Buffalo Beauts 2018-19

Eleven

1 minute ago, Weave said:

I can only speak of one in particular that waits tables to make ends meet.  She almost didn't come back last season because the practice times interfered with the better restaurant times crowd/tip-wise and the practices are unpaid.  Didn't make sense financially for her.

That's so unfortunate.  But she does get to do what she loves.  I guess when I think about it, there are tons of musicians, artists, and athletes in less popular sports who do the same types of things.

Just now, Eleven said:

That's so unfortunate.  But she does get to do what she loves.  I guess when I think about it, there are tons of musicians, artists, and athletes in less popular sports who do the same types of things.

Not any more.  If I remember the conversations correctly, a couple of seasons ago their pay was cut.  At that point she was definitely making more waiting tables on any given week in the season (or any given night, often) so it was difficult to justify making the sacrifices to play.  She felt obligated to come back after winning the title but had to make a decision that she wasn't comfortable making.  Last season the team allowed her to skip practices and still play.  She didn't want to do that, but did anyway.  And felt bad because she knew it wasn't right for the team, but she couldn't afford to lose her best days at the restaurant.  When the past season ended she knew it didn't make sense anymore to continue, so she retired.

Those girls don't get paid shyte, really.  It might as well be a hobby.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

FINALLY got to a game this past weekend. That was great hockey. Honestly, much more physical than I was expecting. It was 0-0 most of the way through the second even the though Beauts were up in shots pretty significantly. They scored 2 at the end of the second, then just took over the rest of the game, winning 6-0.

Great stuff, get there when you can.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sabills said:

FINALLY got to a game this past weekend. That was great hockey. Honestly, much more physical than I was expecting. It was 0-0 most of the way through the second even the though Beauts were up in shots pretty significantly. They scored 2 at the end of the second, then just took over the rest of the game, winning 6-0.

Great stuff, get there when you can.

Yes. In the game I saw it was interesting how the "no body checking" rule actually made the game more physical, as there was a lot more shoulder to shoulder jockeying to maintain/take away the puck. Much harder to get time and space when you can't knock over the opponent.

https://theathletic.com/773443/2019/01/17/shannon-szabados-drives-8-hour-round-trips-to-play-for-the-beauts-and-its-all-part-of-the-fun-of-her-first-season/

When Szabados first signed with the Beauts, she wasn’t sure what to expect from the team or the league. But now she says with confidence that it was the right decision all the way around.

“It’s been really fun, playing with females finally, for once in my life,” Szabados says.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Thanks LGR - when we went to watch the Beauts game a few weeks back, it was interesting to note how many of the players were from Buffalo or the surrounding area. It's impressive to see the dedication of the NWHL players to continue playing the sport they love, especially when they need to juggle another job for supplemental income.

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I might be able to go to the Jan 26 game--anyone else going?

Unfortunately we already have plans for that day, so we won't be.

Getting to more games has not gone well for us this year.

I know we're theoretically going to the bar after the SabreSpace Meetup game, but there is a Beauts game right after the Sabres game. Maybe we should keep the party going there and then go the bar?

At this point it'll have to be the Playoffs in March before we get back to one.

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

Unfortunately we already have plans for that day, so we won't be.

Getting to more games has not gone well for us this year.

I know we're theoretically going to the bar after the SabreSpace Meetup game, but there is a Beauts game right after the Sabres game. Maybe we should keep the party going there and then go the bar?

At this point it'll have to be the Playoffs in March before we get back to one.

That's not the worst idea you've ever had, especially since we can confirm that the whole group of us will be able to sit together at the Harborcenter rink, which won't happen for the Sabres game.

That said, knowing the personalities on this board - it may be dangerous to keep them from drinking for another 2-3 hours.

3 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

That's not the worst idea you've ever had, especially since we can confirm that the whole group of us will be able to sit together at the Harborcenter rink, which won't happen for the Sabres game.

That said, knowing the personalities on this board - it may be dangerous to keep them from drinking for another 2-3 hours.

Um, they have beer at the Beauts games too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.