Why do the Sabres still have the 3 headed goalie?

LabattBlue

Could somebody please explain to me why the Sabres are starting another training camp with the 3 headed goalie nightmare still in place. Biron is not leading the Sabres to the promised land. He has had numerous chances and has been mediocre at best. Trade him NOW, let Noranen FINALLY have a chance to be the #1 goalie and if he shows that he can't cut it over an extended period of games, it becomes "Miller Time"!

Goalies develop much slower than other players. That's why they're reluctant to give up on any of the three. Hasek emerged as a star when he was the same age Biron is now.

Barrasso 18?

Brodeur 21?

Theodore 24?

Luongo 23?

Some goalies take less time.

Anyway. I'm a Biron fan. But this franchise has no faith in him. They have created this three headed monster. He should be the clear cut #1.

There are some, yes, but most develop later. Right now, they don't know who's going to be the best of the group. With our luck, the goalie they move will end up being the best.

As for having no faith in Biron, I don't think they have faith in any of them.

Check the Sabres record books. Hasn't Biron showed enough. Why does Regier get a free pass for the past few seasons when he "couldn't" go out and sign some talent? Yet Biron gets hammered despite having good numbers with not much talent in front of him?

You put some talent in front of Biron and he'll take you to the playoffs. It's not much to ask fro a player who has given alot to the franchise.

I wonder if being a Muckler pick has anything to do with it. Connolly and Pyatt get every chance in the world. Yet every year they try to find someone to replace Marty. <_<

You put some talent in front of Biron and he'll take you to the playoffs. It's not much to ask fro a player who has given alot to the franchise.

I wonder if being a Muckler pick has anything to do with it. Connolly and Pyatt get every chance in the world. Yet every year they try to find someone to replace Marty. <_<

i hear that... i think theres some favortism going on there... if Biron had a half way decent team in front of him he'd be alright. Especially the Defense... ah well... only a few weeks more and its hockey time!

The key to Biron being successful or not in this league is in his own head. If he can figure out how to be mentally tough in Oct - Dec and not give up the 1 or 2 crushing soft goals that he has a tendency to give up, and instead play like he does in March year round; the guy can be a star in the NHL. Regardless of whether the Sabres (or any other team that he may be on in the near future (My gut feel is still that Noronen ends up the traded goalie, but I don't feel that is a given.)) have more talent than last time out's club or not, he holds the keys to his own future.

Dave.

I don't believe in Biron as much as you do. He has had 3 years to show that he can be a #1 goalie, but during this period of time, he has had stretches of games where his play has been very below average. I'm not sold on Miller, especially considering the Amerks disappointing exit from the playoffs, but I'd like to see Mika get a shot to be the number 1 goalie. Unfortunately, I believe he that he has always been in Ruff's doghouse(for reasons unknown to me).

I don't believe in Biron as much as you do.  He has had 3 years to show that he can be a #1 goalie, but during this period of time, he has had stretches of games where his play has been very below average.  I'm not sold on Miller, especially considering the Amerks disappointing exit from the playoffs, but I'd like to see Mika get a shot to be the number 1 goalie.  Unfortunately, I believe he that he has always been in Ruff's doghouse(for reasons unknown to me).

During those stretches was it just Marty?

It's not like this team scores 5 goals a game and Marty lets in 6. The Margin of error is slim for the Sabres. If Marty lets in two then they win. If he lets in three they lose.

Hasek allowed Regier to do nothing. Regier knew no matter who they tossed out there Hasek would and did steal games for them. The problem was he tried the same with Biron. Hasek is an 'All World' 'Hall of Famer'. He should be in the hall now even though he is still playing. Biron can fall far short of Hasek's legacey and still be an excellent goalie.

Also,

Wouldn't having the franchise come out and say "Biron is Number One" help toughen up Biron? Being believed in goes along way. The Sabres should try it.

And Trade Mika. The Kid's going to be good. Give him a chance even if it's on another team.

During those stretches was it just Marty?

It's not like this team scores 5 goals a game and Marty lets in 6. The Margin of error is slim for the Sabres. If Marty lets in two then they win. If he lets in three they lose.

Hasek allowed Regier to do nothing. Regier knew no matter who they tossed out there Hasek would and did steal games for them. The problem was he tried the same with Biron. Hasek is an 'All World' 'Hall of Famer'. He should be in the hall now even though he is still playing. Biron can fall far short of Hasek's legacey and still be an excellent goalie.

Also, 

Wouldn't having the franchise come out and say "Biron is Number One" help toughen up Biron? Being believed in goes along way. The Sabres should try it.

And Trade Mika. The Kid's going to be good. Give him a chance even if it's on another team.

No, during those stretches it was not just Marty. The problem is, at the beginning of the season, he does not win games for the Sabres, but he does lose games for them (how many 4 goal leads against Atlanta are not safe with Marty in net). However, toward the end of the season, he DOES win games for them. He NEEDS to do this in October because those points that get thrown away at the beginning of the season come back to haunt this team come late March / early April. Also, if he plays in October like he does in March, he will be NAMED the number 1 goalie.

