The College Football Thread

GASabresIUFAN

College football gets underway in earnest this weekend.  Odds favor at least a rematch of thr National Championship Game in the SEC Championship.  Auburn looks good.  So do Clemson and the Huskies out West. The Big10 is crazy though with Mich, MSU, Penn St, and OSU all being good in one division, plus Wis in the Big 10 West.  

By prediction is Wis vs. GA in the National Championship Game.  Do Dawgs!

As a WNY native and Bonaventure graduate I have no dog in any college football argument.  Just sticking my head in to ask if everyone can stomp all over Virginia Tech so that I may drink all the salty tears of literally everyone around me (with the exception of the UVA fans, who are to be pitied, really...).

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Now now, everyone is entitled to an opinion no matter how funny.

Desmond Howard thinks South Carolina will win the East and Michigan will make the CFP.  Like I said, everyone is entitled to an opinion regardless of how funny.

I mean... SC would have to beat Georgia at home so it could happen. Seems unlikely.  They won't make the CFP. I can't see them beating Clemson in Clemson and then winning the SEC against Bama or dare I say Auburn. 

Georgia has to beat LSU in LSU. SC in SC. and Auburn at home to make the SEC Championship. It is a potentially rough schedule for them in the SEC. 

Key games.

Sept 1 - Washington vs Auburn - Wash better win if it wants to get a CFP berth.

Sept 1 - Mich vs ND - Must win for ND if they are to glimpse a CFP berth

Sept 15 - Ohio St vs TCU - Frogs need to prove that someone else in the Big 12 is any good besides Oklahoma.

Sept 29 - Ohio St vs Penn St.  Let the carnage begin. Loser could be out of the running already

Oct 13 - Georgia at LSU - Could be Georgia’s toughest game besides Auburn at home

Oct 13 - Wis vs Mich - more Big 10 carnage

Oct 20 - Okla vs TCU - Winner likely wins the Big 12

Oct 20 - Mich vs MSU - MSU can prove they are a contender

Oct 27 - Clemson vs FSU - must win for both teams (Clemson’s only pre-season ranked opponent)

Nov 3 - Bama at LSU - Should be a good comparison between GA and Bama

Nov 3 - Penn st at Mich - Win here will help Des Howards prediction

Nov 3 - Wash vs Stan - only other top 15 opponent.

Nov 10 - Auburn at GA - Does GA defend home turf like Aub did last year?

Nov 10 - Wis at Penn St - Wis will need this win to make a CFP berth argument.

Nov 10 - Ohio St vs MSU - more Big 10 East carnage

Nov 23 - Okla vs WV - WV & TCU only top 20 opponents for Okla.

Nov 24 - Aub at Bama - Iron Bowl likely inside track to Go the SEC championship.

Nov 24 - Ohio St vs Mich - Tradition but one or both teams could be out of running by now.

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I mean... SC would have to beat Georgia at home so it could happen. Seems unlikely.  They won't make the CFP. I can't see them beating Clemson in Clemson and then winning the SEC against Bama or dare I say Auburn. 

Georgia has to beat LSU in LSU. SC in SC. and Auburn at home to make the SEC Championship. It is a potentially rough schedule for them in the SEC. 

Muschamp and Smart are buddies from their time as GA players.  Smart isn’t losing to Muschamp even at SC.  GA had a workman like victory against SC last season with running (51 rushes) and a controlled passing game (22 attempts).  Demetrios Robinson is now a starting WR for the Bulldogs.  Look for more balanced offense and more big plays.  GA 35 SC 10.

I’m much more worried about the game in Baton Rouge.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I do keep hearing good things about a certain Freshman RB Georiga has. Sounds like something good is cooking

Were you going for the pun? The Swift/Cook backfield could be nearly as dangerous as Chubb/Michel.  

Everyone please read the below column.  

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/eargles-of-austin-peay-plan-to-say-thanks-to-dawg-nation-on-saturday-at-sanford-stadium

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 3:08 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Muschamp and Smart are buddies from their time as GA players.  Smart isn’t losing to Muschamp even at SC.  GA had a workman like victory against SC last season with running (51 rushes) and a controlled passing game (22 attempts).  Demetrios Robinson is now a starting WR for the Bulldogs.  Look for more balanced offense and more big plays.  GA 35 SC 10.

I’m much more worried about the game in Baton Rouge.

Geaux Tigers! :)

On August 28, 2018 at 1:31 PM, Sabel79 said:

As a WNY native and Bonaventure graduate I have no dog in any college football argument.  Just sticking my head in to ask if everyone can stomp all over Virginia Tech so that I may drink all the salty tears of literally everyone around me (with the exception of the UVA fans, who are to be pitied, really...).

Go bonnies!!!

------------------------------------------------------------

Also Boomer Sooner!!!

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.