TRADE: Sabres acquire Jeff Skinner

Hoss

I've been on the Skinner bandwagon since there was talk he could be moved two years ago. I think this was a great trade, assuming we re-sign him. It definitely makes up for losing ROR. In terms of Pu he was great two seasons ago but his production fell off last year and the other draft picks pfft usually any pick in a draft after the top 3-5 is a question mark so don't think we gave up too much despite so many picks. 

I had to chime in given my staunch Skinner defense here in the past. 

He's got the best edges of any NHL player not named McDavid or maybe Cam Fowler. 

He brings us what Kane did - goal scoring production with an incomplete game, though it's incomplete in different ways. 

The team is not in a position to be selling all its prospects for veteran players, but it's in a position where it absolutely HAD to sell SOME futures for this immediate season. 

Skinner scored 37 goals playing with Jordan Staal two years ago. Not sure what happened last year. 

He's had 4-5 straight years of good health since the concussion issues. 

He also shares the name of my all-time favorite television character. 

Can't wait to see him cashing in on Eich's dishes (of steamed hams). 

Sick trade, Jason. I'm more likely to start making lineups now, I had a feeling something was going to fall. 

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Well shut the front door.

Damn.  This is a MOVE.

Innit though?  I'm almost giddy at the thought that we moved lottery tickets for a really good player that will be due for a contract.  It's like the movie Freaky Friday

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I had to chime in given my staunch Skinner defense here in the past. 

He's got the best edges of any NHL player not named McDavid or maybe Cam Fowler. 

He brings us what Kane did - goal scoring production with an incomplete game, though it's incomplete in different ways. 

The team is not in a position to be selling all its prospects for veteran players, but it's in a position where it absolutely HAD to sell SOME futures for this immediate season. 

Skinner scored 37 goals playing with Jordan Staal two years ago. Not sure what happened last year. 

He's had 4-5 straight years of good health since the concussion issues. 

He also shares the name of my all-time favorite television character. 

Can't wait to see him cashing in on Eich's dishes (of steamed hams). 

Sick trade, Jason. I'm more likely to start making lineups now, I had a feeling something was going to fall. 

Seymour, you steam a good ham.

This deal made with nary an "insider" rumour lately also puts a nice little bow on your earlier argument.

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Weave said:

Wasn't Buffalo rumored to be in on Skinner leading up to the draft though?  I seem to recall that was the case.  It seems this one needed time in the slow cooker.

That's true, that had slipped my mind. I had to add "lately" to the post. 

Just now, Weave said:

Wasn't Buffalo rumored to be in on Skinner leading up to the draft though?  I seem to recall that was the case.  It seems this one needed time in the slow cooker.

We definitely were talking to Carolina about Skinner. This certainly wasn't the most surprising move, though nobody had any idea it was coming today

• Like (+1) 1

This deal is a win win for the Sabres. If he performs well & we re-sign him, BOOM we have a speedy top 6 winger locked in with our core. If he performs well & we don't re-sign him, BOOM his higher scoring totals benefiting from being on Jacks line should give us a nice asset come the trade deadline.

I like it!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MillerVaive said:

This deal is a win win for the Sabres. If he performs well & we re-sign him, BOOM we have a speedy top 6 winger locked in with our core. If he performs well & we don't re-sign him, BOOM his higher scoring totals benefiting from being on Jacks line should give us a nice asset come the trade deadline.

I like it!

Yup. Carolina screwed up and it pleases me.

I find it hard to believe that they don't have a deal with him already. If he waived his NMC, that makes me believe it won't be long before they announce something. 

Pu is an up and comer but they really didn't give up much as long as he's not a rental. If I read right he's 6th in 5v5 goals in the last few years and there's some big names in that mix. Berglund and Sobotka are looking better and better as the 3rd and 4th line centers.

Edited by jsb

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.