Training camp battle: top six wingers

dudacek

Top six wingers  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you expect to be the wingers on the first two lines in the early weeks of this season?

• Justin Bailey
    • Nick Baptiste
    • Patrik Berglund
    • Alex Nylander
    • Kyle Okposo
    • Victor Olofsson
    • Jason Pominville
    • Sam Reinhart
    • Evan Rodrigues
    • Connor Sheary
    • CJ Smith
    • Tage Thompson
  2. 2. Who do you want to emerge by the end of the year as the wingers on the top two lines?

• Justin Bailey
    • Nick Baptiste
    • Patrik Berglund
    • Alex Nylander
    • Kyle Okposo
    • Victor Olofsson
    • Jason Pominville
    • Sam Reinhart
    • Evan Rodrigues
    • Connor Sheary
    • CJ Smith
    • Tage Thompson

One thing Botterill appears to have done a decent job of this summer is setting up competition for a number of different roles on the team.

One of the most obvious examples is the open audition for wing spots in the top six. Veterans Kyle Okposo and Jason Pominville mostly played there last year, but are vulnerable to challenge. Sam Reinhart and Evan Rodrigues might play wing, or they might play centre. Veterans Patrik Berglund and Connor Sheary were brought in. Thompson, Olafsson, Nylander are prospects with scoring potential.

Who will be flanking Eichel and Mittlestadt/Reinhart on the first two lines?

Edited by dudacek

I only voted for 5 in both polls ... same guys in each poll.

Did I do it wrong, or is the roster that poopy?  

EDIT:

I'm an idiot ... I did it wrong.  Top 2 line wingers = 4 guys.

Oh well, I leave the post and votes as is as a reminder to you all of my idiocy.

Edited by N S
I AM AN IDIOT ...

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Do I recall correctly that Berglund plays center as well?

He does.

2 minutes ago, N S said:

I only voted for 5 in both polls ... same guys in each poll.

Did I do it wrong, or is the roster that poopy?  

Ideally you pick four for the four available top six wing spots, but it’s up to you.

Four things keep tripping me up: Botterill’s hints about Reinhart playing centre, the reports Thompson has been promised a shot, their faith in Mittelstadt and their plans for Berglund. Are they going to run two offensive lines and two defensive lines, or three balanced lines and an energy line?

Sheary Eichel Thompson/Pominville

Reinhart Mittelstadt Okposo

Rodrigues Berglund Sobotka

Wilson Girgensons Larsson Baptiste

Berglund Eichel Thompson

Sheary Reinhart Baptiste/Bailey

Rodrigues Mittelstadt Okposo

Girgensons Larsson Sobotka Wilson

Edited by dudacek

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Four things keep tripping me up: Botterill’s hints about Reinhart playing centre, the reports Thompson has been promised a shot, their faith in Mittelstadt and their plans for Berglund. Are they going to run two offensive lines and two defensive lines, or three balanced lines and an energy line?

Berglund Eichel Thompson

Sheary Reinhart Baptiste/Bailey

Rodrigues Mittelstadt Okposo

Girgensons Larsson Sobotka Wilson

Beglund is not a top line player IMO. 

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Beglund is not a top line player IMO. 

Not at all. At best he can fill a Hecht role.

Thing is, we only have two top line players, maybe three if Okposo rebounds.

Bottom six is much improved, but nobody is a lock to replace O’Reilly and Kane up top.

13 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I was thinking that Berglund was all but penciled in as the underwhelming 2C.

I mean - there's no way Mittelstadt gets that responsibility. Is there?

Now that he can do a pullup, I think he's got that 2C spot.

I'd love to see Nylander on the top 2 lines. Potential-wise i think he could be a good playmaker, but its hard to vote for him because he hasnt exactly shown us he can handle being a winger on the top 2 lines, so I didn't. His AHL performance has been less than desired. The kid is still young tho & adjusting... for some players it just takes longer.

There are to many choices. 

Baring injury Eichel is the only forward with a definite slot. 1st line center.  

Reinhart, Sheary, Mittelstadt, Erod, Girgensons, Larsson, Vodka, Berglund and Thompson can all play more then one position.  

Now add in vets Wilson, Pommers and Okposo who I can make a reasonable argument should be on a variety of different lines from top 6 to the bench, and you have a huge pile of spaghetti to sort out in camp.

