3. Casey Mittelstadt, C
  4. Rasmus Ristolainen, D
  5. Sam Reinhart, RW
  6. Alexander Nylander, LW
  7. Tage Thompson, RW
  8. Brendan Guhle, D
  9. Rasmus Asplund, C
  10. Marcus Davidsson, C

Eichel is one of the best young players in the game. He’s a franchise center type of talent, with the speed, skills, playmaking and shot to be a consistent impact player. Ristolainen is often the butt of many jokes. He’s overused in Buffalo, he’s not a No. 1 defenseman – as he’s been deployed – but I still do think he’s a very good two/three type of defender on a good team. Reinhart is a very smart player who may not blow you away with speed and skill but makes plays. He seemed to settle into a role last season and got a lot of work done on the power play. Thompson has incredible skills for a guy his size and a big shot as well. He needs to compete harder and play with more pace to have success in the NHL, but he has a ton of upside.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Harsh words for Bailey:  "It's hard for me to still list Bailey.  I don't think his hockey sense is good enough, but he has size, speed and skill so he's at the very least a long-shot still."

And Baptiste didn't even make Pronman's list.

Pronman's list of prospects, in order and by category:

"Special":  Dahlin

"Elite":  Mittelstadt

"Legit":  Nylander, Guhle

"Have a Chance":  Asplund, Davidsson, Laaksonen, Ullmark, Olofsson, Samuelsson, Pilut, Luukkonen, O'Regan, Smith, Bryson

"Depth Notes":  Pekar, Borgen, Fitzgerald, Oglevie, Bailey.

Note that most teams do not have a "special" player in his ranking system, and I do not recall seeing a team with more than one listed as "elite."

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

There was no other team with a special prospect listed. 

Which, if as someone upthread noted is correct that if a guy has over 25 games in the show under his belt he doesn't qualify for the list, that isn't particularly surprising as anybody from prior years that would otherwise qualify as "special" would nearly assuredly already be in the NHL providing he's truly "special".

The only other guy from this year's class that would even garner consideration for that designation would be Svechnikov, right?

From this years draft class? Yes. Elias Pettersson would be the other player outside the NHL that could also be close to that designation. Special is Generational. There simply isn't anyone who just turned 18 that is in Dahlin's league. There certainly isn't a defender outside the NHL in Dahlin's league. 

I think Pronman over values offensive potential on defensemen.  While I agree with his comments on Samuelsson, I think he way under values Borgens potential as an NHL player.  Teams need stay at home D who clear the front of the net, get the puck out and be defensively aware especially when paired with players like Risto and Dahlin who have the green light to jump into the play.  Borgen and Samuelsson fit this role.  He talks about Borgen’s phyiscal play, good skating, decent ability to get the puck out, character and shutdown skills,  but rates him 17th behind O’Regan who will likely never play for the Sabres.  His biggest gripe about Borgen is that he won’t play on the PP in the NHL. So what.  That isn’t his job.  He is mich more likely to have a long NHL career then guys like Bryson, Pekar, O’Regan and Smith who are all ranked ahead of him.

Our 23-and-under guys already in the NHL, or at least “have a chance” fill out a full roster.

Nylander Eichel Reinhart

Olofsson Mittelstadt Thompson

Davidsson Asplund Baptiste

Smith O’Regan

Dahlin Ristolainen

Guhle Laksonnen

Pilut Samuelsson

Bryson

Ullmark

Lukkonen

According to Pronman, that’s not the case with many teams.

Edited by dudacek

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

From this years draft class? Yes. Elias Pettersson would be the other player outside the NHL that could also be close to that designation. Special is Generational. There simply isn't anyone who just turned 18 that is in Dahlin's league. There certainly isn't a defender outside the NHL in Dahlin's league. 

What did Pronman have Pettersson listed as, Elite?

Edit: Gotta be, he couldn't just be under the "legit" category. 

Edited by Thorny

41 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Quinn Hughes is special IMO.

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I agree but Elias Pettersson just owned the SHL at age 19. That's pretty special too. 24g, 56pts, in 44 games. 

Didn't you just say you thought no one else came close to that tier designation from this draft?

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting that guys like Krut and other D in system were not mentioned and agree on Pronman undervaluing D eval of Borgen.   D and goalie are hard to evaluate because their development curve can be so much longer.  Even Ghule keeps improving but hard to tell despite is ability to skate.  His ice awareness should come with experience and confidence as he plays at higher level

Edited by North Buffalo

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Our 23-and-under guys already in the NHL, or at least “have a chance” fill out a full roster.

Nylander Eichel Reinhart

Olofsson Mittelstadt Thompson

Davidsson Asplund Baptiste

Smith O’Regan

Dahlin Ristolainen

Guhle Laksonnen

Pilut Samuelsson

Bryson

Ullmark

Lukkonen

According to Pronman, that’s not the case with many teams.

I actually like this roster....can we start the season with it??

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

IMO Dahlin is the only thing stopping Pettersson from being the best prospect not in the NHL right this second by a fair margin.

In that you have Dahlin as your number one prospect? Or in Dahlin provides a close second to Pettersson where there otherwise would not be?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.