The College Football Thread

GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You must be a blast at birthday parties, reminding everyone that they're one year closer to death.

Speaking of fans not showing up for UB games, the grandstands are sold out for the Army game and only end zone GA remain. Luckily it's on CBS Sports Network Saturday.

Glad that they will finally have a good crowd.   Would expect a large portion, if not a majority will be Army fans.

3 hours ago, ubkev said:

So how many people is that? 20k? It's a tiny stadium. 

30K actually.  Didn't you go to UB? 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Army will be a big test for UB. Outside of a lopsided loss to Duke, Army has been in or won the other 3 games including a close loss at Oklahoma. 

Should be a great game.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Glad that they will finally have a good crowd.   Would expect a large portion, if not a majority will be Army fans.

And you'd be wrong. Army plays Buffalo fairly regularly. They never have more than a few hundred fans in Buffalo, though UB fans often salute Army in gratitude for their service, as they should.

Latest report says only 400 end zone GA seats remain for the game. So looks like a sellout. Could even be the largest UB home crowd ever.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

30K actually.  Didn't you go to UB? 

Sure did. And the years I was there their average attendance was smaller than that of a SUNY Morrisville game. I wasn't kidding when I said they won 3 games the whole time I was there. No one went, ever! My roommates were on the team and I still didn't go. Hell, they didn't want to go!

2 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Sure did. And the years I was there their average attendance was smaller than that of a SUNY Morrisville game. I wasn't kidding when I said they won 3 games the whole time I was there. No one went, ever! My roommates were on the team and I still didn't go. Hell, they didn't want to go!

Well a lot has changed since. They are getting votes in the AP Top 25. This team is legit with at least two 1st round picks and several other NFL prospects. Watch them on TV Saturday at 12 noon (CBSSN) and see if you notice the difference.

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And you'd be wrong. Army plays Buffalo fairly regularly. They never have more than a few hundred fans in Buffalo, though UB fans often salute Army in gratitude for their service, as they should.

Latest report says only 400 end zone GA seats remain for the game. So looks like a sellout. Could even be the largest UB home crowd ever.

Good.  Hope I am.

Are they doing any special promotions to goose attendence or is there an excitement building due to their start; or's it a combination thereof?

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Good.  Hope I am.

Are they doing any special promotions to goose attendence or is there an excitement building due to their start; or's it a combination thereof?

Viewed from distance, I’d say the great start coupled with good press about the “monster” QB is generating interest.  

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Which is small for a college football stadium. 

So what is your point, exactly? That they aren't to be taken seriously unless the play in a 100K+ stadium?

37 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Good.  Hope I am.

They have been throwing fun tailgate parties with live music from national artists. They've been doing this for a few years now. But winning and having a high-scoring exciting team is the best advertising.

Again, I take them seriously for the level they are. They win their bowl and win the MAC that is a fantastic season. They should be super proud. As I said earlier it depends on if you watch college football for that. Win the conference and the bowl game and woot. Or even just win the bowl game. 

Also you responded to a post about the Stadium size being 30k not 20k. Since the OP was talking about the stadium being small, I was merely pointing out that the stadium at 30k is still small. It was just the progression of the convo.

Where in the AP top 25 do you feel they should be ranked? 

Edited by LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Again, I take them seriously for the level they are. They win their bowl and win the MAC that is a fantastic season. They should be super proud. As I said earlier it depends on if you watch college football for that. Win the conference and the bowl game and woot. Or even just win the bowl game. 

Also you responded to a post about the Stadium size being 30k not 20k. Since the OP was talking about the stadium being small, I was merely pointing out that the stadium at 30k is still small. It was just the progression of the convo.

Where in the AP top 25 do you feel they should be ranked? 

Based on the votes they have received, they would land at #43, which is about right for now. A win over Army, who took Oklahoma to OT, should vault them to the 30's. Keep in mind they are one of the highest-scoring offenses in FBS right now. I'm thinking if they get to 7-0 they will crack the Top 25.

52 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They have been throwing fun tailgate parties with live music from national artists. They've been doing this for a few years now. But winning and having a high-scoring exciting team is the best advertising.

NIGHT RANGER!!!!  And will the ZOOperstars be making their usual appearance this year?

Edited by Eleven

9 minutes ago, GoPre said:

Interesting - Syracuse beating #3 Clemson 23-13 in the 4th w/ 8:53 to play.  

Would've still had the ball, but on 4th & 1 the LT went too far downfield before they completed what would've been a 1st down pass.

Clemson's running game has started gashing them, unfortunately.  But Sweeney seems to insist on putting it in his young QB's hands.  Maybe they can hold on.

And the wheels are falling off UB's miracle season.  Down 42-13.  It was 21-13 early in the 3rd after Buffalo took their 1st possession of the 1/2 to the endzone.

Edited by Taro T

I went to my second ever college football game over the weekend to see UB vs. Army... it was fun. I was excited to see those NFL prospects on UB so it was too bad Johnson didn't play, but if UB had prospects such as Hodge, Jackson, Osborn, ect i would go much more. The only other game i've been to is in Columbia, SC and watched the South Carolina Gamecocks. Now that was amazing. Was when Sidney Rice was there.

On 10/6/2018 at 6:31 PM, LGR4GM said:

This LSU v Florida game is interesting

Yep.  

So.... 

Fla beats LSU

Texas A&M beats UK (Yeah)

Texas beats Oklahoma

Miss St pounds Auburn

Stanford losses again

and 

Georgia finally plays a decent game and rolls up 550 yards of offense.

Let the Chaos continue as long as the Dawgs continue to cruise.  ?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

14 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yep.  

So.... 

Fla beats LSU

Texas A&M beats UK (Yeah)

Texas beats Oklahoma

Miss St pounds Auburn

Stanford losses again

and 

Georgia finally plays a decent game and rolls up 550 yards of offense.

Let the Chaos continue as long as the Dawgs continue to cruise.  ?

Kriby was not happy with his teams effort though. He wants that defense to clean things up. Roquan leaving left a big gap in the middle of that defense that is yet to be filled. 

48 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Kriby was not happy with his teams effort though. He wants that defense to clean things up. Roquan leaving left a big gap in the middle of that defense that is yet to be filled. 

Monty Rice is getting better, but they need to get better at stopping the run, especially up the middle.  

I also think they have played pretty vanilla all season on both sides of the ball.  

23 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Monty Rice is getting better, but they need to get better at stopping the run, especially up the middle.  

I also think they have played pretty vanilla all season on both sides of the ball.  

The offense, I am fairly certain has barely tried for most first quarters, then they turn it on for the middle 2 quarters then shut it down again. LSU will be a solid defense, they will actually have to try. The question is, is it really a switch they can flip or will they get behind early and struggle? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.