Skinner is our Kessel

WildCard

21 minutes ago, bills_fan_in_raleigh said:

Agree  hope I am wrong about skinner never impressed me but one thing I do like about him is he shoots the damn puck

Agree with what? That a fungible prospect and lottery-ticket draft choices are a high price to pay for a proven 30 goal scorer?

(What is happening here?)

12 minutes ago, twosoakers said:

Great pic up and have money to resign next year when Pominville rolls off. Still feels like we need another experienced real NHL player on this roster

Moulson’s money (not sure how much at this point) rolls off too.

41 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Cliff Pu and non-first-round picks are a high price for a year of a 30 goal scorer?

I don't get the angst.  Pu is a middling prospect that will struggle to make an impact at the NHL level (MO obviously), and the picks are chump change.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Cliff Pu and non-first-round picks are a high price for a year of a 30 goal scorer?

it's a total waste if he does not sign extension. why give up anything if it's for 1 year. they either already have an understanding or they better get back more at deadline.

this team is not Cup or bust this year so i am believing something is in place already.

Great move. IMO Skinner has always been a Sabres killer. I dreaded seeing that guy get the puck on his stick, especially when games were tight. The guy can battle, his back hand shot is deadly, and he's good in the shootout.  I'm sure glad he's a Sabre now.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Great trade and great price. Skinner's name has been out there all summer and the idea never really interested me that much given his upcoming UFA status, but how can you not be ecstatic to get him for a reasonable price? And the fact he waived his NMC to come here gives me optimism that he may sign long term.

I was not thrilled with the O'Reilly trade at the time, but this off-sets that in a big way if Skinner re-signs. Skinner has a much higher ceiling offensively and should easily replace Ryan's offensive output, while the depth created in the previous trade makes our bottom six NHL-calibre. It all makes a lot more sense now. 

I wonder if the timelines overlap. Did Botterill make the O'Reilly trade knowing there was a decent chance he could land Skinner? Or was Skinner just an opportunity that arose later that he couldn't pass up.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, thesportsbuff said:

Great trade and great price. Skinner's name has been out there all summer and the idea never really interested me that much given his upcoming UFA status, but how can you not be ecstatic to get him for a reasonable price? And the fact he waived his NMC to come here gives me optimism that he may sign long term.

I was not thrilled with the O'Reilly trade at the time, but this off-sets that in a big way if Skinner re-signs. Skinner has a much higher ceiling offensively and should easily replace Ryan's offensive output, while the depth created in the previous trade makes our bottom six NHL-calibre. It all makes a lot more sense now. 

I wonder if the timelines overlap. Did Botterill make the O'Reilly trade knowing there was a decent chance he could land Skinner? Or was Skinner just an opportunity that arose later that he couldn't pass up.

A number of websites including the Hurricane's said they were shopping Skinner around July 1st but Skinner turned down a couple of offers, supposedly a western conference team was one, possibly the Kings.  Hurricane's circled back and Buffalo was on Skinner's list of ok, so they made the trade.

8 minutes ago, nucci said:

doubt that he's a rental.....and it's not really a high price

I'll second that.  Skinner had to agree to this trade due to a NMC, right?  That's gotta be an sign he'd have interests in re-signing w/ the Sabres.  If Buffalo has a good season showing they're vey close to good times, he'll stay in town.  May cost a pretty penny though... And it'd be worth it.  

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don't get the angst.  Pu is a middling prospect that will struggle to make an impact at the NHL level (MO obviously), and the picks are chump change.

Please don’t let me be misunderstood: I was asking a question there, intended to understand if the poster actually meant that.

I think it’s a fantastic value proposition.

36 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

it's a total waste if he does not sign extension. why give up anything if it's for 1 year. they either already have an understanding or they better get back more at deadline.

this team is not Cup or bust this year so i am believing something is in place already.

I don’t understand this at all. The team traded just a bit more than a proverbial bag of pucks for a year’s worth of a top-6 left winger.

15 minutes ago, nucci said:

doubt that he's a rental.....and it's not really a high price

It’s a feckin’ pittance!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Please don’t let me be misunderstood: I was asking a question there, intended to understand if the poster actually meant that.

Wasn't directed at you.  I assumed there was an element of sarcasm in your post.

• Like (+1) 1

Oh, and I might add, this (Top 6 winger for a bag of pucks) is what happens when you wait until a player has rental value before choosing to move him.  This is why I hate trading away rental players.  Carolina should have evaluated the Skinner situation and made a move last season.

3 hours ago, Sabre fan said:

he'll either be gone at the trade deadline or next summer...high price to pay for a rental

I addressed in the Skinner trade thread. You are incorrect unless you think Cliff Pu is a future 30goal score in the NHL and I certainly do not. 

2 hours ago, twosoakers said:

Great pic up and have money to resign next year when Pominville rolls off. Still feels like we need another experienced real NHL player on this roster

Welcome aboard. 

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Agree with what? That a fungible prospect and lottery-ticket draft choices are a high price to pay for a proven 30 goal scorer?

(What is happening here?)

Moulson’s money (not sure how much at this point) rolls off too.

3.975mil is his buried contract. 

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

Which part did we waste? Cliff Pu? I would gladly trade Cliff freaking Pu for 1 year of Jeff Skinner. 

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

The poster means it because he has posted it in multiple places and multiple threads.

That said I think Skinner could be our Kessel. I think Skinner has considerably more hustle than Kessel and understand that Skinner isn't good defensively. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.