OT -- High Praise for Buffalo Pizza

nfreeman

1 hour ago, jsb said:

Topic is Buffalo Pizza, so how the heck did we get to Mighty Taco?? and frozen custard isn't a Buffalo thing everybody has it in the civilized world.

We briefly had a chain called Rita's but it wasn't what Anderson's serves.  Then we got invaded by the yogurt stands, most of which stink.  We need a real custard place.

13 hours ago, Eleven said:

You didn't need to use the modifier "Mexican."  It's just not food.  At least not for people.

It's consumed by people, therefore it's for people.

I believe what you meant to say is, "it's not something i would consider eating."

And... we now return you to pizza.

56 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

This thread... I'm headed to Buffalo this weekend, taking my daughter to see grandma before school starts.  With all the talk of local food... I'm going to gain ten pounds.

Get Bocce one night. Go to Chef’s another.  Then get Ted’s for lunch followed by a quick trip to Anderson’s.  If you can sneak in Duff’s or the Anchor Bar (or insert favorite wing place) and a trip to Schwabl’s you can get your 10 lbs and be happy doing it. 

Fyi:  https://buffalonews.com/2018/08/21/the-story-behind-spaghetti-parm-buffalos-favorite-pasta/?utm_medium=more_stories

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We briefly had a chain called Rita's but it wasn't what Anderson's serves.  Then we got invaded by the yogurt stands, most of which stink.  We need a real custard place.

We have a few Rita's (Italian Ice) out here too.    I've had their custard, it's incredibly thick and heavy... it's good, but not what I remember Andersons.    

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Get Bocce one night. Go to Chef’s another.  Then get Ted’s for lunch followed by a quick trip to Anderson’s.  If you can sneak in Duff’s or the Anchor Bar (or insert favorite wing place) and a trip to Schwabl’s you can get your 10 lbs and be happy doing it. 

Fyi:  https://buffalonews.com/2018/08/21/the-story-behind-spaghetti-parm-buffalos-favorite-pasta/?utm_medium=more_stories

I also miss sahlen's hot dogs (Ted's?) and Weber's mustard.     There's a Ted's in Phoenix, they sell Weber's.    We're there a couple times a year for my kids hockey, but they're not fans of those dogs.  

Growing up we used to go to The Dutch Mill on Sunday's for lunch.   IIRC, they made their own ice cream and it was outstanding, would always get the canasta.  

11 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

We have a few Rita's (Italian Ice) out here too.    I've had their custard, it's incredibly thick and heavy... it's good, but not what I remember Andersons.    

I also miss sahlen's hot dogs (Ted's?) and Weber's mustard.     There's a Ted's in Phoenix, they sell Weber's.    We're there a couple times a year for my kids hockey, but they're not fans of those dogs.  

Growing up we used to go to The Dutch Mill on Sunday's for lunch.   IIRC, they made their own ice cream and it was outstanding, would always get the canasta.  

Ted’s serves Sahlens.  I’ve been to Ted’s in Tempe about 100 times, as my folks retired to Scottsdale.  It tastes like home.  You can order Chef’s sauce and Weber’s mustard online.  Our Publix here carries Sahlens hotdogs sometimes.  

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I can't think of a reason to go deal with the Anchor Bar. It is usually crowded. They either blanch their wings or are not great at cooking them. And I find their hot sauce mediocre. 

It’s just Frank’s hot sauce mixed with butter. I always found their wings not very meaty.  I tend to be a Duff’s guy as I grew up near there.  

4 hours ago, LTS said:

It's consumed by people, therefore it's for people.

I believe what you meant to say is, "it's not something i would consider eating."

Image result for emphatic thank you gif

31 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Holy Moses - I love this memory. The Dutch Mill?! Where was it (is it)? 

Could there be anything more old school -- more grandparently -- than a dessert known as the canasta? (Which is a card game my grandmother taught me.)

6 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

They sell their own wing sauce i think

I believe that's right. I don't think they use Frank's anymore.

33 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Why would they, when they can commission some supplier to bottle essentially Frank's & butter and put their name on it?

When I worked in bar in the '70s, we pretty much used Frank's & butter.  We had this mixing bowl that always had some leftover sauce in it.  Medium:  Some Frank's, some butter.  Mild:  Butter only.  Hot:  Frank's, no butter.  Really hot:  Frank's, Tabasco, maybe some red pepper.

• Thanks (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Holy Moses - I love this memory. The Dutch Mill?! Where was it (is it)? 

Could there be anything more old school -- more grandparently -- than a dessert known as the canasta? (Which is a card game my grandmother taught me.)

The Dutch Mill was (is?) in Lancaster.     They also had the best sherbet I've ever had... the orange sherbet, unreal on a hot day.     Triple chocolate ice cream, chocolate ice cream, with chocolate syrup and chocolate chips.    Butterscotch as well with real butterscotch chunks.     Just stuff you can't find these days.

Anyway, they also had a comic book stand by the register, filled with Archie comics.    I'd stand there reading comics while my Dad paid the bill.    If I was lucky he'd buy me and my sister a pack of bazooka.   Sunday ritual... except when it dumped a few feet on the south towns in the winter.     In fact, IIRC, they closed during the winter back then for a few months?      

Friday's during Lent was Scharf's in West Seneca... Never was a big fan of fish fry's as a kid, but best potato pancakes I've ever had.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Why would they, when they can commission some supplier to bottle essentially Frank's & butter and put their name on it?

When I worked in bar in the '70s, we pretty much used Frank's & butter.  We had this mixing bowl that always had some leftover sauce in it.  Medium:  Some Frank's, some butter.  Mild:  Butter only.  Hot:  Frank's, no butter.  Really hot:  Frank's, Tabasco, maybe some red pepper.

Frank's actually sells their sauce mixed with butter.  Bought it accidentally once, foul.  

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I can't think of a reason to go deal with the Anchor Bar. It is usually crowded. They either blanch their wings or are not great at cooking them. And I find their hIt sauce mediocre. 

There is A reason to go to the Anchor Bar.  Your out of town friends in for a visit insist on trying it despite protestations that the Bar-Bill, Duffs, or even Elmos are far superior & many other places like Gabriel's Gate are also superior.

56 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They aren't just doing Frank's with butter. There's something else going in there. 

They essentially are.  Theissueis, they also have other flavors such as barbeque & aren't very good at not mixing the saucing bowls.  2 of my last 3 trips there both resulted in a barbequey-ish hot sauce when they were supposed to simply be hot.

17 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The Dutch Mill was (is?) in Lancaster.     They also had the best sherbet I've ever had... the orange sherbet, unreal on a hot day.     Triple chocolate ice cream, chocolate ice cream, with chocolate syrup and chocolate chips.    Butterscotch as well with real butterscotch chunks.     Just stuff you can't find these days.

Anyway, they also had a comic book stand by the register, filled with Archie comics.    I'd stand there reading comics while my Dad paid the bill.    If I was lucky he'd buy me and my sister a pack of bazooka.   Sunday ritual... except when it dumped a few feet on the south towns in the winter.     In fact, IIRC, they closed during the winter back then for a few months?      

Friday's during Lent was Scharf's in West Seneca... Never was a big fan of fish fry's as a kid, but best potato pancakes I've ever had.

Dutch Mill is still hanging in there. My dad used to take my bro and I there a lot for milkshakes when we were kids. I haven't been in there in years. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.