OT -- High Praise for Buffalo Pizza

nfreeman

9 minutes ago, SDS said:

I am getting a little tired of agreeing with you… 

My understanding is that native people from Texas don’t give a about the rest of the country. As for Arizona, that was a popular destination when there was a mass exodus out of western New York. 

Nah, I think that just applies to BBQ.

I find that everywhere I go, we Buffaloians bring our food with us and the locals fall in love with it.  In college, a guy a knew from home opened a restaurant in Bloomington IN called BuffaLouies and 30 years later it's still going strong.  In Columbus OH, some Buffalo college kids opened BW3 around the same time and it has grown into a successful chain with 1200 locations around the world now called Buffalo Wild Wings.  Taco Mac here was started by a couple from home and they have built a very successful chain from it with 25 locations in Atlanta.  

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I find that everywhere I go, we Buffaloians bring our food with us and the locals fall in love with it.  In college, a guy a knew from home opened a restaurant in Bloomington IN called BuffaLouies and 30 years later it's still going strong.  In Columbus OH, some Buffalo college kids opened BW3 around the same time and it has grown into a successful chain with 1200 locations around the world now called Buffalo Wild Wings.  Taco Mac here was started by a couple from home and they have built a very successful chain from it with 25 locations in Atlanta.  

Buffalo wild wings is a shithole by me. If that is a representation of Buffalo - buffalo needs a vacuum cleaner…  The food is awful too. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Let's not hold up BW3 as an example of Buffalo food.  Their wings taste like our wings like chocolate cake tastes like pumpkin pie.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Why would people from Texas give an F about a buffalo restaurant? 

Well this:

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Same reason ex-pats here flock to Galla Pizza here and bring their friends.  Same reason Ted's in Tempe AZ has a line out the door at lunch and dinner.  Buffalo food is great and once others get a chance to try it, they love it to.  My Georgia born wife and my kids love Galla Pizza, Wings, Ted's hot dogs and Frozen Custard.  Some things are just better.

And also, regardless of the food, it's a really good sports bar.  It regularly makes the top sports bars list.  It also helps that they're basically in the middle of the TCU campus so it's a big college bar too.  They have half off pizza on Monday, 50-cent wings on Wednesday, but they go all Texas with enchiladas on Thursday.

3 hours ago, SDS said:

Buffalo wild wings is a shithole by me. If that is a representation of Buffalo - buffalo needs a vacuum cleaner…  The food is awful too. 

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Let's not hold up BW3 as an example of Buffalo food.  Their wings taste like our wings like chocolate cake tastes like pumpkin pie.

The original BW3 in Columbus was great.  It served Weck as well.  Now it's chain food, but the point isn't the quality of the food today, but that a buffalo food based restaurant, started by Buffalo college kids has grown into 1200 restuarants around the world.  That's pretty incredible.  It just proved that our food, even when done "poorly" sells wherever it goes.

I'm going to have to hit Galla Pizza this weekend.  

23 hours ago, nfreeman said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/is-americas-pizza-capital-buffalo-new-york

IMHO, Buffalo has excellent pizza, and far superior to Chicago (which is gross), although not as good as NYC. 

Discuss.

This is an ignorant opinion from someone who has undoubtedly spent very little time in Chicago and has not had Giordanos or Lou Malnattis pizza.  Also it reflects the NYC snobbery where only the best can be in Manhattan or Brooklyn an nothing else compares.

Edited by freester

21 minutes ago, freester said:

This is an ignorant opinion from someone who has undoubtedly spent very little time in Chicago and has not had Giordanos or Lou Malnattis pizza.  Also it reflects the NYC snobbery where only the best can be in Manhattan or Brooklyn an nothing else compares.

I've had Giordanos and Lou Malnati's (I prefer the latter) many times and I like the sauce (a LOT), but that's about it.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Define "Buffalo pizza." North has a good start maybe. And tell me three places with "Buffalo pizza" that a visitor could easily find. I think the only pizza I've had in Buffalo was La Nova and I thought it was awful.

The article defines it.

Casa di Pizza is on Mohawk and Main, not far from the Arena.

La Prima is on Chippewa and Pearl, also not very far from the Arena.

Mr. Pizza is on Elmwood and Delevan, not near the Arena.

Bocce Club (my personal favorite) is on Bailey near UB.

28 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The article defines it.

Bella Pizza on South Park or Abbott in So Buff is outstanding.

Picasso's has a few stores all over town -- terrific product.

