Career - 290 67 79 146 53 32 12 25 4 7 12 1 467 14.3 46.3
2014-2015 ANA 18 2 1 3 1 2 0 1 0 0 1 0 24 8.3 48.78
2014-2015 CBJ 3 1 1 2 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 5 20 39.39
2015-2016 CBJ 81 9 11 20 -9 6 0 0 0 0 1 0 108 8.3 45.66
2016-2017 CBJ 81 6 19 25 10 10 1 1 0 2 3 0 96 6.3 45.31
2017-2018 VGK 82 43 35 78 49 12 8 16 4 5 6 1 184 23.4 48.03
2018-2019 VGK 25 6 12 18 0 2 3 7 0 0 1 0 50 12 46.13

https://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/shot_pct_top_10.html

It's possible to shoot over 20% for long stretches.    You need to consider shot selection.    Skinner is scoring on rebounds, close proximity to the net... he even said it himself that he doesn't have a great shot so he needs to get in close to score.    He can sustain a high shooting % IMO if he keeps playing that way.

...and that may be directly responsible for Jack's lower than usual percentage- he has enough confidence in Jeff's cleanup abilities that he's "passing" it to him off the goalie's pads.  Without Jeff, Jack would probably be driving to the net more often and we'd see a more typical (for him) shooting percentage.

Maybe I'm late to the party, but I thought the word was we couldn't offer Skinner 8 years until after the trade deadline.  These guys are saying it's after January 1.  I was getting concerned that after Jan 1., the Skinner contract would start to become a distraction, but if they can offer the 8 years on Jan 2.?  No problem.  Right.  RIGHT?

45 minutes ago, ... said:

Maybe I'm late to the party, but I thought the word was we couldn't offer Skinner 8 years until after the trade deadline.  These guys are saying it's after January 1.  I was getting concerned that after Jan 1., the Skinner contract would start to become a distraction, but if they can offer the 8 years on Jan 2.?  No problem.  Right.  RIGHT?

That was like a week and half of Sabrespace discussion in 5 minutes.  ?

41 minutes ago, ... said:

They're confusing 2 different components of negotiating contract extensions.  Extensions of 1 year deals can't be negotiated at all until after the calendar flips.

Multiyear deals can be extended anytime in the final league year of the deal.

The max length of most all non-entry level contracts tends to be 7 years.  For players that have been with their current team PRIOR to the most recent trade deadline, they are eligible to get an 8 year deal provided the dealis signed prior to becoming a free agent on tbe next July 1.  January 1 doesn't factorin on the 8 year question.

And Skinner won't have been a Sabre eligible for tge 8th year until after the trade deadline.

2 hours ago, ... said:

I’d like clarity on this as well because LeBrun said its January 1st.

10 hours ago, Hoss said:

I’d like clarity on this as well because LeBrun said its January 1st.

Well, the wording of the CBA is very clear that the 8th year doesn't come into play until after the trade deadline.  So, this being the NHL, yeah, January 1 sounds about right.  SMH.

If the pundits are correct, Good for the Sabres, bad for the English language.

ESPN's hockey coverage has really gone downhill lately but here's a Sabres tidbit in their article: http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/25387527/nhl-takeaways-concerns-bold-predictions-all-31-teams-quarter-season-mark

buf.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true  Buffalo Sabres

Preseason standings point projection: 80.5

Current standings point pace:116

No. 1 takeaway thus far: That the hockey world had to wait far too long for Jeff Skinner to play with an elite center. With all due respect to Victor Rask, Riley Nash, Elias Lindholm and Eric Staal (before he figured out how to be Eric Staal again in Minnesota), playing with Jack Eichel has been revelatory for Skinner, who has 18 goals through 24 games. Yes, Jack has a history of boosting his linemates' shooting percentages. But Skinner went from an 8.7 percent clip to a 22.5 percent clip so far this season. That's incredible.

Biggest concern: There are some underlying metrics that are encouraging, like the fact that this isn't just a ride on the PDO train (the Sabres have a PDO of 100.8, with league average at 100). But they're on the negative side of possession (49.3 Corsi for percentage) and are just a plus-3 in 5-on-5 goal differential. But honestly, the biggest concern is that either Eichel or Skinner goes down with an injury; not only because they have a history of doing so, but because that top line is a such an engine for this team.

Bold prediction: Jeff Skinner's contract situation lingers through the season into the postseason, and the phrase "testing the market" starts to send shivers down Buffalo fans' spines.

37 minutes ago, jsb said:

Bold prediction: Jeff Skinner's contract situation lingers through the season into the postseason, and the phrase "testing the market" starts to send shivers down Buffalo fans' spines.

It's bold, but, I think, unlikely.

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2018 at 7:53 PM, Doohickie said:

I'm going out on a limb and predicting that Bogo will have his best year as a Sabre this year.

Wow, look what I said upthread back in August.  I'm a hockey savant!

On 8/2/2018 at 8:11 PM, Doohickie said:

Skinner definitely =/= Brett Hull, but this trade gives me the same feeling I got when the Stars signed Hull the summer prior to No Goal.  It's definitely a Buyer's Trade for the Sabres.

I still have that feeling.

On 11/27/2018 at 1:02 PM, Taro T said:

Well, the wording of the CBA is very clear that the 8th year doesn't come into play until after the trade deadline.  So, this being the NHL, yeah, January 1 sounds about right.  SMH.

If the pundits are correct, Good for the Sabres, bad for the English language.

I think it might be different for players acquired in the offseason vs players acquired after camp starts.

21 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I think it might be different for players acquired in the offseason vs players acquired after camp starts.

That's possible.

But without seeing a clarifying memo explaining how the league muddles the very clear English defining how a player qualifies for an 8 year contract it's all a guess.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

(It's all warm and squishy ?)

Time to empty it into the toilet and put on a new one, my man.

39 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That's possible.

But without seeing a clarifying memo explaining how the league muddles the very clear English defining how a player qualifies for an 8 year contract it's all a guess.

Like a clarifying memo that came out in March but is only applied in June about skates and creases?

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Time to empty it into the toilet and put on a new one, my man.

Like a clarifying memo that came out in March but is only applied in June about skates and creases?

Sort of.  Would hope though that whatever interpretation they provide, they don't conflate 2 (or more) different scenarios to give the league whatever result they desired.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.