Add cap considerations and waiver status to the mix and you have even more layers to sort.  Bailey and Baptiste must clear waivers to go down, while Thompson, Smith and O’Regan do not. 

Also we really have no idea how Phil likes to construct his lines.  I’ve been a fan of Ruff’s construction of a physical player with a scorer and a playmaker.  Does Phil want do this as well?  No idea.  

If I had to guess, Sheary, Erod, Okposo and Sam are the top 6 wingers to start the season, but this is written in very light pencil.  I can see both Vodka and Thompson earning jobs there as well.  Vodka’s FO ability, 2 way play and veteran presence might be a nice balance with Jack who sucks in the FO circle and needs more work defensively.  Thompson adds size and a scorers ability.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

19 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I was thinking that Berglidnd was all but penciled in as the underwhelming 2C.

I mean - there's no way Mittelstadt gets that responsibility. Is there?

Depends how you're defining 2C.  If you're going by ice time & difficulty of matchups, he'll be the 3C.  If you're going by which line is expected to score the 2nd most ES goals, he'll be the 2C.

Still unhappy w/ the O'Reilly trade because the Sabres had an ideal 2C that could slide to 1LW (or 2LW) when Casey grew into the 2C role.

For '19-'20, like what we're seeing.  Really think the '18-'19 version will be good for 84 points & another 8th overall pick unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Now that he can do a pullup, I think he's got that 2C spot.

I believe he needs to do 3 push-ups, in a row, as well to be on the 2nd line.

And I mean deep, nose touching the ground push-ups. Not fake ones.  

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Predicted top 2 lines starting the season:

Sheary - Eichel - Berglund

ERod - Mittelstadt - Reino

My hoped-for top 2 lines by New Year's:

Sheary - Eichel - Thompson

ERod - Mittelstadt - Reino

So Berglund, a C/LW is going to play right wing. On the top line. After scoring a whopping 26pts last year while Kyle Okposo is doing what? 

Okposo and Reinhart are the top 2 line RW to start the year, unless Thompson comes into camp and blows them away. The left side is where the major questions are. 

1 hour ago, Sakman said:

I believe he needs to do 3 push-ups, in a row, as well to be on the 2nd line.

And I mean deep, nose touching the ground push-ups. Not fake ones.  

He can't do push ups like that because his dick keeps his arms from touching the floor.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Depends how you're defining 2C.  If you're going by ice time & difficulty of matchups, he'll be the 3C.  If you're going by which line is expected to score the 2nd most ES goals, he'll be the 2C.

Ah, fair. Okay. Situationally driven, then?

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Ah, fair. Okay. Situationally driven, then?

To an extent.  I'm expecting him to likely center Rodrigues & Reinhart but see that line primarily play against the other team's 2nd scoring line.  I still expect Berglund centering the 3rd/checking line as I consider Larsson more of a 4C & don't see anybody else grabbing the 3C role.  Probably not Berglund's best usage, but they have to make something work overall.

So Berglund &/or Eichel will match up w/ the other team's top line & Mittelstadt will get easier matchups.  Hopefully, he's ready for that, because if he isn't either Reinhart will have to play C & for the 1st time at this level not look bad doing so or someone else will have to surprise in that role.  And that's just to finish mid-80's.  Unless several guys have career years, this will be a long season.

I’m surprised that less than half of you want Okposo in the top six at season’s end.

Even with one of the worst seasons of his career, he put up nearly as many points as Reinhart and Sheary have in their best, and no one else on the team has shown his upside.

There are 30 million reasons left to want him as a legitimate top six winger for five more years.

Edited by dudacek

Neat discussion topic. Nice work Dudacek

I said I expect to see Berglund, Okposo, Sheary and Reinhart, I know Berglund is primarily a center but does play some wing, I thought they may want a veteran presence in the top 2 and he is good to take a FO when the top center is thrown out.   

I said I would like to see Baptiste, Reinhart, Sheary, Thompson. I think it was GA that pointed out the Ruff model of a bigger body winger on each line, I like that idea in top 2 lines to hopefully create space for the skilled players. 

However after voting I may have changed my mind and kept Okposo in the top 4 assuming he returns to pre-injury form and Sam gets moved out assuming he does take to playing center like a duck to water.      

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.