NHL farm system rankings: Best, worst

In The Buff

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Didn't you just say you thought no one else came close to that tier designation from this draft?

I was not saying it as a designation. Special as a designation is terrible wording IMPO. Quinn Hughes is special but Dahlin is Special Elite or Generational or whatever you want to call it. I will rarely use pronmans vernacular when discussing players. Special means Generational to him from what I can gather. I would consider Elite Prospects, special players. Just a difference of wording. I realize now that by saying special I was confusing the conversation. My apologies. 

To answer the question, Quinn Hughes is not in the same tier as Dahlin and neither is Elias Pettersson. Pettersson is 1.5 years (17 months) older than Dahlin which is great for him but one of the reasons he will probably have more immediate NHL success than Rasmus. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

And Bailey has played more than 25 games. The criteria seems to be pretty loose. 

His criteria was spelled out in the 1st article.  He considers players up to 27 years old, but eliminates players with 50 or more games of NHL experience or 25 games in any one season.

I age them out as prospects over 23 except goalies.  So does Kris Baker.

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

His criteria was spelled out in the 1st article.  He considers players up to 27 years old, but eliminates players with 50 or more games of NHL experience or 25 games in any one season.

I age them out as prospects over 23 except goalies.  So does Kris Baker.

Yes, but Bailey played 32 games in 16-17. 

And he's played 52 total. 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But over 25 last year.

Ya, but, Bailey - did the same and look at him now, enjoying the fruits of being included in this prestigious, meticulous list. 

As Frodo would say - we're going in circles. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I agree but Elias Pettersson just owned the SHL at age 19. That's pretty special too. 24g, 56pts, in 44 games. 

I'll be honest, I don't know much about Pettersson, and he didn't really jump at at me in the WJC.   But no reason they can't both be special.     

I wonder how Kotkoniemi will do in the NHL. There are some concerns about his skating. If there is one thing I no longer tolerate in my 1st round guys it is being bad at skating. If you can't get to the puck in time, IDC about the rest of your skills. It's the Law of Grigorenko 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I wonder how Kotkoniemi will do in the NHL. There are some concerns about his skating. If there is one thing I no longer tolerate in my 1st round guys it is being bad at skating. If you can't get to the puck in time, IDC about the rest of your skills. It's the Law of Grigorenko 

So you wouldn’t have drafted Reinhart?

On 8/30/2018 at 11:20 AM, LGR4GM said:

I was not saying it as a designation. Special as a designation is terrible wording IMPO. Quinn Hughes is special but Dahlin is Special Elite or Generational or whatever you want to call it. I will rarely use pronmans vernacular when discussing players. Special means Generational to him from what I can gather. I would consider Elite Prospects, special players. Just a difference of wording. I realize now that by saying special I was confusing the conversation. My apologies. 

To answer the question, Quinn Hughes is not in the same tier as Dahlin and neither is Elias Pettersson. Pettersson is 1.5 years (17 months) older than Dahlin which is great for him but one of the reasons he will probably have more immediate NHL success than Rasmus. 

I would put Pettersson with the class just below Dahlin though.  He's an elite talent, in the same mold of Mittelstadt, though a little on the "needs" to bulk up fast to play in the NHL.  But, the hands the vision and the speed are there for Pettersson.  

On 8/30/2018 at 5:51 AM, LGR4GM said:

There it is. Samuelsson, has a chance. It is nice when a professional guy confirms your thoughts between 2 prospects. 

Samuelsson has a great chance.  I think he can easily be at least a healthy Bogosian, who skates and brings his body into the play.  He could be the "Bogosian" we had hoped we were getting in 2014 when we made that trade. 

On 9/1/2018 at 2:43 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

No, but if you say you aren’t draft non fast players then you must expect the question to be asked.

Except I used a qualifier. "No longer tolerate" as in at one point I would tolerate it. In 2014 I would have tolerated it and did. I think my final rankings put Reinhart above Bennett who was the only 1 of the top 3 forwards who could be considered fast at the time. In 2016 I started to reevaluate how I viewed players and prospects in particular. This had to do with the failure of Grigorneko and the struggles of Reinhart and to a lesser extent Strome.  I saw too many things with prospects that correlated bad or questionable skating to mediocre or no ability at the NHL due to the speed of the game. Now when reviewing players skating is higher on my list. For example Cole Fonstad in the last draft. Cole was drafted in the 5th round. He was a player I would have been happy to see the Sabres take because he skates really well and produced at the WHL level. For a 5th round pick, why not. 

On 9/1/2018 at 1:50 PM, Taro T said:

You didn't honestly expect any other answer, did you?

I honestly read this response saw it was Taro and no, did not expect any other response. 

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.