Chris Collins Arrested by FBI

Eleven

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You sure about the primaries?  There's 1 being held on September 13.

But the rest points towards this not having been politically motivated.  Which was the (very poorly stated) point of the post you were responding to.

Yep, I'm sure.  There was one downstate that made national news when a 27 year old won.

https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles/politics/campaigns-elections/new-yorks-congressional-primary-election-results-2018.html

• 2 months later...

I live in a rural county in his district.  He'll win this county in a landslide.  It's going to take the residents of Clarence and Amherst to get him out of Congress.

If I were betting on it, I'd bet he's re-elected, and found not guilty. 

Maybe it's just the pessimist in me.

8 minutes ago, Weave said:

I live in a rural county in his district.  He'll win this county in a landslide.  It's going to take the residents of Clarence and Amherst to get him out of Congress.

If I were betting on it, I'd bet he's re-elected, and found not guilty. 

Maybe it's just the pessimist in me.

Given that rural counties usually vote pro-gun and anti-rich guy who is under indictment, why?  McMurray is a very pro-gun guy.  I know you're right; I'm genuinely curious as to why, though.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Given that rural counties usually vote pro-gun and anti-rich guy who is under indictment, why?  McMurray is a very pro-gun guy.  I know you're right; I'm genuinely curious as to why, though.

Noone out here believes McMurray when he says he's a pro gun guy.  Democrat = gun grabber, regardless of what the individual politician says.

Everyone out here links Collins with Trump.  Collins was an early adopter of the Trump Train.  They love him out here for it.

Strangely enough, I've never got the anti-rich guy sense when it comes to politics out here. 

And icing on the cake, these folks vote party line across the board.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Noone out here believes McMurray when he says he's a pro gun guy.  Democrat = gun grabber, regardless of what the individual politician says.

Everyone out here links Collins with Trump.  Collins was an early adopter of the Trump Train.  They love him out here for it.

Strangely enough, I've never got the anti-rich guy sense when it comes to politics out here. 

And icing on the cake, these folks vote party line across the board.

Yup. I have little faith that all the rich people in Amherst are going to show up for McMurray in numbers strong enough to oust Collins. 

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Yup. I have little faith that all the rich people in Amherst are going to show up for McMurray in numbers strong enough to oust Collins. 

Saving grace is, he was the Supervisor in Grand Island, which is no slouch in the household income department.  I think he probably plays well in Amherst actually.

My polling place was easily as busy as it is on a Presidential election year.  Maybe the folks that don't take a shine to illegal activity among Congressmen are more motivated than I give credit for.

Or, Trump has motivated the lemmings.......

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

Saving grace is, he was the Supervisor in Grand Island, which is no slouch in the household income department.  I think he probably plays well in Amherst actually.

My polling place was easily as busy as it is on a Presidential election year.  Maybe the folks that don't take a shine to illegal activity among Congressmen are more motivated than I give credit for.

Or, Trump has motivated the lemmings.......

I'm especially interested in watching the poll results tonight to see if enough people come out for McMurray to make a difference, or if party line voting is really that strong that people will vote for a guy who will spend most of the next term in court fighting his insider trading charges.

10 minutes ago, darksabre said:

So what happens if Collins goes to prison/has to resign? How does his seat get filled? 

Year 1: Special election

Year 2: Varies by state, not sure what the law in NY is. 

Year 1 is the more likely to happen in this case, though.  

Actually I misspoke on year 2, the method does not vary (an election is always required as opposed to the Senate where the governor appoints someone) but there may or may not be a special election depending on how much time there is until the next general election.  

• 10 months later...
49 minutes ago, Weave said:

And now a source is stating he has resigned.

Wonder the change of heart?

He will plead guilty, the GOP will get someone in there to run as an incumbent in 2020 (likely Jacobs, I would think), and Trump will pardon Collins & son once sentenced, is my guess.  (Don't forget that Collins was the first congressperson to support Trump.)

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

He will plead guilty, the GOP will get someone in there to run as an incumbent in 2020 (likely Jacobs, I would think), and Trump will pardon Collins & son once sentenced, is my guess.  (Don't forget that Collins was the first congressperson to support Trump.)

Who appoints his interim replacement? Cuomo?

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

Who appoints his interim replacement? Cuomo?

No, I think that's only for senators.  I think there has to be a special election.  Cuomo called a special election when Lee resigned a few years ago.

Edited by Eleven