Eichel buys Doug Whaley's house

WildCard

8 minutes ago, MillerVaive said:

I used to run into Derek Roy all the time at the Tops on Niagara St. I never got over how tiny that guy looked in person.

I met Brett Hull some years ago.  I had the same take (disclosure:   I'm 6'-2" a few inches taller than Hull).  He was much shorter than I imagined.  But a lot broader across the shoulders than a normal person.  That's how I recognized him:  He had the build of a professional athlete.

19 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I met Brett Hull some years ago.  I had the same take (disclosure:   I'm 6'-2" a few inches taller than Hull).  He was much shorter than I imagined.  But a lot broader across the shoulders than a normal person.  That's how I recognized him:  He had the build of a professional athlete.

Thats cool... always neat runnin into famous athletes like that. Many years ago my Aunt owned a greeting card store on Harlem Rd called The Card Factory. Cornelius Bennett & Bruce Smith used to go there often whenever they needed greeting cards. I was maybe 8 or 9 years old at the time, but I was awestruck at Bruce. The guy was so big he might've even had to duck down his head just to get thru the front door. There was no denying he was a football player thats for sure.

But personally if it was after that No Goal travesty & I had run into Brett Hull, i mightve been so inclined to bump into him or something lol. Even now he's a bit of a prick when he discusses the Sabres, at least whenever i've watched him. It's like he enjoys twisting that knife a bit where that goal was concerned. To the winners go the spoils i suppose lol. But no denying he was one helluva hockey player & prior to that series i was a big fan of him growing up.

Edited by MillerVaive
  • Like (+1) 1

Since we are name dropping in here ...

My brother had his foot run over by Ernie Whitt.

My wife and I were invited quests at Mario's Stanley Cup party in 1991.  We were his neighbours back then.  He and I share a birthday (October 5th) ... I am exactly 1 year older than Super Mario.

I hear Mario's custom built mansion in The Laurentiens (about an hour north of Montréal) is up for sale ... $22 million (Canadian), I think.

1 hour ago, MillerVaive said:

i mightve been so inclined to bump into him or something lol. Even now he's a bit of a prick when he discusses the Sabres, at least whenever i've watched him. It's like he enjoys twisting that knife a bit where that goal was concerned.

It was shortly after the Stars were eliminated from contention the after they won the Cup.  He was at an airport waiting for his bag after the flight.  I approached him and mentioned the season past, and the Cup win before that and finally asked him about the goal.  He winced since he didn't see it coming, but I asked him.... so was it a good goal or not?  His reply was something along the lines of, "You know this whole season I caught #### for that goal.  Lining up for faceoffs, an opponent will say, 'Hey Hull, that wasn't a good goal!'  I would have liked to score a highlight reel goal, but what could I do?  The puck was there, I swept it into the net and the refs called it a good goal.  I can't take it back."

So then I told him I wasn't expecting to meet anyone famous, but could he sign his boarding card for my nephew who plays hockey?  "Sure."  His name is Matt.  "To Matt, good luck in hockey.  Brett Hull" he signed the boarding pass.  I told him I'd take it to him when I went home to visit family in Buffalo later that summer.  He winced again....

Maybe he's a #### on the media about it, but he was an approachable guy, easy to talk to.  If we were both on a layover I'm sure he'd have a beer together.

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It was shortly after the Stars were eliminated from contention the after they won the Cup.  He was at an airport waiting for his bag after the flight.  I approached him and mentioned the season past, and the Cup win before that and finally asked him about the goal.  He winced since he didn't see it coming, but I asked him.... so was it a good goal or not?  His reply was something along the lines of, "You know this whole season I caught #### for that goal.  Lining up for faceoffs, an opponent will say, 'Hey Hull, that wasn't a good goal!'  I would have liked to score a highlight reel goal, but what could I do?  The puck was there, I swept it into the net and the refs called it a good goal.  I can't take it back."

So then I told him I wasn't expecting to meet anyone famous, but could he sign his boarding card for my nephew who plays hockey?  "Sure."  His name is Matt.  "To Matt, good luck in hockey.  Brett Hull" he signed the boarding pass.  I told him I'd take it to him when I went home to visit family in Buffalo later that summer.  He winced again....

Maybe he's a #### on the media about it, but he was an approachable guy, easy to talk to.  If we were both on a layover I'm sure he'd have a beer together.

Hey thats cool. Sounds pretty much like an honest answer. With such a pivotal moment in the game & in the series, you can't blame the guy for what happened. It's more on the ref's for not enforcing the league rule at the time. And yeah i imagine its like this with every player, where 1 on 1 they show you one side of themselves, & then when they get on TV sometimes its something else.

