2019-20 line up

sweetlou

2018-19 will still be a growing year with lots on new faces in lineup.  There will be improvements made but I believe that 19-20 will be the year the Sabres make it back to the playoffs.

Sheary- Eichel- Reinhart

Rodrigues- Mittelstadt- Okposo

Olofsson- Berglund- Pu

Wilson- Thompson- Baptiste

Scandella- Dahlin

McCabe- Risto

Pilut- Bogo

Ullmark

Hutton

IF Thompson is not on 1 of the top 2 lines NEXT year it had better come out that O'Reilly drinks baby blood or else that was the worst Sabres trade ever.  (Even worse than picking up Richard or Cloutier or losing Peca or Hasek or grabbing Fuhr when they already had Dom.)

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

IF Thompson is not on 1 of the top 2 lines NEXT year it had better come out that O'Reilly drinks baby blood or else that was the worst Sabres trade ever.  (Even worse than picking up Richard or Cloutier or losing Peca or Hasek or grabbing Fuhr when they already had Dom.)

I know I fall into the trap of thinking “third line” is a slur but if he turns into damn good third liner for a long time then I’d be happy with the trade.

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I know I fall into the trap of thinking “third line” is a slur but if he turns into damn good third liner for a long time then I’d be happy with the trade.

With all due respect, no.  If they end up w/ a 3rd liner @ the end of the day, they lost the trade.  They gave up the best faceoff man in the league & a true #2 C.  (Whether you're looking for him to eat hard minutes or anchor the 2nd scoring line, he can do that.  It's in his wheel house.)

Plus he lets Mittelstadt be the '05-'06 Roy.

15 hours ago, sweetlou said:

2018-19 will still be a growing year with lots on new faces in lineup.  There will be improvements made but I believe that 19-20 will be the year the Sabres make it back to the playoffs.

Sheary- Eichel- Reinhart

Rodrigues- Mittelstadt- Okposo

Olofsson- Berglund- Pu

Wilson- Thompson- Baptiste

Scandella- Dahlin

McCabe- Risto

Pilut- Bogo

Ullmark

Hutton

I think you'll see more change then this.  If Guhle and/or Pilut have strong seasons, you could easily see McCabe and maybe Baloo traded at the next trade deadline.  They are on the last year of their deals and while both are RFA with Arbitration rights, I can see Jbot moving on from both (certainly Baloo).  

I also think guys like Pu and Asplund will get two years in the AHL before getting a legit shot at the NHL.  

LW, just like this year will be a huge battle next season, Olofsson and Smith could easily win jobs.  Nylander also.  I also think Thompson is a NHL winger not center.  

Nylander Eichel Reinhart

Sheary Mittelstadt Thompson

Olofsson Vodka Okposo

Smith Berglund Baptiste

52 minutes ago, Taro T said:

With all due respect, no.  If they end up w/ a 3rd liner @ the end of the day, they lost the trade.  They gave up the best faceoff man in the league & a true #2 C.  (Whether you're looking for him to eat hard minutes or anchor the 2nd scoring line, he can do that.  It's in his wheel house.)

To be honest i don't think we can fully evaluate this trade until the draft picks we acquired have been selected & we know who they are as players. Obviously thats years away but if one of those players down the road turns into the next O'Reilly then that'll change the overall balance of this trade for sure. I also think our team was such crap last year that getting 2 bonafide NHL caliber players back, in addition to Tage was worth it, even if we didn't get a player back as valued as ROR. We were the last placed team for a reason, & that was with ROR. I hear what you're saying but bigger picture, i do believe we've improved as a team with this trade.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Plus he lets Mittelstadt be the '05-'06 Roy.

It’s almost as if they didn’t acquire just TT2.0... also “best faceoff man in the league” is my favorite sort of compliment I’ve ever heard.

Edited by Hoss

As of now this looks about right, however there will be for sure more changes coming.  I do truly believe that Botterill is the right guy for the front office going forward.  He's going to get us out of the last few of TMGM's mistakes and provide us a faster more hockey sense savvy team. 

18 hours ago, IrwinNelson said:

I don’t remember so many people caring about losing a top 5 face-off man when we traded Ott. 

Or Gaustad.

