Position Battle: Center

GASabresIUFAN

On 9/6/2018 at 9:49 AM, Amerks8796 said:

9 game tryouts aren’t relevant to Olofsson, Pilut or Asplund. Those are for players who aren’t AHL eligible and get 9 games in the NHL to see if they’re ready or if they go back to juniors. 

Berglund also has nothing to do with this discussion. That was a different management group with likely different philosophies. You’re focusing way too much on the “generational prospect” comment. It simply meant that Dahlin is starting in the NHL no matter how good or bad he looks in camp. That’s simply not the case with Asplund. He gets that advantage because of the prospect he is, Asplund does not. So the comparison of the two of them means nothing. 

In the end, it doesn’t really matter what you or I think about the transition to NA that you’re so obsessed over. The assistant GM of the team has mentioned it. It’s not made up. And it’s a fact that they think it’s part of the development plan for Olofsson, Asplund and Pilut. It’s not for Dahlin as he’s never been mentioned in those comments. If you want to overthink things, be my guest. I’ll stick with the facts of what management has said. 

Your first paragraph is incorrect. Although the 9 game tryout actually isn't relevant to any of the players named, that's not exactly what's its used for. Any 18-19 year old player on an ELC is a slide risk. That means if they play less then 10 games the contract doesn't kick in until the following season. (If 18 could slide again) whether they play in the CHL or AHL is irrelevant.

Edited by LikeEich

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I agree with every point Amerks8796 makes, but if mini-Rasmus plays like that against NHLers it sends the wrong message to the team to send him down, unless our 4th liners really pull up their socks.

Hopefully we are still talking about this in three weeks.

I pretty much agree here except.....and don't take me wrong.....I don't agree with the "he has to adjust" in Roch but Dahlin can adjust up here. Doesn't matter what level they're on and Rasmus3 has at least been here before a few times.

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I pretty much agree here except.....and don't take me wrong.....I don't agree with the "he has to adjust" in Roch but Dahlin can adjust up here. Doesn't matter what level they're on and Rasmus3 has at least been here before a few times.

I think the thing that has been somewhat overlooked about Asplund is that he has four years of pro hockey against men under his belt.

He is not as wide-eyed as a lot of kids his age.

Just now, dudacek said:

I think the thing that has been somewhat overlooked about Asplund is that he has four years of pro hockey against men under his belt.

He is not as wide-eyed as a lot of kids his age.

Exactly, and he was used in every situation.

The other thing overlooked is that players like Karlsson, Hedman, et al is that they seemed to take a couple years to develop to their current level. Just because Dahlin is labeled "generational talent" people want to see him play now and seem to exempt him automatically from any need to adjust. From watching the prospects challenge I don,t see either one needing an "adjustment" period. Hopeful for both to do well no matter what management decides. We also need to see how camp goes. But I just don't agree that one player is an absolute in needing adjustment and the other doesn't theory.

6 hours ago, pi2000 said:

This adjustment stuff is utter garbage.  These are pro hockey players.   The rink is 15ft narrower, that's it.   They'll figure it out in a few skates. 

You may think it’s garbage and it very well might be. But if management thinks there’s a learning curve with it, and they have said that, that very well may impact their roster decisions. 

1 hour ago, Amerks8796 said:

You may think it’s garbage and it very well might be. But if management thinks there’s a learning curve with it, and they have said that, that very well may impact their roster decisions. 

In some cases I think it's more of an excuse, otherwise ALL Euro players would/should have to go through the same thing.

Reasons could be such as .....well he's better than Larsson but we hope he replaces Berglund down the road. So, we'll keep him in Roch to see if Berglund pans out or is in a decline and go from there.

Or, we don't have a trade partner for Larsson and want to test the Market before putting him on waivers.

Or, we have time before we're in any real cap problem so we let him marinate in Roch until we have problem and then buyout Berglund/Sobotka etc to make room for him.

I'm sure there are other excuses they could come up with. That's what I think is "garbage".  

52 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

In some cases I think it's more of an excuse, otherwise ALL Euro players would/should have to go through the same thing.

Reasons could be such as .....well he's better than Larsson but we hope he replaces Berglund down the road. So, we'll keep him in Roch to see if Berglund pans out or is in a decline and go from there.

Or, we don't have a trade partner for Larsson and want to test the Market before putting him on waivers.

Or, we have time before we're in any real cap problem so we let him marinate in Roch until we have problem and then buyout Berglund/Sobotka etc to make room for him.

I'm sure there are other excuses they could come up with. That's what I think is "garbage".  

Maybe you’re missing my point. It doesn’t really matter what you think or I think regarding the NA transition. I’m not here to debate the validity of it from your point of view because it doesn’t matter. Maybe that could be the topic of another thread. I’m discussing the reality of what Sexton or Botterill think, whether you agree with them or not. 

9 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Maybe you’re missing my point. It doesn’t really matter what you think or I think regarding the NA transition. I’m not here to debate the validity of it from your point of view because it doesn’t matter. Maybe that could be the topic of another thread. I’m discussing the reality of what Sexton or Botterill think, whether you agree with them or not. 

I've already agreed with you on those positions ....what we don't seem to agree on is that that could "possibly" change no matter what they said. Many circumstances could change their minds....if Larsson has a bad camp, if Asplund shows to be the better option and doesn't need  transition time,injuries, etc. There are exceptions to every rule (or philosophy).

I could see it if Asplund had any one major/minor flaw to be worked on but every thing I've seen or read says he doesn't except from management. And yes, I know that's what could end up ultimately being their decision. I would like to add that hopefully it wouldn't deter him if he went to Roch but you never know how these kids will react. This kid seems to have the skills and determination/confidence to make it on the roster and to send him down could ruin that, just saying it's possible. Think too that he just led our prospects in points for the challenge.

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Considering Asplund wanted to come to NA last year and they told him to stay in Sweden and it didn't "ruin him" I wouldn't be worried about him going to Rochester to start the season. 

I'm sure you're right but he said he wants to be here in Bflo  not Roch....don't remember his exact words. I know that's what he's supposed to say but if there was no chance he makes Bflo roster and was told that then why say it? He sounded determined and has made a good push with D-camp and now this. If he turns some heads at Big Boy camp I can see the possibility.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.