TRADE: Sabres acquire Jeff Skinner

Hoss

For those complaining about trading away nothing for Jeff Skinner

There are 11 NHL forwards who have produced four 20 even strength goal seasons in the past 5 years: Jamie Benn, Sidney Crosby, Patrick Kane, Nikita Kucherov, Brad Marchand, Alex Ovechkin, Max Pacioretty, Tyler Seguin, Vladimir Tarasenko, John Tavares... And Jeff Skinner.

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

It makes me wonder what this team would look like if we had Botterill at the helm in place of ExGMTM.

We’d already be a playoff team.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

There are 11 NHL forwards who have produced four 20 even strength goal seasons in the past 5 years: Jamie Benn, Sidney Crosby, Patrick Kane, Nikita Kucherov, Brad Marchand, Alex Ovechkin, Max Pacioretty, Tyler Seguin, Vladimir Tarasenko, John Tavares... And Jeff Skinner.

Where is our good friend Evander Kane?

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sexy.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jbot gave up our 7/8 best forward prospect and not elite draft picks.

I've been thinking about where Pu falls in the Sabres' forward prospect rankings.  I think it's fair to put him in a different category from Casey, who is pretty much a lock to be in the NHL this year, and perhaps from Thompson, who has 41 NHL games under his belt.

If we just consider forward prospects that have had little to no NHL time, we have:

Asplund

Nylander

Davidsson

Pu

Olofsson

Ogilvie

Malone

CJ Smith

YMMV, of course, but I could see Carolina preferring to take a Pu over anyone else in that grouping. 

27 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Believe it or not, but yes. I have noticed that every player we've acquired so far has had a huge emphasis on even strength play. Botteril constantly brings this up too

He sure did in the presser last night.  I liked in particular his comment to the effect that goal totals fluctuate, but Skinner consistently creates a lot of chances at ES.

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Dude.

I like Buffalo.

I don't think it's crazy or for that matter remarkable to say that it's unusual for a young pro athlete in his 20s to prefer Buffalo over LA.

I certainly meant no offense.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

By definition a rental is someone you acquire at or near the trade deadline, that you may or may not re-sign, and want the player for a playoff run. 

I disagree, a rental doesnt have to be at the deadline. It's a deal made for a player on an expiring contract that is made with the intent of keeping that player short term for a specific reason. Usually it's made with no intenions of keeping that player any longer then their contract. In most cases it's a deadline deal that's made with the intent of getting extra help for the playoffs. It can also be to bring in someone to mentor a young player or group, or to replace someone injured and out for a long period of time or season 

In this case it's hard to tell because we have no clue what the teams intentions are with him, and if they have plans to extend him or use until the deadline and then sell him again for assets.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think a full year is short term. 

Yep - this year, and the potential and expectation to win during it, has tangible value, especially to Jack, Sam, Dahlin, and Casey. 

If Skinner walks for nothing, and he won't, he'll either sign or we'll trade him, it was still worth it for that reason. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Yep - this year, and the potential and expectation to win during it, has tangible value, especially to Jack, Sam, Dahlin, and Casey. 

If Skinner walks for nothing, and he won't, he'll either sign or we'll trade him, it was still worth it for that reason. 

100%

I wonder the teams intentions with him now. Was he someone they went after because they believe he can be part of their team going forward, or was he brought in because the Canes approached them and they figured they can upgrade the forwards with a scorer for cheap and then recoup some of that at the deadline by moving him again? IIRC, since he waived his NMC to come to Buffalo, it's no longer there and the Sabres can move him again to wherever they want.

Edited by apuszczalowski

14 hours ago, Thorny said:

Do you think it's more likely the Sabres do or do not extend Skinner?

Depends what type of deal he's looking for.  If he is ok with a front loaded 3-4 year deal, I think it happens. 

Botterill's moves since the trade deadline have not only made the team better on the ice, but he has given himself a lot of cap flexibility in the out years.  I don't think he is looking to give up that flexibilty on a longer-term Skinner contract.  It also may depend on what Sams contract is going to look like. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think a full year is short term. 

Great trade, love what Botterill did here. We have legitimate Left Wings on the team now. 

One year is a "try before you buy" situation.  Not a short-term rental at the deadline, but not a hard commitment either (but the possibility of making it more permanent).  I kind of like it for Skinner, assuming that JBot is competent enough to manage the situation to the Sabres' advantage.

32 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Low risk, high reward.

I'm sure all these scenarios have been thought through by JBot and Skinner's agent, and they've probably already communicated what they're each willing to do.  JBot probably had a good idea before he pulled the trigger.  We of course don't have a clue but I expect we'll see it play out in the coming weeks/months.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

By definition a rental is someone you acquire at or near the trade deadline, that you may or may not re-sign, and want the player for a playoff run. 

Who says?

A big part of what makes this trade such a savvy move is because it has numerous avenues under which it can achieve success. In a real way, Botterill is shifting the very terms for what a rental in the NHL is, which teams use them, and how. Traditionally your definition of rental is certainly accurate, but Botterill is demonstrating that rentals can represent something else, as well.

To Weave's point - acquiring a rental, at the cost of certain assets, can make sense even for a 31st place team (depending on the asset cost, of course) if it can provide the benefit of helping a young core take that next step.

A rental also may make sense in the context of buying low on an asset (the fact we, by nearly all accounts, were able to buy "low" on a player of Skinner's caliber is a coup) with the intention of inflating the value of said asset (30+ next to Jack?) and then dealing that asset for a greater return (1st round pick?) than originally paid. Certainly within the realm of possibility. 

Finally, getting Skinner in here with only one year remaining gives the Sabres an un-handcuffed trial run whereby Skinner can certainly be re-signed should both team and player find that to be a suitable outcome. They can watch him play and see how he fits in before they are actually committed to anything.

I have no problem calling it a rental, within a newer, broader definition.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I wonder the teams intentions with him now. Was he someone they went after because they believe he can be part of their team going forward, or was he brought in because the Canes approached them and they figured they can upgrade the forwards with a scorer for cheap and then recoup some of that at the deadline by moving him again? IIRC, since he waived his NMC to come to Buffalo, it's no longer there and the Sabres can move him again to wherever they want.

I'm interested in knowing the status of his NMC as well. It should be completely gone at this point. I hope Pugsley didn't promise to keep it in place. Skinner may very well have made that a condition in order to agree to waive it in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Alkoholist said:

I'm interested in knowing the status of his NMC as well. It should be completely gone at this point. I hope Pugsley didn't promise to keep it in place. Skinner may very well have made that a condition in order to agree to waive it in the first place.

Spotrac shows his NMC has been removed.

5 minutes ago, Cheektorado said:

Spotrac shows his NMC has been removed.

Sweet. I hope they're accurate. That alone makes this a great deal because even if Skinner is a total disappointment we should be able to move him at the TDL for close to what we paid for him if not more.

Good move, Pugsley.

6 minutes ago, Alkoholist said:

Sweet. I hope they're accurate. That alone makes this a great deal because even if Skinner is a total disappointment we should be able to move him at the TDL for close to what we paid for him if not more.

Good move, Pugsley.

Good point.  To me it shows he may have a new contract in mind vs. taking a chance to get moved to a team he doesn't want to play for.

14 minutes ago, Alkoholist said:

Good move, Pugsley.

Isn't the rule that if a player waives it once, the team to which he is traded is NOT saddled with the NMC?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.