Hello everyone....newbie here. I've been behind the scenes reading allot of posts and decided to take the risk of commenting (dip the toes in the pool so to speak).

Personally I think we'll be alright without O'Reilly and here's why...we depended on him too much. We had him @ 60%FOW and Larsson @ 54.5%FOW....now we have lost Ryan but added Berglund @ 55.1% and Sobotka @ 54.3 giving us 3 FO guys. Combined points Berg/Sobotka are close to O'Reilly so anything Tage brings is a plus (and then the draft picks eventually) so I can't see how we could lose this trade. We haven't done anything with Ryan here except go backwards (and I'm not in anyway blaming that on him)and his year end comments were taken by most more like a glass of hemlock instead of Kool-aid.

The place I see that we might miss a beat is on the PP where Berg/Sobotka won't be helping out, however Tage might come in handy at least on the 2nd unit (big body in front) and Dahlin will certainly help.

I have to agree with those who believe that we have added depth and we may have also added a different kind of leadership. I liked O'Reilly and wish him the best but, with all the moves St Louis made if he doesn't help push them to another level then we may already know who won this trade and not have to wait for the picks to find out.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again
typo

12 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Or Gaustad.

Hello everyone....newbie here. I've been behind the scenes reading allot of posts and decided to take the risk of commenting (dip the toes in the pool so to speak).

Personally I think we'll be alright without O'Reilly and here's why...we depended on him too much. We had him @ 60%FOW and Larsson @ 54.5%FOW....now we have lost Ryan but added Berglund @ 55.1% and Sobotka @ 54.3 giving us 3 FO guys. Combined points Berg/Sobotka are close to O'Reilly so anything Tage brings is a plus (and then the draft picks eventually) so I can't see how we could lose this trade. We haven't done anything with Ryan here except go backwards (and I'm not in anyway blaming that on him)and his tear end comments were taken by most more like a glass of hemlock instead of Kool-aid.

The place I see that we might miss a beat is on the PP where Berg/Sobotka won't be helping out, however Tage might come in handy at least on the 2nd unit (big body in front) and Dahlin will certainly help.

I have to agree with those who believe that we have added depth and we may have also added a different kind of leadership. I liked O'Reilly and wish him the best but, with all the moves St Louis made if he doesn't help push them to another level then we may already know who won this trade and not have to wait for the picks to find out.

Welcome!!

Very good effort on your first post, so keep them coming.

And ... I hope you are right.

2 minutes ago, N S said:

Welcome!!

Very good effort on your first post, so keep them coming.

And ... I hope you are right.

Thank you!!

I think way too many times  stats are used in an argument  to PROVE one side or the other. Stats will never PROVE anything and should be used to only SUPPORT your opinion which is only your opinion.

FOW% is as misleading as any other stat....for example: Carolina was #1 in team % and every one of their C's are above 54% but where are they in the standings? Sabres were #7 and where were they? Alternatively, Caps were 13th and Golden Knights were 22nd. Pitt was 28th when winning a cup and Tampa has been 27th for a couple years.

One stat will not win a cup and one player will not either, and that's why I think we'll be ok with Ryan gone. The big things are playing as much in the offensive zone as possible and the players stepping up and giving their all EVERY nite and EVERY shift. We in Sabreland remember a team that over acheived (and the foot in the crease) much like the Knights this year. These are the things that don't show up on the stat sheets. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Thank you!!

I think way too many times  stats are used in an argument  to PROVE one side or the other. Stats will never PROVE anything and should be used to only SUPPORT your opinion which is only your opinion.

FOW% is as misleading as any other stat....for example: Carolina was #1 in team % and every one of their C's are above 54% but where are they in the standings? Sabres were #7 and where were they? Alternatively, Caps were 13th and Golden Knights were 22nd. Pitt was 28th when winning a cup and Tampa has been 27th for a couple years.

One stat will not win a cup and one player will not either, and that's why I think we'll be ok with Ryan gone. The big things are playing as much in the offensive zone as possible and the players stepping up and giving their all EVERY nite and EVERY shift. We in Sabreland remember a team that over acheived (and the foot in the crease) much like the Knights this year. These are the things that don't show up on the stat sheets. 

Nice user name by the by.

As for stats ... I'm not a stat kind of guy, especially the 'fancy' ones.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.