TRADE: Sabres acquire Jeff Skinner

Hoss

33 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

with the pace he's on now, I don't imagine anything less than $8.5M/yr

Thats part of the reason I bet JBott waits until January or so to open up discussions. There's a good chance that he'll regress a little. He's on a rediculous tear right now, and it might continue like this! But it also might not, no reason to rush in right now.

20 minutes ago, sabills said:

Thats part of the reason I bet JBott waits until January or so to open up discussions. There's a good chance that he'll regress a little. He's on a rediculous tear right now, and it might continue like this! But it also might not, no reason to rush in right now.

Good point. I imagine around January, as you say, Botts will reach out

1 hour ago, Marions Piazza said:

Yeah i think this is overlooked, reports were that the only team he waived his clause for was Buffalo. Before even stepping on the ice, he mentioned that he's excited to play with Eichel who'd be the best center he's ever played with. He always looks happy too, every goal that he scores and the team scores, he's smiling. Hopefully he doesnt ask for Eichel like salary.

He knew exactly what he was doing by leaving Buffalo open as an option.  Personally I think it was mostly about playing with that elite center as opposed to the city/team itself.  I'm perfectly ok with that.  Now we're at the point where hopefully he falls in love and continues to thrive here.

5 minutes ago, shrader said:

He knew exactly what he was doing by leaving Buffalo open as an option.  Personally I think it was mostly about playing with that elite center as opposed to the city/team itself.  I'm perfectly ok with that.  Now we're at the point where hopefully he falls in love and continues to thrive here.

He's pretty well known as a simpler guy who likes a quite night in. Buffalo may be the exact kinda city for him

5 minutes ago, shrader said:

The one thing about Skinner that I've noticed a ton of and I love is that on what seems like most of his goals, he's immediately giving the "great pass" point to whoever set him up.  I'll never get sick of seeing that.

It's a top tier celly in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm still open to trading him, imagine the haul of picks and prospects if he keeps up this scoring pace.   

I still don't know enough about him to speak on his values. Does he value his on ice success both team and individual... Eg, would he be having the same success playing without Eichel on another team? 

Or does he only care about maxing out his contract moving forward next season.

If I'm JBOTs I offer less than market value because there are things outside of dollars that Buffalo can offer that other teams can't.

If he only cares about money, let him go somewhere else, because once he gets it he'll be less of a player. 

47 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I'm still open to trading him, imagine the haul of picks and prospects if he keeps up this scoring pace.   

I still don't know enough about him to speak on his values. Does he value his on ice success both team and individual... Eg, would he be having the same success playing without Eichel on another team? 

If I'm JBOTs I offer less than market value because there are things outside of dollars that Buffalo can offer that other teams can't.

If he only cares about money, let him go somewhere else, because once he gets it he'll be less of a player. 

Well, I think this depends on what you mean by "market value."

If you mean "the contract that 8 other teams would give him" -- ie something like E. Kane's contract -- then I think it would be nuts to offer him less than that based on a belief that playing on Eichel's line and being close to Toronto are so valuable as to make up for the lower dollars.

If you mean "the contract that only one other team would give him" -- I am closer to agreeing with you, because I think there is a limit to how much of your cap you can give a scoring winger.

I will also point out that Skinner is almost certainly looking for "market rate" in the sense of the first proposed definition, and that this does not mean he's only about the Benjamins.  All players want that level of market rate.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

First bolded) I just don't think this is true like it used to be. ROR, EKane, Skinner, Hoffman, Karlsson? The trading team "lost" all those trades.

Second bolded) Like an 8th year

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.