OT -- High Praise for Buffalo Pizza

nfreeman

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

If you're talking BBQ beef brisket, then that's a deep-in-a-heart-of-Texas thing and out of towners need not apply.

But Texans are open to other types of BBQ from other areas.  Pulled pork has moved in bigly the last few years and there are pulled pork places and traditional Texas BBQ places that serve pulled pork.  There's a Memphis dry rub BBQ place nearby that's been around for years. 

Brisket used to be the staple, along with sausage and smoked turkey, but the recent crop of BBQ joints have raised the bar considerably.  It's like being content with Miller Lite and finding out about craft beer- some of these new BBQ joints are really, really good.

Paging @Randall Flagg.  Now that you've spent a year in Oklahoma, which has the most glorious brisket in the universe, please join me in telling these Lone Staters where to stick their Alamo.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Weave said:

Apparently you live nearby my employer.  Ruck’s makes a mean salad for lunch.

Never had the salad.. they look good, but.. it's paying for salad, which I struggle to do... at least at the price point of the other food.  So, you are either near Lima or HFL.. they have two.  You ever stop in the HFL Distillery to sample their spirits?

13 hours ago, SDS said:

I am getting a little tired of agreeing with you… 

My understanding is that native people from Texas don’t give a about the rest of the country. As for Arizona, that was a popular destination when there was a mass exodus out of western New York. 

You aren't supposed to notice the mind control.  I am going to have to work on my algorithms.

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

This is the part where I commit blasphemy and say that I just love cheese pizza, I dont need pepperoni to complete me, maybe black olives, but otherwise I'm good. 

You are not the person we thought you were... first your school story and now you show up hating on pepperoni?  What happened to you?  Who hurt you?

On 8/16/2018 at 8:33 AM, nfreeman said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/is-americas-pizza-capital-buffalo-new-york

IMHO, Buffalo has excellent pizza, and far superior to Chicago (which is gross), although not as good as NYC. 

Discuss.

Best pizza I ever had was at Giordano's in Chicago so I definitely disagree.  The only pizza that had to be eaten with a knife and fork it was so thick...like a pie.

Not a fan at all of NYC style Ritz Cracker with cheese.

Edited by matter2003

On 8/16/2018 at 10:06 AM, Sakman said:

For me, Bocce's pizza is an almost spiritual experience. 

A couple years ago I was made aware of Imperial Pizza in South Buffalo. I sought it out. It's righteous. Now we figure out how to make stops there in or out of travels from the Southern Tier to Niagara County.  For me, it's now up there with Bocce's in the 'heavenly' echelon of pizza pies. 

I haven't found any pizza quite that good in all my travels in various states and countries.  But I'll keep looking. 

Imperial is very close to my home and it's where I go for pizza, wings and subs.  All are pretty great (the meat on the subs is nearly 2 inches thick - you can hardly take a full bite).

6 hours ago, Sakman said:

Also in Williamsville across the street from North High School.  Same owner, pies are identical tasting. 

My Mom and Dad went to Bocce's on Bailey when they were dating in the early 60's and there were still bocce ball courts next to it. My Dad went there so much the owner had him behind the counter to have a beer on more than one occasion. Now he goes to the Williamsville branch so often the owner knows him. He's the son of the original owner.  When my Dad told him he knew his Dad and mentioned he had been behind the counter to have a beer with him the son's eye's widened and said "I remember the old man used to do that sometimes!" 

Although I love Bocce's, their consistency has suffered a bit in recent years. Occasional over-cooking. 

You gotta try Imperial Pizza on Abbot Road (near Patrick Kane's home as I understand it) sometime if Bocce's is your favorite.  It's different, but just as good in the same ways. 

The place that is now Imperial used to be a Bocce Club location some years back.  Their pizza is not exactly the same as Bocce's, but it is close.  Oh, and Nino's in West Seneca is real good 'za, too!

Edited by Sabre Dance
spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sabre Dance said:

Imperial is very close to my home and it's where I go for pizza, wings and subs.  All are pretty great (the meat on the subs is nearly 2 inches thick - you can hardly take a full bite).

The place that is now Imperial used to be a Bocce Club location some years back.  Their pizza is not exactly the same as Bocce's, but it is close.  Oh, and Nino's in West Seneca is real good 'za, too!

Nino's!!

So good.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Best pizza I ever had was at Giordano's in Chicago so I definitely disagree.  The only pizza that had to be eaten with a knife and fork it was so thick...like a pie.

