TRADE: Sabres acquire Jeff Skinner

Hoss

4 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

But the chances of Skinner leaving and leaving us with nothing are not extremely low.

Sorry, you can't say that with any certainty. There are no facts to back up that claim.  The only thing we have to go on is what he, his agent, and JBotts have said in the media, which we can all discard (except one thing), and the impressions of his psychology based on said media content and what he exposes during the game in the form of his emotional reactions to whatever is happening.

My impression based on the latter is that he is very much enjoying his time here.  Likewise, we can read into his reported motivation for allowing himself to be traded here, which I interpret as a positive sign.  But the "signs" and impressions really mean nothing in the face of reality.

While I like to think he's more likely to want to sign here given these nebulous indicators, I have no certainty I'm correct other than my experience in "reading" people.  

All of that said, then I'm curious to know what indicators make you think the chances are "not extremely low" that Skinner will leave us and leave us with nothing..? 

Edited by ...

5 minutes ago, ... said:

Sorry, you can't say that with any certainty. There are no facts to back up that claim.  The only thing we have to go on is what he, his agent, and JBotts have said in the media, which we can all discard (except one thing), and the impressions of his psychology based on said media content and what he exposes during the game in the form of his emotional reactions to whatever is happening.

My impression based on the latter is that he is very much enjoying his time here.  Likewise, we can read into his reported motivation for allowing himself to be traded here, which I interpret as a positive sign.  But the "signs" and impressions really mean nothing in the face of reality.

While I like to think he's more likely to want to sign here given these nebulous indicators, I have no certainty I'm correct other than my experience in "reading" people.  

All of that said, then I'm curious to know what indicators make you think the chances are "not extremely low" that Skinner will leave us and leave us with nothing..? 

I'm confused about what I'm saying with any certainty. I'm OBJECTING to the claim that there's an approaching-zero chance that we lose the trade, by saying that the chances he's leaving are not approaching-zero, that we can't know that. I'm putting no upper bound on the chances at all and gave no further specifics. 

The chance that any UFA will leave their team is not extremely low and never is. It might not be high, but it exists in every situation. 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I wonder if the people in Stl are saying the same thing about the ROR trade?

He’s under contract for four more years after this.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Stay or leave, this trade was a master stroke. 

I agree but keeping him is JBotts biggest job right now. Trade is a plus but it’s a massive failure if he walks.

7 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I agree but keeping him is JBotts biggest job right now. Trade is a plus but it’s a massive failure if he walks.

I don't think I'd go this far, assuming they make a good offer to him before the deadline (which I expect them to do).  Skinner leaving would certainly be a major disappointment, but if they offer him a fat contract and he chooses to leave because he'd rather live/work elsewhere, that wouldn't be JBott's fault.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I don't think I'd go this far, assuming they make a good offer to him before the deadline (which I expect them to do).  Skinner leaving would certainly be a major disappointment, but if they offer him a fat contract and he chooses to leave because he'd rather live/work elsewhere, that wouldn't be JBott's fault.

It is. I’m tired of people leaving. You’ve got to retain talent to win. If he leaves this team takes a huge step back. That’s a failure for any GM.

19 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It is. I’m tired of people leaving. You’ve got to retain talent to win. If he leaves this team takes a huge step back. That’s a failure for any GM.

Who left that we wanted?  TM dumped the future for Lehner, Kane and ROR.  He added Gorges Moulson and others.  Jbot cleaned them all out and we are the better for it.  Skinner is having a dream season playing w the first real center of his career.  He isn’t going anywhere.

31 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Actually yes they are.  He's a bright spot in an otherwise drab season for them.

Do they think they fleeced us for him or that they Dave up good value? 

Besides Thompson’s on the job training, Vlad and   Bernie have given us much better depth then the tire fire that was here last season.  

That said Stl is headed to a top 10 pick which means our first likely gets moved to 2020.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Besides Thompson’s on the job training, Vlad and Bernie have given us much better depth then the tire fire that was here last season.

They viewed Vlad and Bergie much the same we we viewed Moulson.  They thought they were useless.  So from their perspective, they think they fleeced us.  Also, they're still in Year One of ROR.  Remember Year One in Buffalo?  We thought the guy was a godsend.  They're in that mode right now.  They haven't see the self-flagellating ROR yet.

With respect to the improvement the Sabres have had upon trading ROR, they say that it's all the other moves JBot made that improved the team (Skinner, Hutton, Sheary, etc.) and that the return from ROR is a net negative to the Sabres.  They say the locker room cancer assertions are #fakenews and "mental gymnastics" Sabres fans have gone through to justify the trade.  They think we're crazy to be glad he's gone.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who left that we wanted?  TM dumped the future for Lehner, Kane and ROR.  He added Gorges Moulson and others.  Jbot cleaned them all out and we are the better for it.  Skinner is having a dream season playing w the first real center of his career.  He isn’t going anywhere.

Not really concerned about the last few years. I think Kane staying would’ve been nice (trading him was the right move when it was clear the team and player didn’t want to stick together) but I’m thinking more about when we wanted to win hockey games. It’s been a while.

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

Lol what? It's not a massive failure in any way unless 1 of the pieces we gave up actually does something remotely close to skinner. Seems highly unlikely

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Do they think they fleeced us for him or that they Dave up good value? 

Besides Thompson’s on the job training, Vlad and   Bernie have given us much better depth then the tire fire that was here last season.  

That said Stl is headed to a top 10 pick which means our first likely gets moved to 2020.

I still think St. Louis may find their way out of the bottom 10, still fairly early. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.