TRADE: Sabres acquire Jeff Skinner

Hoss

8 hours ago, Hoss said:

by george that's beautiful

So with a chart like that, does it mean they took fewer shots from the blue areas?

7 hours ago, SDS said:

Does the fact that he wore the A in Carolina matter to anyone? 

Nope. I'll bet it didn't matter to Minnesota that Pominville wore the C here, either.

23 hours ago, Weave said:

I feel bad for Carolina fans.  It's a {insert obscenity for poopy here} situation for them.

HEY NS!  You'll be glad to know that the hashtags blocking bad words has been replaced by a filter that just deletes them.

Weave, I never figured you old enough to refer to # as hashtag; it's pound or hash! Also, my lawn doesn't like to be walked on.

I'd love if the filter put "smurf" in though, that'd be awesome.

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

So with a chart like that, does it mean they took fewer shots from the blue areas?

Nope. I'll bet it didn't matter to Minnesota that Pominville wore the C here, either.

That's my read; with Skinner on the ice, CAR took far more shots from down low (Red) and the left side of the ice. It also looks like the collective right D on CAR really does not take shots (blue holes on both).

13 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Weave, I never figured you old enough to refer to # as hashtag; it's pound or hash! Also, my lawn doesn't like to be walked on.

That's my read; with Skinner on the ice, CAR took far more shots from down low (Red) and the left side of the ice. It also looks like the collective right D on CAR really does not take shots (blue holes on both).

1.  He's not old enough to refer to it as an octothorpe.

2.  That's how I see the chart too.  Just making sure I'm reading it correctly.

I apologize for not reading the entire thread. For others who are cheating on a Saturday morning, perhaps a recap of the critical issue of re-signing could be addressed. I heard Skinner on WGR last night and I thought his answer to the question of re-signing was concerning. He danced away from it very deftly. Sometimes you get what you pay for, and maybe what Botterill bought was a rental player with only a modest chance of being a Sabre beyond this coming season?

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I apologize for not reading the entire thread. For others who are cheating on a Saturday morning, perhaps a recap of the critical issue of re-signing could be addressed. I heard Skinner on WGR last night and I thought his answer to the question of re-signing was concerning. He danced away from it very deftly. Sometimes you get what you pay for, and maybe what Botterill bought was a rental player with only a modest chance of being a Sabre beyond this coming season?

Basically it works like this. We get to try him out for a year. If he plays well and wants to be here then we can sign him. If he plays well but wants to test free agency, then we trade him for better assets than what we gave up to get him at the trade deadline. 

The only way we don't come out ahead is if he sucks. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

maybe what Botterill bought was a rental player with only a modest chance of being a Sabre beyond this coming season?

I think there is a fair chance of this being the case.

I think Skinner sees a chance to be near home and pad his stats playing with Jack.

I think Botterill fills a huge need in his lineup with a proven player instead of forcing Thompson or Olofsson or Nylander into something they aren’t ready for.

Depending on how the season goes, they may decide the relationship is worth continuing. If not, Skinner can likely be moved at the deadline.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Considering he’s never been to the playoffs, no. 

I don’t think it’s what you’re getting at but I have seen a few people mention that we added a player from a bad team in this thread.

Carolina has been competing for a playoff spot for a while, and the attitude that bad teams = all bad players is questionable. When dealing with teams that haven’t had great success you’ve got to pinpoint the players who are a reason they were competitive and not terrible. I think Skinner is definitely one of those.

• Like (+1) 1

When you break down a NHL team, I think first of foremost, the young core is exciting," Skinner said of a conference call Friday afternoon.  "A lot of good players.”

"I’m excited to get to know him and meet him. He’s one of the top centerman in the game. Anytime you have that on your team, that’s exciting," Skinner added.  "I’m happy to be on his team now rather than play against him.”

"These are guys I haven’t seen much of but what I’ve heard, and some highlights I've seen, I think there’s a bunch of good pieces," he said.

“I enjoyed my time in Carolina. It’s frustrating not reaching a goal and I think everyone involved gets frustrated. When you don’t reach goals, it’s not a good feeling," he said but added, “that’s the beauty of a new year. Every year you have a fresh start. NHL is so tight, so much parity, it’s exciting.”

"I haven’t thought about (contract) at all. Last 24-48 hours have been busy. Honestly I’m just excited to start season. That’s why my focus is.”

https://www.wivb.com/sports/skinner-excited-to-play-with-jack-eichel-young-core-of-sabres/1344966751

On 8/3/2018 at 9:22 AM, Weave said:

I feel bad for Carolina fans.  It's a {insert obscenity for poopy here} situation for them.

HEY NS!  You'll be glad to know that the hashtags blocking bad words has been replaced by a filter that just deletes them.

No Worries, my friend.

Although I am encouraging everyone to insert their own #### in place of the blanks.  For ease of my reading, you know?

3 hours ago, MattPie said:

You might be the only one on here that doesn't think I'm a grumpy old man.

Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier but

Kane Career 574gm 186g 168a 354 pts

Skinner Career 579gm 204g 175a 379pts (also 1 year younger)

Traded Kane for 1st in 2019, O'Regan, 4th in 2019

Gave up for Skinner 2nd in 2019, Cliff Pu, 3rd in 2020 & 6th in 2020

The trades are remarkably similar.  SJ's re-signing Kane saved the Kane trade from being a lesser haul then we gave up for Skinner.  However we also most take into account that Kane was on an expiring contract and we get a Skinner for a year.

Comparing the trades Pu is a better prospect then O'Regan.  O'Regan is 24 and unlikely to make the Sabres roster.  Pu is only 20 and looks to have an NHL future.  According to the draft pick chart I use, if all the picks in the trades we in 2019 we got approx 597.5 pts worth of draft picks and gave up around 631.5.  However, with two of the picks being 2020 and hopefully the Sabres improving, you could see the 2020 picks sliding 20% in value, decreasing what we gave up to about 575 pts.  Still, I'd rather have the 2019 1st (although it's still possible that pick slides to 2020 if SJ misses the playoffs and elects to move that pick to 2020).

Overall, I'm not as annoyed at the lack of value for Kane.  I think this trade proves that Jbot probably got close to what he should have gotten for Kane.  Net of the two trades I think we are actually better off.  I happen to like Skinner over Kane and I'd rather have any 1st rd pick over a mid tier 2nd rd pick.  O'Regan actually gives the Amerks a better chance to win this year in Roch then Pu, and Pu was an excess forward prospect when you include just our similar age forwards prospects in Nylander, Asplund, Thompson, Davidsson, and Mittelstadt.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

20 hours ago, Hoss said:

I’m curious if JB has ever talked to Carolina about Justin Faulk or has any interest. If so, how much more would it have taken to turn this deal into Faulk and Skinner?

I think Faulk has more value than this but they also didn’t get good value for Skinner, so maybe something like McCabe, Pu, a 1st, 2nd and 6th could’ve made it happen?

We won't know until the trade for him is complete.  ?

8 hours ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Heard some rumors on gr that he was locker room problem in Carolina. Anyone got info on that?

As in, he wasn't happy with the coaching staff because they didn't play him enough because they didn't like his defense.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Eleven said:

Yep.  Fewer shots per 60 minutes than the league-wide 5v5 average according to the heatmap.

What I really like about the map is that not only are more shots being attempted from critical scoring areas in total, there's also an increase in shot attempts from the opposite wing.  It may just be a correlation that Skinner plays with better-than-average RWs, or it could be that he makes his linemates better.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.