There's been a few times I've been downtown here at the bars/clubs & i've run into players having drinks & they've been for the most part really cool about interacting with fans. Andrew Peters while not a big star was one of those players who would buy you drinks like it was nothing. I remember one time half the Boston Bruins were at a bar on Elmwood, i think it was called Oasis. Its since now closed but they were practically the only people in the bar. At 1st i kinda felt bad for them since it looked kinda sad. I talked to a few of them, was gonna suggest a better place for them to go to, but then i remembered they were the Bruins so i couldnt care less & left them there. I hate the Bruins lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MillerVaive said:

Hey thats cool. Sounds pretty much like an honest answer. With such a pivotal moment in the game & in the series, you can't blame the guy for what happened. It's more on the ref's for not enforcing the league rule at the time. And yeah i imagine its like this with every player, where 1 on 1 they show you one side of themselves, & then when they get on TV sometimes its something else.

There's been a few times I've been downtown here at the bars/clubs & i've run into players having drinks & they've been for the most part really cool about interacting with fans. Andrew Peters while not a big star was one of those players who would buy you drinks like it was nothing. I remember one time half the Boston Bruins were at a bar on Elmwood, i think it was called Oasis. Its since now closed but they were practically the only people in the bar. At 1st i kinda felt bad for them since it looked kinda sad. I talked to a few of them, was gonna suggest a better place for them to go to, but then i remembered they were the Bruins so i couldnt care less & left them there. I hate the Bruins lol.

Had the f###ing LEAGUE followed their own rules & protocols, the refs would have as well.  They at least TRIED to do the right thing.

2 hours ago, N S said:

My wife and I were invited quests at Mario's Stanley Cup party in 1991.  We were his neighbours back then.  He and I share a birthday (October 5th) ... I am exactly 1 year older than Super Mario.

I hear Mario's custom built mansion in The Laurentiens (about an hour north of Montréal) is up for sale ... $22 million (Canadian), I think.

You should have been at Kevin Stevens debauchery fest.  Then again as a pious man of faith maybe not.  What a zoo!

6 hours ago, darksabre said:

The photo is definitely taken in such a way that his eyes always feel like they're on you. It's terrifying. 

Bad things man, bad things.

4 hours ago, mphs mike said:

It could have been this1039120452_SIBruce.thumb.JPG.0e9267a743d38d75481d568b094fdc60.JPG

Oh my god that is infinitely more terrifying 

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Yeah, but your eyes do the same thing in that picture.  CUT IT OUT!!!!  ?

giphy.gif

how YOU doin'?

Edited by josie
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

interesting.

Having read the article they do quote Amy Pfister... she's a smaller broker-owner.  It's possible that it's less an overall staged article.  Of course any real-estate journalist is going to have connections, especially to those who sell big ticket homes.

If I really cared I woudl dig into it more to see if Howard Hanna had exclusive rights to selling those homes.  There are a lot of co-development deals that work that way.

13 minutes ago, LTS said:

Having read the article they do quote Amy Pfister... she's a smaller broker-owner.  It's possible that it's less an overall staged article.  Of course any real-estate journalist is going to have connections, especially to those who sell big ticket homes.

If I really cared I woudl dig into it more to see if Howard Hanna had exclusive rights to selling those homes.  There are a lot of co-development deals that work that way.

The same Amy Pfister that's the daughter of longtime East Aurora head pro Ed Pfister?

14 hours ago, 3putt said:

You should have been at Kevin Stevens debauchery fest.  Then again as a pious man of faith maybe not.  What a zoo!

Bad things man, bad things.

I hear you about Stevens.  Glad you made it out alive.

The worst thing that happened at Mario's party, if I recall correctly ... it was a long time ago in a previous life ... is that the Cup ended up at the bottom of his pool.  In the deep end.

23 hours ago, MattPie said:

I don't watch local news-ish stuff unless I'm in Buffalo, but it's amazing how much of news TV seems to be thinly-disguised advertising. I'm sure it's the same everywhere. Actually, that goes for the national morning shows too.

"Seems" isn't the appropriate word - "is" is the appropriate word.  TV, websites, print, radio, all commercial media is for sale and is sold and sold and sold.  What you read, see and hear is 95% of the time, or greater, a product for consumption.

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

NS, I recall when Mario moved to a new house, or built a new house, in the South Hills area of Pittsburgh. Is this where you lived? Or was it Mario's old hood?

It was before he built that house out in the sticks, sort of.  We were all in Mount Lebanon at the time.

Just now, N S said:

It was before he built that house out in the sticks, sort of.  We were all in Mount Lebanon at the time.

I lived in Mount Washington and had many friends from Lebo.  BP as well.  I helped out with the Keystone State Games hockey team for a stint. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, N S said:

I was at Paille’s place and saw Chara walking his kid to the bus stop.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, 3putt said:

I lived in Mount Washington and had many friends from Lebo.  BP as well.  I helped out with the Keystone State Games hockey team for a stint. 

Cool.

We love Pittsburgh.  I believe that everything happens in our lives for a reason and trust in God's plan for us.  That said, we still think about what might have been had the Gulf War (the first one) not broken out and my good job had not been eliminated and all the war related panic and hiring freezes.

Oh well, we love NS even more.

On 8/7/2018 at 7:38 PM, Doohickie said:

I got to meet both Brett and Bobby Hull at a card show autograph session when I was a kid. Both were super friendly and approachable. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.