English Premier League 2018-2019

Sabel79

It took one minute for Man Utd. get a cheap penalty.  The season has started, ladies and gentlemen... 

While I think Man City tuns away and hides from everyone again, and Liverpool are likely a lock for second, the fun teams to watch will be Arsenal, United, Spurs, and Chelsea.  Two Champions League spots for those four to fight over. I think it ends in the order I listed them in.  

Man C is the best EPL side that oil money can buy, but they don't seem to be able to stand up to the rigours of Champions League, at least recently.

I expect them to runaway with the EPL title.  I agree, Liverpool for second spot.  Liverpool will do better in Champions League play.

I don't think that Man U makes the top 4, maybe not even top 7.  They don't impress me much.

On 8/10/2018 at 4:43 PM, N S said:

Man C is the best EPL side that oil money can buy, but they don't seem to be able to stand up to the rigours of Champions League, at least recently.

I expect them to runaway with the EPL title.  I agree, Liverpool for second spot.  Liverpool will do better in Champions League play.

City look ferocious and fearsome. I do hope there's an actual competition for the title this season, but I am not optimistic.

I hate the Monday games -- there'll no good way for me to keep track of what Liverpool's doing this afternoon.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

A tangled bit of business, that.

Chelsea's been good so far, yeah?

Ehhhhhhhhh.  They've had Huddersfield to start, followed by Arsenal and then Newcastle.  Arsenal could and should have scored about eight goals on them. Huddersfield are terrible, as are Newcastle and that game required a penalty of questionable vintage right at the end to win.  They have Bournemouth, Cardiff, and West Ham followed by Liverpool at the end of September.  If they drop a point prior to Liverpool I'lol be shocked, but that says less about Chelsea than it does about the concerning trend of the EPL looking more and more like Spain.  Shiny and nice at the top, hot garbage the rest of the way down.  

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

Ehhhhhhhhh.  They've had Huddersfield to start, followed by Arsenal and then Newcastle.  Arsenal could and should have scored about eight goals on them. Huddersfield are terrible, as are Newcastle and that game required a penalty of questionable vintage right at the end to win.  They have Bournemouth, Cardiff, and West Ham followed by Liverpool at the end of September.  If they drop a point prior to Liverpool I'lol be shocked, but that says less about Chelsea than it does about the concerning trend of the EPL looking more and more like Spain.  Shiny and nice at the top, hot garbage the rest of the way down.  

No bueno.

2 hours ago, N S said:

So, is it just me, or does Man U really stink?

It's the patented and inevitable third-year of Jose Mourinho meltdown.  His last four jobs, year three, ka-blam.  Maybe not so much Inter, can't remember how that ended.  Fun to watch though.  

On 8/29/2018 at 2:02 PM, Sabel79 said:

No kidding.  

The Premier League has six teams worth watching, and you could make a defensible argument that Everton maybe make a seventh.   Still better than Spain’s 2.5, (Athletico Madrid sometimes is the .5) but troublesome.  

I'll wait to see how the season plays out. I still think the middle of the table will cause trouble for some of the big clubs. But, yes, it is a troubling trend. It's an indication of how capital always, always tends to consolidate power (unless it is acted upon in a way intended to impede or retard that inevitable process).

On 8/30/2018 at 4:26 PM, N S said:

So, is it just me, or does Man U really stink?

Maybe? There's just too much talent there to really stink it up.

On 8/30/2018 at 7:23 PM, Sabel79 said:

It's the patented and inevitable third-year of Jose Mourinho meltdown.  His last four jobs, year three, ka-blam.  Maybe not so much Inter, can't remember how that ended.  Fun to watch though.  

I've heard this. Maybe the USMNT can time a hiring of the guy to ensure qualification.

So, we are a month into the EPL season with 4 matches in the books.

I have not been able to follow very closely so far, but a look at the top of the table shows that 4 sides are 4 and 0 ... Liverpool (no surprise there), Chelsea (pretty big surprise there) and Watford (WTF? ... Watford?).

41 minutes ago, N S said:

So, we are a month into the EPL season with 4 matches in the books.

I have not been able to follow very closely so far, but a look at the top of the table shows that 4 sides are 4 and 0 ... Liverpool (no surprise there), Chelsea (pretty big surprise there) and Watford (WTF? ... Watford?).

The win over Spurz was impressive, but it helped that their first three games were Brighton, Burnley, and Palace.  They (and Chelsea, IMO) will fall back down the standings as the schedule gets tougher.

7 hours ago, N S said:

How come there was no EPL this past week?

Champions League has not started yet.

Another useless, soul-destroying international break.  Especially pointless as nobody's qualifying for anything.  And the UEFA Nations League can just F**k right off...

But hey, real soccer back this weekend. 

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

Real soccer = Everton getting thumped by the last place squad. 

LOL.

They are a tenth place side in a 20 team league.  What do you expect.  And with the big win at Everton West Ham is not at the bottom of the table now.

Oh, and Watford with their first 'L'.

20 hours ago, N S said:

LOL.

They are a tenth place side in a 20 team league.  What do you expect.  And with the big win at Everton West Ham is not at the bottom of the table now.

Oh, and Watford with their first 'L'.

When I started following them they were a consistent Europa League player, fighting for a shot at the champions league. That's what I thought I was getting 4 years ago. I haven't watched them much since Lukaku left, honestly.