Also, Lovejoy Pizza and Carbone's Pizza are both in Lovejoy, and they are both excellent.

I swear by Lovejoy pizza at the original store -- I haven't been to their new store (northtowns, I think).

Shoot. Even Franco's, which is everywhere, is solid. Not outstanding, but consistently good.

One last one: Leonardi's at the 5 Points intersection in Amherst (between UB South and UB North) is quietly among the best in the area.

36 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I've had Giordanos and Lou Malnati's (I prefer the latter) many times and I like the sauce (a LOT), but that's about it.

The article defines it.

Ah, I know exactly where Bocce is. Pizza and then a Boston cream at Paula's? Where's the nearest vascular center?

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Ah, I know exactly where Bocce is. Pizza and then a Boston cream at Paula's? Where's the nearest vascular center?

Unfortunately, it's a few miles away.  You should get the pizza and the doughnut to go and eat them near the medical campus.

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Bella Pizza on South Park or Abbott in So Buff is outstanding.

Picasso's has a few stores all over town -- terrific product.

Also, Lovejoy Pizza and Carbone's Pizza are both in Lovejoy, and they are both excellent.

I swear by Lovejoy pizza at the original store -- I haven't been to their new store (northtowns, I think).

Shoot. Even Franco's, which is everywhere, is solid. Not outstanding, but consistently good.

One last one: Leonardi's at the 5 Points intersection in Amherst (between UB South and UB North) is quietly among the best in the area.

Picasso's, for my money, is the best of the Buffalo style. Fluffy dough, generous sweet sauce, lots of cheese and cup char pepperoni full of grease, and a proprietary spice dusting that really seals the deal. I worked at the Lancaster location when I was a teenager and it didn't even ruin it for me, so you know it's good pizza. My family has been going there almost every Saturday since 1992. 

I will note that Buffalo style, almost universally, gets better in the winter. I think it has to do with the humidity. There's nothing better than a hot cheese pep on a snowy January night. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If you're talking BBQ beef brisket, then that's a deep-in-a-heart-of-Texas thing and out of towners need not apply.

But Texans are open to other types of BBQ from other areas.  Pulled pork has moved in bigly the last few years and there are pulled pork places and traditional Texas BBQ places that serve pulled pork.  There's a Memphis dry rub BBQ place nearby that's been around for years. 

Brisket used to be the staple, along with sausage and smoked turkey, but the recent crop of BBQ joints have raised the bar considerably.  It's like being content with Miller Lite and finding out about craft beer- some of these new BBQ joints are really, really good.

5 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Picasso's, for my money, is the best of the Buffalo style. Fluffy dough, generous sweet sauce, lots of cheese and cup char pepperoni full of grease, and a proprietary spice dusting that really seals the deal. I worked at the Lancaster location when I was a teenager and it didn't even ruin it for me, so you know it's good pizza. My family has been going there almost every Saturday since 1992. 

I will note that Buffalo style, almost universally, gets better in the winter. I think it has to do with the humidity. There's nothing better than a hot cheese pep on a snowy January night. 

Good stuff -- and this is interesting.

I agree that winter pizza rules. But is it because of the humidity? I hung out with a bunch of foreign nationals days gone by in connection with some graduate work -- most of them were from fairly arid climates (including ones where it got cold in the winter). They all said that the humidity of winter in this area was what chilled them to the bone.

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

This is the part where I commit blasphemy and say that I just love cheese pizza, I dont need pepperoni to complete me, maybe black olives, but otherwise I'm good. 

Nah, nah - that's okay too. When we were young, my dad would order a pie from the local place with the works. Some pepperoni in there, but also every vegetable imaginable (plus green olives, whatever those are considered). What a glorious mess those were.

9 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Good stuff -- and this is interesting.

I agree that winter pizza rules. But is it because of the humidity? I hung out with a bunch of foreign nationals days gone by in connection with some graduate work -- most of them were from fairly arid climates (including ones where it got cold in the winter). They all said that the humidity of winter in this area was what chilled them to the bone.

Nah, nah - that's okay too. When we were young, my dad would order a pie from the local place with the works. Some pepperoni in there, but also every vegetable imaginable (plus green olives, whatever those are considered). What a glorious mess those were.

I can't say I've ever considered Buffalo winters to be...humid. But I suppose being on the lake we probably do see more moisture in the air than say...North Dakota. Perhaps our winters are relatively humid, but when you're in the pizza kitchen winter is markedly drier and cooler, even if the difference is a drop from 95 degrees down to 80. 

