Berglund, Sobotka, & a Season Preview

Randall Flagg

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There is no doubt the Sabres will miss O’Reilly, but I think you are overstating the blow to the top six.

They've essentially swapped out ROR, Kane, Pouliot, Nolan and Josefson for Mittlestadt, Skinner, Sheary, Berglund and Sobotka

And them 1st rounders 

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

There is no doubt the Sabres will miss O’Reilly, but I think you are overstating the blow to the top six.

They've essentially swapped out ROR, Kane, Pouliot, Nolan and Josefson for Mittlestadt, Skinner, Sheary, Berglund and Sobotka

They could still have Kane and ROR if they really had wanted to.. and still have Skinner and Sheary and Mittlestadt in the mix.     Berglund and Sobotka probably could've been had for a couple picks/prospects.      Imagine the lineup...

Skinner - Eichel - Kane
Sheary - ROR - Okposo
Reinhart - Mittlestadt - Sobotka
Girgensons - Berglund - Pominville

+ HC Dave Tippet = Playoffs

9 hours ago, pi2000 said:

They could still have Kane and ROR if they really had wanted to.. and still have Skinner and Sheary and Mittlestadt in the mix.     Berglund and Sobotka probably could've been had for a couple picks/prospects.      Imagine the lineup...

Skinner - Eichel - Kane
Sheary - ROR - Okposo

There is no reasonable way Kane was staying with the Sabres.  None.  There's no indication of ANY possibility of it happening.  I don't know why people insist on clinging to this concept.  

Berglund and Sobotka probably would have ended up in another trade deal somewhere else, unless you think St. Louis was ONLY talking to Buffalo and was willing to say, no ROR? how about some picks and we'll give you these two.  Oh, and perhaps those picks are the ones that were used to land Sheary and Skinner?  I mean, getting the 1st rounder from St. Louis next year kind of provides protection against the 2nd rounder they gave up for Skinner doesn't it?

You are making roster moves and trades in a vacuum.  

10 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Skinner - Eichel - Kane
Sheary - ROR - Okposo

I would except it doesn't come close to fitting under the cap. It is roughly 10million over the Salary cap and that's if I carry a backup forward (Baptiste) and only have 7 defenders and 2 goalies. Further that is with not burying anyone in the minors but trading them away. SO Larsson and Erod got traded in this scenario. I also only gave Reinhart 4.5mil for his second contract. 

Pi_Roster.PNG

Edited by LGR4GM

10 hours ago, spndnchz said:

That’s what fandom wants. 

Yep. That's what I cling to at night as a fan. Those sweet 1st round picks in 2020 that might even possibly make the team in 5 years. That's certainly better than having either O'Reilly or Kane on the roster scoring goals and lacing up for the team now.

We should just trade Eichel now. I bet we could get some team's 1st round picks for the next 5 years. Imagine the excitement!

Those picks are in 2019 currently but I note the hyperbole. 

You can't include ROR in that sentence though because we have 3 players who will potentially play for the Sabres this year as a result of the ROR trade. Sobotka, Berglund, and Thompson. 

Edited by LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Those picks are in 2019 currently but I note the hyperbole. 

You can't include ROR in that sentence though because we have 3 players who will potentially play for the Sabres this year as a result of the ROR trade. Sobotka, Berglund, and Thompson. 

They aren't guaranteed to be 2019 picks. If I remember right they have protections that could push them off another year.

1 minute ago, Alkoholist said:

They aren't guaranteed to be 2019 picks. If I remember right they have protections that could push them off another year.

And they are currently 2019 first round picks unless those protections kick in. Is STL a bottom 10 team. Is SJS going to miss the playoffs. 

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

And they are currently 2019 first round picks unless those protections kick in. Is STL a bottom 10 team. Is SJS going to miss the playoffs. 

You never know. The Kings have missed the playoffs after winning the Cup. Chicago had a dynasty and they've missed the playoffs recently. I didn't expect the Blues to miss the playoffs last year so a bottom 10 finish isn't exactly impossible. Injuries, bad goalies, something bad happening in the personal life of a coach or key player could make anything happen. We'll likely get the picks in 2019 but it's not in the bag yet.

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Might even get 3 roster players back plus a 1st round pick. 

The old three nickels and a slug for our shiny quarter. I call that The Botterill special. You get Botterill on the horn to iron out the details and I'll peruse HFboards to see what kind of 3rd liners fans are sick of that we can acquire. Then we can meet back up and have a team chock full of depth with no good players.

We can probably trade Ristolainen for 3 or 4 left handed Swedes for the bottom pairing and trade Mittelstadt for a backup goalie, an entire 4th line, and 2 first rounders in 2022 and 2023!

Look out NHL! The Sabres are gearing up to be contenders in 2030!

Edited by Alkoholist

I’m finding it hard not to go full-Pangloss on this season.  It’ll probably lead to crushing disappointment but what the heck?  There are reasons to be enthused.  

The Lehner skate-sharpening article gives us reason 563 to be glad that giant doofus is somewhere else, and I think (without, admittedly, any evidence to back this up) that the removal of ROR and his sad sack routine from the locker room might be worth it from a team dynamic point of view, even if he will be missed on the ice.  

Finally, this is starting to look like an actual hockey team with NHL players on it... guys who have been able to coast because there was nobody to replace them (looking at you, Zemgus and Johan) are going to have to earn it or, hopefully, be replaced.  I like what JBOTs has done so far, and remain convinced that he’s not done doing things.  I can’t wait for this season to start, I think it’ll be at least fun again.  

Note: Feel free to drag this out and beat me over the head with it when they start 0-5 and Jack has spontaneously combusted, taking Samson with him in front of a bus on the tandem bike... 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

I’m finding it hard not to go full-Pangloss on this season.  It’ll probably lead to crushing disappointment but what the heck?  There are reasons to be enthused.  

I'm with you. The later Regier years and the entirety of the tank (until now) have seemed to demand players play way over their head (Zemgus 1C, etc), and have perfect development curves and/or career years for us to even be competitive.

This is the first time in a long time that our roster is filled with players who will be playing on the line that their talent would suggest is appropriate.

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I would except it doesn't come close to fitting under the cap. It is roughly 10million over the Salary cap and that's if I carry a backup forward (Baptiste) and only have 7 defenders and 2 goalies. Further that is with not burying anyone in the minors but trading them away. SO Larsson and Erod got traded in this scenario. I also only gave Reinhart 4.5mil for his second contract. 

Pi_Roster.PNG

but I was told JBOTs is a cap genius

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.