The manipulation of public opinion...

LTS

This is borderline politics, but I have a feeling it will get political so I am putting this in here.

Bear with me, this is not conspiracy theories run amok but rather an attempt to accept the possibilities that certain events are orchestrated to manipulate public opinion and to identify resources that may help debunk such theories due to their exhaustive coverage and investigation.

I thought about this last year when the shooting in Las Vegas occurred.  I am reminded more about it today after reading about Mollie Tibbets.

In short, the people behind these events seem to have mental issues, seem to have a questionable background, etc.  Certainly this makes them potentially more prone to commit violent acts, but at the same time doesn't also leave them more prone to being manipulated into committing them?

Let's hypothesize about the Mollie Tibbets situation.  The kidnap and killing of a person, who by all accounts, was a good social icon.  A person who would pull at the heartstrings of America and increase the debate against undocumented immigrants.  The material certainly writes itself and as the news came out yesterday politicians were shouting it far and wide.

Now granted, there are some interesting aspects of the case.  Such as he apparently passed the governments E-Verify database that employers (in this case a farmer related to a prominent Republican) use to determine eligibility.

Over the coming days more and more information will come out. Some of it will be potentially fake news. Some of it might be outlandish and be considered fake news, but it could be real news. Some of it will be the basic facts and coverage of events. However, almost universally, all of it will be gone from the public view within a few weeks.

This is where I am asking... are there news outlets or investigative resources that continue to collect and review information regarding high profile events such as this?  I'd like to know more about the Las Vegas shooter and other related information that was thrown around and further investigated.  The problem is, news media isn't covering it anymore.  I suspect the same will hold true for Mollie Tibbets.

It's not about trying to prove a conspiracy theory so much as trying to understand the possibility that such manipulation could be occurring through these events.

Bottom line, it doesn't take too much mental stretching for me to see how this undocumented immigrant could have been approached by a special interest group and trained to commit an act when needed. People in high security positions are compromised all the time, it can't be harder to compromise a regular citizen or even an undocumented immigrant.  What if, in the next few years, members of his family are given citizenship as part of the deal?  Money paid to families in his home country.  There are a lot of options that could be used to encourage a person to commit a crime in the interest of swaying public opinion.

I started attempting to do research on the Las Vegas shooter, but the trails end quickly.  It's all articles from around that time and then nothing else. The puff pieces, suggestions, innuendo, facts.. and then archived and put away. 

Anyone aware of any resources that might be good to connect into to continue understanding what is learned as people inevitably dig through the information and trails that are left behind?

THANKS!

I find the following online sources to be reliable, but Tibbets simply isn't long-term national news* no matter how much Trump wants it to be:

New York Times (left)

BBC (required by its charter to be center)

Wall Street Journal (right)

*A single murder of a normal citizen just isn't a national issue anymore (if it ever was), no matter how sad that may be.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I find the following online sources to be reliable, but Tibbets simply isn't long-term national news* no matter how much Trump wants it to be:

New York Times (left)

BBC (required by its charter to be center)

Wall Street Journal (right)

*A single murder of a normal citizen just isn't a national issue anymore (if it ever was), no matter how sad that may be.

Yeah.  It's not always so much about the news outlets while a story is in the news.  It's about any source that follows up on a story so that you could get a start to finish on what happened.  I know it's a long shot since most people don't care enough to want to know what happens.

This is why it's bad to be accused of a crime and arrested even if you aren't guilty of it (and especially if someone else is).  The public labels you immediately and then moves on.  No need for facts or reality. 

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Yeah.  It's not always so much about the news outlets while a story is in the news.  It's about any source that follows up on a story so that you could get a start to finish on what happened.  I know it's a long shot since most people don't care enough to want to know what happens.

This is why it's bad to be accused of a crime and arrested even if you aren't guilty of it (and especially if someone else is).  The public labels you immediately and then moves on.  No need for facts or reality. 

Yep. I remember Richard Jewell's name well, but I couldn't name the guy who actually bombed the Atlanta Olympics.