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Unfortunately, it's a few miles away.  You should get the pizza and the doughnut to go and eat them near the medical campus.

My plan:

1. Eat the pizza in house.

2. Eat the donut on the way back toward UB.

3. Wear camo fatigues and have fake dogtags.

4. Have the big one while entering the VA lot.

I should be fine.

Edited by PASabreFan
TIA

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Also in Williamsville across the street from North High School.  Same owner, pies are identical tasting. 

My Mom and Dad went to Bocce's on Bailey when they were dating in the early 60's and there were still bocce ball courts next to it. My Dad went there so much the owner had him behind the counter to have a beer on more than one occasion. Now he goes to the Williamsville branch so often the owner knows him. He's the son of the original owner.  When my Dad told him he knew his Dad and mentioned he had been behind the counter to have a beer with him the son's eye's widened and said "I remember the old man used to do that sometimes!" 

Although I love Bocce's, their consistency has suffered a bit in recent years. Occasional over-cooking. 

You gotta try Imperial Pizza on Abbot Road (near Patrick Kane's home as I understand it) sometime if Bocce's is your favorite.  It's different, but just as good in the same ways. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

This is the part where I commit blasphemy and say that I just love cheese pizza, I dont need pepperoni to complete me, maybe black olives, but otherwise I'm good. 

I like cheese pizza.  I usually have one slice of just cheese and one slice of cheese and pepperoni if I'm at a slice shop or at a party.

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

My plan:

1. Eat the pizza in house.

2. Eat the donut on the way back toward UB.

3. Wear camo fatigues and have fake dogtags.

4. Have the big one while entering the VA lot.

I should be fine.

Clearly you are unfamiliar with the reputation of that hospital.

59 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I can't say I've ever considered Buffalo winters to be...humid. But I suppose being on the lake we probably do see more moisture in the air than say...North Dakota. Perhaps our winters are relatively humid, but when you're in the pizza kitchen winter is markedly drier and cooler, even if the difference is a drop from 95 degrees down to 80. 

Good point. 

38 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Is Bob and John’s Lahacienda on Hertle Ave still around.  Use to live there as a kid and later Bocci’s on Bailey.  My brother worked there in High School, got free leftovers for a couple years... mmmm.

It is. They still do a very good job. It's not what it once was, imo, but I consider them to be good to very good.

18 minutes ago, Sakman said:

Although I love Bocce's, their consistency has suffered a bit in recent years. Occasional over-cooking. 

You gotta try Imperial Pizza on Abbot Road (near Patrick Kane's home as I understand it) sometime if Bocce's is your favorite.  It's different, but just as good in the same ways. 

Can confirm.

Man, I forgot about Imperial. It's interesting how many of the best pizza joints are in South Buffalo/Lovejoy.

48 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Is Bob and John’s Lahacienda on Hertle Ave still around.  Use to live there as a kid and later Bocci’s on Bailey.  My brother worked there in High School, got free leftovers for a couple years... mmmm.

Literally got pizza from there yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

Now that's what I'm talking about

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

OMG a vegan is among us

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Is that the same owner as the one in the 1st Ward on South Park and Hamburg

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

If you're talking BBQ beef brisket, then that's a deep-in-a-heart-of-Texas thing and out of towners need not apply.

But Texans are open to other types of BBQ from other areas.  Pulled pork has moved in bigly the last few years and there are pulled pork places and traditional Texas BBQ places that serve pulled pork.  There's a Memphis dry rub BBQ place nearby that's been around for years. 

Brisket used to be the staple, along with sausage and smoked turkey, but the recent crop of BBQ joints have raised the bar considerably.  It's like being content with Miller Lite and finding out about craft beer- some of these new BBQ joints are really, really good.

BBQ here in the ATL is a very mixed bag.  We have some great places, but they owe no allegiance to KC, NC, Memphis or Tex style.  My wife likes NC style, I tend to be more Memphis. However, pulled pork tends to dominate here.  I don’t think I had ever had a real BBQ sandwich until I moved here 30 years ago. 

We usually get our BBQ from a place called Heirlook Market BBQ.  This tiny places is owned by a former S Koren Pop Star and her Texas born partner.  They do amazing pulled pork, but also brisket and great fried chicken (on Wednesday’s only).  Many of their sides and sauces have Asian influences.  It’s unique and really good. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.