was more miss than hit. I’m not the most tech-savvy person, so I’m not sure if this was human error, or just how it is via that medium. For most of the season, I was relegated to staring at streams on my cell phone (I don’t own a tablet, laptop, or desktop computer).

So, I am wondering if anyone can give me some ideas or other options for seeing Sabres games on my television? I’m happy to pay for the content, just not all that interested in paying DirecTV prices when I barely use their services outside of hockey games. If that’s what it comes down to, I’ll do what I have to. 

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I live in the Atl, so no blackout issue, but I’ve used both NHL Center Ice through Comcast and bought the Sabres only internet package through NHL.com

Wait, they have team specific packages online?  I may have to look into this since I don't really have the time to watch anything on center ice beyond our games.

There is the truth and then there are the workarounds.

The truth is, you need to pay for a television service if you live in the Buffalo Sabres market and want to watch games live.  There are no legal workarounds to this.

An unlocked FireStick is illegal, not that you "unlocked" it.  But because you are using an application that acts a search engine for people illegally streaming the content.  As you indicated, hit or miss.  Usually because those people are getting shutdown by their ISP for illegally streaming content.  ?

The VPN solution is also against the terms of service.  Since most VPN services are well known (at least reputable ones) their output points on the Internet are also well known. It is possible (not saying probable) that NHL.tv could choose to block access from those IPs.  This has happened with other streaming services and people attempting to bypass geographical restrictions.

Sharing of logins, also against terms of service.  I am amazed that MSG doesn't block access to their streaming when the same account is logged in twice from different IP addresses.  You run that risk.

Even with NHL.tv and VPN you will lose out on nationally broadcast games.  The good news is that if you have the basic package from Spectrum you can still get NBCSN (or at least you could last year) because they don't filter it out of their base package (even though it's not included).  This is why I opted to add the lowest level of service to my Internet account with them.. it included MSG and NBCSN and cost me 8 more a month.  You might be able to swing the same deal.

Now I can use MSG>Go as well and watch the games on cable when I am home.

Edited by LTS
edited to indicate live watching

32 minutes ago, shrader said:

Wait, they have team specific packages online?  I may have to look into this since I don't really have the time to watch anything on center ice beyond our games.

22 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I didn't know this either but it was pointed out on hf last night as well, which is a nice way to save a few bucks.

The Sabres only on NHL TV is $110 for the seasonand works pretty well.  You can always watch the Sabres feed.  My biggest problem with center ice was the I often had to watch the opponents feed which stinks.  Biggest issue with NHL TV is sometimes finding out the score before getting a chance to watch.

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Sabres only on NHL TV is $110 for the seasonand works pretty well.  You can always watch the Sabres feed.  My biggest problem with center ice was the I often had to watch the opponents feed which stinks.  Biggest issue with NHL TV is sometimes finding out the score before getting a chance to watch.

I may have to give this one a shot this year.  It's cheaper than the full center ice package.  I have a playstation setup on two different tvs, so I can still watch this even if the wife has claimed one of the tvs.

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

I may have to give this one a shot this year.  It's cheaper than the full center ice package.  I have a playstation setup on two different tvs, so I can still watch this even if the wife has claimed one of the tvs.

This was going to be my question for the forum. Has anyone here used NHL.tv on a PS4? I just bought a PS4 for the first time and was wondering how good the streams were. I'd like to be able to post on my laptop and do homework and stuff while watching, which I can only do if I can use the PS4 to stream the hockey games, but I've read things in years past that indicated it was quite laggy and stuff to stream it that way.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I get the whole thing. For only $30 more, it's worth it to me to Get every game, for days without Sabres or to switch to a good hockey game after Sabres take a dump on the ice.

Another option is a Slingbox. My buddy pays for an extra cable box at his moms house in WNY. After the purchase of the box, He gets every Sabres and Bills game for $10 a month.

I've been considering DirecTV Now which is their streaming version of DirecTV.  Not as many channels but much cheaper.  According to their site they offer MSG as part of their package.  They also have a cloud-based DVR if that's of interest.

The last time I checked they didn't have local channels (I live in the Roc area too) but perhaps this would be an option and perhaps you could get rid of one of your other services.  They're service can be picked up via Roku as far as I know.

11 minutes ago, ROC_EMT said:

I've been considering DirecTV Now which is their streaming version of DirecTV.  Not as many channels but much cheaper.  According to their site they offer MSG as part of their package.  They also have a cloud-based DVR if that's of interest.

The last time I checked they didn't have local channels (I live in the Roc area too) but perhaps this would be an option and perhaps you could get rid of one of your other services.  They're service can be picked up via Roku as far as I know.

If this is something I can get on my Roku, this might be exactly what I’m looking for!

22 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Frontier. Hoping for something better to come along. 

You must be lucky... DSL is so temperamental as a technology.

My Spectrum connection is pretty solid, and it's also why it makes sense for me to have the cable package.  But clearly as you are Frontier, streaming is good.. as long as Frontier holds up for you.

11 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Prior to the start of the Sabres season last year, I ditched DirecTV. I had realized that I never watched anything on it, other than Sabres games and NHL Network. I bought a Roku and ordered Netflix, and was content enough with that. Stupid me also purchased the NHL package on the Roku, not realizing Sabres games would be blacked out because I am in Rochester. First game of the season rolls around, and I was suddenly scrambling!

I then got an unlocked Firestick. Finding the games was more miss than hit. I’m not the most tech-savvy person, so I’m not sure if this was human error, or just how it is via that medium. For most of the season, I was relegated to staring at streams on my cell phone (I don’t own a tablet, laptop, or desktop computer).

So, I am wondering if anyone can give me some ideas or other options for seeing Sabres games on my television? I’m happy to pay for the content, just not all that interested in paying DirecTV prices when I barely use their services outside of hockey games. If that’s what it comes down to, I’ll do what I have to. 

Thanks! 

I'm the farthest thing from a techie and this might sound stupid but, if you were "relegated" to watching it on your phone.....couldn't you use some type of mirror app to project it to your TV? I don't know if you have that capability or if it's possible.....I hate technology. lol

12 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I'm the farthest thing from a techie and this might sound stupid but, if you were "relegated" to watching it on your phone.....couldn't you use some type of mirror app to project it to your TV? I don't know if you have that capability or if it's possible.....I hate technology. lol

You could.  You could get a chromecast.  There are other technologies as well.

12 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I kept hearing that there was a way to do this, but I was never able to figure it out. 

On 9/6/2018 at 1:30 PM, ROC_EMT said:

They added MSG last year a month or so into the hockey season. I couldn't get the Buffalo version of it through their app, but I could login to MSGGO and watch Sabres games that way. That may have changed now as I don't watch MSG except during hockey season. They added the Rochester local channels last week. It runs on some of the Roku devices, but their latest version no longer works on my Roku 3.  Their app works well on a firestick or fireTV.  I've used the DVR some and haven't had any issues with it. The app has gotten much better since they rolled out version 2 of it and the periodic updates also seem to improve it now. 

On 9/6/2018 at 12:41 PM, twosoakers said:

I signed up for Fubo streaming service. They offer MSG network. Hoping this works out. $40/mon w tons of sports channels. stream on a FireStick

This is what i use. I've never had any issues with it and i love it. It's on the cheap side and i get every channel i want except NHL Network.

On 9/6/2018 at 1:30 PM, ROC_EMT said:

I don't use this but i've heard that DTV Now only gives you MSG but not the regional MSG, so you'll get the MSG with all NYC content on it. It's what i heard from a friend who did this. Apparently most of the online streaming services who offer MSG only offer the NYC version and not the regional, except for Fubo tv.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.