As for telling Marty, he's number 1, he needs to step up and EARN the number 1. I do agree with you that telling him he's number one might help him psychologically, but I don't think that Ruff will say that unless he believes it. I think Ruff is a very good coach but I don't always agree with the way he handles his players. I do not see the Sabres ever telling Marty he is number 1 unless his play dictates that he has earned it. Hopefully he will do it this year.

Dave.

No, during those stretches it was not just Marty. The problem is, at the beginning of the season, he does not win games for the Sabres, but he does lose games for them (how many 4 goal leads against Atlanta are not safe with Marty in net). However, toward the end of the season, he DOES win games for them. He NEEDS to do this in October because those points that get thrown away at the beginning of the season come back to haunt this team come late March / early April. Also, if he plays in October like he does in March, he will be NAMED the number 1 goalie.

As for telling Marty, he's number 1, he needs to step up and EARN the number 1. I do agree with you that telling him he's number one might help him psychologically, but I don't think that Ruff will say that unless he believes it. I think Ruff is a very good coach but I don't always agree with the way he handles his players. I do not see the Sabres ever telling Marty he is number 1 unless his play dictates that he has earned it. Hopefully he will do it this year.

Dave.

Wouldn't 101 wins, 17 shutouts and a GAA of 2.44 be considered "proving it?" Considering what he has in front of him on a nightly basis he belongs in the Sabre Hall Of Fame.

Wouldn't 101 wins, 17 shutouts and a GAA of 2.44 be considered "proving it?" Considering what he has in front of him on a nightly basis he belongs in the Sabre Hall Of Fame.

Wouldn't a career record of 16-21-4 in November with only 2 shutouts indicate that he has issues in November? Wouldn't a career record of 13-19-4 with only 3 shutouts in December indicate he has issues in December? He plays brilliantly in January and fantastic in March, however his play in November and December KILLS the Sabres every season.

In his years as the starter, he is 6-6-1, 0-6-1, and 2-4-2 in November and 2-5-1, 4-6-1, and 2-5-1 in December. Several of those games were lost or tied due to a bad goal being given up. His goals against average is close to 3 per game in those months. He becomes superman in January, but by the time he becomes superman, the Sabres are in ~12th place in the conference. You can't be fighting an uphill battle the entire season.

He IS a good goalie. However, he needs to step up his play in the 1st half of the season (assuming he is the #1 goalie) or the Sabres WILL NOT make the playoffs.

It's not the agglomerate record that is my concern. It is what he does in the 1st half of the season. To date, he has not produced at the beginning of a season; the Sabres have been put behind the 8-ball and have not been able to dig out of the hole they have been in.

Considering he lets in FAR TOO MANY shots from the blueline and bad angles during November and December, he does not belong in any hall of fame. So far he ranks with the Gary Bromleys of the Sabres history, not with the Haseks or even the Edwardss.

Dave.

Wouldn't a career record of 16-21-4 in November with only 2 shutouts indicate that he has issues in November? Wouldn't a career record of 13-19-4 with only 3 shutouts in December indicate he has issues in December? He plays brilliantly in January and fantastic in March, however his play in November and December KILLS the Sabres every season.

In his years as the starter, he is 6-6-1, 0-6-1, and 2-4-2 in November and 2-5-1, 4-6-1, and 2-5-1 in December. Several of those games were lost or tied due to a bad goal being given up. His goals against average is close to 3 per game in those months. He becomes superman in January, but by the time he becomes superman, the Sabres are in ~12th place in the conference. You can't be fighting an uphill battle the entire season.

He IS a good goalie. However, he needs to step up his play in the 1st half of the season (assuming he is the #1 goalie) or the Sabres WILL NOT make the playoffs.

It's not the agglomerate record that is my concern. It is what he does in the 1st half of the season. To date, he has not produced at the beginning of a season; the Sabres have been put behind the 8-ball and have not been able to dig out of the hole they have been in.

Considering he lets in FAR TOO MANY shots from the blueline and bad angles during November and December, he does not belong in any hall of fame. So far he ranks with the Gary Bromleys of the Sabres history, not with the Haseks or even the Edwardss.

Dave.

Now how are you going to come out here and bad mouth Gary Bromley? :lol:

Do you have the GGA to go with those starts?

How about this. In baseball when a starting pitcher is a slow starter they increase the number of warmup pitchers and start his routine earlier. Marty does start slow. So why not increase the off/pre season work loads? Find him a summer league or something.

A thing that does bother me is that Marty hasn't played in a long time. He should have found a way play over the break.

Now how are you going to come out here and bad mouth Gary Bromley?  :lol:

Do you have the GGA to go with those starts?

How about this. In baseball when a starting pitcher is a slow starter they increase the number of warmup pitchers and start his routine earlier. Marty does start slow. So why not increase the off/pre season work loads? Find him a summer league or something.

A thing that does bother me is that Marty hasn't played in a long time. He should have found a way play over the break.

Eyeballing it, it is pretty close to (perhaps even over) 3 per game in November and December. The stats are available on just about any hockey website; I didn't feel like wasting the time to calculate it out myself.

In January his GAA is below 2 since he became the starter.

Dave.

Archived