After having actual Chicago deep dish pizza in Chicago for the first time, I wrote a poem.  It was called "In Chicago, They Eat Their Pizza with a Knife and Fork". I kid you not. I don't remember the rest of the poem, though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 8/16/2018 at 3:33 PM, LTS said:

Haha.  Yes, there's too much cheese, and I love cheese, but I want to enjoy the pizza, not just the cheese.  If all I wanted was cheese I would just eat the cheese straight.

Amen. Pizza needs good construction. Too much cheese has all the topping sliding off and then no one is enjoying anything. Too much sauce is a problem as well. I don't need it dripping down my chin when I bite into a slice. When I worked at Mark's, I marvelled at how many weirdos would get extra cheese or sauce. What on God's green earth are you doing people!?! 

35 minutes ago, inkman said:

Amen. Pizza needs good construction. Too much cheese has all the topping sliding off and then no one is enjoying anything. Too much sauce is a problem as well. I don't need it dripping down my chin when I bite into a slice. When I worked at Mark's, I marvelled at how many weirdos would get extra cheese or sauce. What on God's green earth are you doing people!?! 

Really Ink, I had you pegged as the sloppy type... ? my bad...

Edited by North Buffalo

6 hours ago, LTS said:

Never had the salad.. they look good, but.. it's paying for salad, which I struggle to do... at least at the price point of the other food.  So, you are either near Lima or HFL.. they have two.  You ever stop in the HFL Distillery to sample their spirits?

Lima and HFL are right next to each other.  It could be either.  I work in HFL.  It's a looong commute.  But I love the job.  I frequently have customers in for final acceptance of equipment purchases.  There are usually significant production run offs of the equipment.  Time is important so I usually order in food for our customers instead of taking them out for lunch.  HFL restaurants have very slow service.  If I didn't order salads frequently I'd have another 20lbs on the 40 lbs too much frame I'm carrying already.  I do miss Guidas pizzas.  The single slices were almost 1/4 of a pie.

I'm not a fan of HFL distillery's whiskey so I don't stop in.  I do drive by it every day on the way home from work, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't look at the place every day and consider pulling in anyway.

Socal pizza sucks.   I'm jealous, I certainly miss Buffalo pizza.   Always make it a point to visit Bocce and Bar Bill (for wings) when I'm there.   Along with Jim's Steakout, Mighty Taco, Chef's and Tim Horton's are the usual stops.     Although I've lost my affinity for Mighty Taco due to Del Taco just having higher quality ingredients.     Santora's in Mission Viejo I believe was started by the same Santora's in Buffalo.    The wings are flavorful, but small... and the pizza is just meh.    

Planning on trying Elmo's, Imperial, Carbone's, John's Pizza & Subs, next trip.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Eleven said:

Paging @Randall Flagg.  Now that you've spent a year in Oklahoma, which has the most glorious brisket in the universe, please join me in telling these Lone Staters where to stick their Alamo.

I don't think BBQ changes much across the Red River; the cattle drive trails brought good brisket BBQ all through the region.  Fort Worth and OKC both have the nickname of Cowtown for good reason.

Edited by Doohickie

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Socal pizza sucks.   I'm jealous, I certainly miss Buffalo pizza.   Always make it a point to visit Bocce and Bar Bill (for wings) when I'm there.   Along with Jim's Steakout, Mighty Taco, Chef's and Tim Horton's are the usual stops.     Although I've lost my affinity for Mighty Taco due to Del Taco just having higher quality ingredients.     Santora's in Mission Viejo I believe was started by the same Santora's in Buffalo.    The wings are flavorful, but small... and the pizza is just meh.    

SoCal pizza is terrible.  Try Rubino’s on Oso Pkwy in Mission Viejo.  At least they use quality ingredients and the sauce is sweeter than most.

14 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Not a huge fan of Del Taco either, but I lost my affinity for Mighty as well.  

13 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

SoCal pizza is terrible.  Try Rubino’s on Oso Pkwy in Mission Viejo.  At least they use quality ingredients and the sauce is sweeter than most.

Terra Mia on Alicia is our new favorite.  I'll try Rubinos.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not a huge fan of Del Taco either, but I lost my affinity for Mighty as well.  

I lived off Super Mightys for a few years.   

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

I do not understand the love for Mighty Taco at all.  

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I guess it was a drunk, late night at 18 kind of thing.

Pretty much.   

Del Taco is fantastic tho.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.