Dahlin and Mittelstadt Playing in The Fattey League Tonight.

Brawndo

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Very kind of ye!

For reference:

I had a laugh reading that, very good description of what made the Aud smell so special. Even funnier was a post a couple down from yours. A guy wrote that he was excited to see we picked up Brad Boyes lol. Ahhh the good ole days back in 2011.

• Like (+1) 1

My wife and I were driving on the cross-bronx expressway the other day (something I'd highly advise anyone against, if you can avoid it...), with the windows open. traffic was stop-and-go. A smell came in the window that took me back more than 20 years. I told my wife, "I recognize this smell." I immediately had visions of downtown Buffalo c. 1995. Whatever we were passing by- at that instant, it all came together to transport me back to the Aud. The nostalgia almost made me tear up...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, erickompositör72 said:

My wife and I were driving on the cross-bronx expressway the other day (something I'd highly advise anyone against, if you can avoid it...), with the windows open. traffic was stop-and-go. A smell came in the window that took me back more than 20 years. I told my wife, "I recognize this smell." I immediately had visions of downtown Buffalo c. 1995. Whatever we were passing by- at that instant, it all came together to transport me back to the Aud. The nostalgia almost made me tear up...

I can imagine that but what on earth possessed you to go that route?

I live in Westchester and do whatever is needed to avoid it in including going out of my way to the third avenue bridge when we cut into the city or taking the triboro to wherever is needed... God I hate that road, got stuck a couple of times when I first moved to NYC area... its a God foresaken stretch of road...  yeesh.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

I had a laugh reading that, very good description of what made the Aud smell so special. Even funnier was a post a couple down from yours. A guy wrote that he was excited to see we picked up Brad Boyes lol. Ahhh the good ole days back in 2011.

I got better.

Now I'm pinning my hopes on Samson's beautiful locks.

Love, The Artist Formerly known as Touched by Boyes ?

15 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

Good stuff.

I've literally never even Googled it (and I could, but pfffft), but I am nonetheless *convinced* that the sense of smell is the sense that is most tied to memory. Jesus Christmas is it weird. I have so many examples. Case in point: I dated a woman in my college years who wound up being frickin' insane. Well, not insane like psychotic, but neurotic enough that she became really unhinged and unglued at times. She had a perfume that she wore each day -- and it was therefore a calling card of sorts. When I do happen to smell someone else wearing it, I immediately feel a surge of adrenaline, then a vague ... stirring (I'm just a man, after all), and ultimately a squeamish feeling of panic and dread.

55 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Good stuff.

I've literally never even Googled it (and I could, but pfffft), but I am nonetheless *convinced* that the sense of smell is the sense that is most tied to memory. Jesus Christmas is it weird. I have so many examples. Case in point: I dated a woman in my college years who wound up being frickin' insane. Well, not insane like psychotic, but neurotic enough that she became really unhinged and unglued at times. She had a perfume that she wore each day -- and it was therefore a calling card of sorts. When I do happen to smell someone else wearing it, I immediately feel a surge of adrenaline, then a vague ... stirring (I'm just a man, after all), and ultimately a squeamish feeling of panic and dread.

It's different for everyone though.  I can't think of any experience ever remotely like this tied to smell.  It can be more generic, like say the smell of an ice rink in general or the smell of cheerios (who among us doesn't have that one?), but I never tie those things into a specific moment.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

It's different for everyone though.  I can't think of any experience ever remotely like this tied to smell.  It can be more generic, like say the smell of an ice rink in general or the smell of cheerios (who among us doesn't have that one?), but I never tie those things into a specific moment.

It is NOT different for everyone and you WILL agree that smell and memory are tied together like peas and carrots.

I'll wait.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.