Swedish Scout Marcus Fingel hired by Sabres

Brawndo

I know we all like to poke fun at the infusion of Swedes into our lineup, but I for one view this as a positive. If we can get a leg up on other teams & have an advantage into a foreign talent pool then by all means, i think that's good news. Just because we hired a Swedish scout, it doesn't mean we're going to ignore the rest of the world. The way i see it, the more scouts we have, the better.... for awhile there, it appeared as if we didn't have any scouts lol

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Too late.  We could have used him *before* picking up all those Swedes.  How do we know we got the right ones?

That was my thought exactly.  Shouldn't we have had a scouting in Sweden long before selecting Davidsson, Asplund, Olofsson, Dahlin, signing Pilut etc.....

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm sure they had scouting, but now they have a dedicated Swedish scout dude all to themselves.  It's a positive development.

Oh I agree, but considering how much we have invested of late in Scandinavian players, this is a much over due positive development.

On the plus side, Olofsson, Davidsson, Asplund, UPL and even the Laakksonen are developing nicely.

• Like (+1) 1

SHL or Elitserien as it was called before SHL was one of if not the best league in Europe before KHL started up for real.

Most good players either went to NHL or Swizterland after making it in Elitserien and it was not very hard to replace them since the reputation of Elitserien was worldwide, a good portal into NHL, Switz was basicly for cash only, 2-3 times more salary there than in Elitserien (SHL) for a decent player.
But now SHL is like nothing compared to what it was, hopefully we can keep producing talants over here but the money and budgets for teams are 
are dropping like a stone.

Every team had atleast 1 profile before,  a guy that was born in the same city that bleeded for the team that could get spectators all warm in their heart, this stuff doesnt even exsist anymore. SHL has dropped like a bomb here in Sweden and i personally dont even watch games anymore because in what direction SHL has been moved. 

Obviously we can still produce talant but the hype over SHL is basicly dead over here. What i more specificly mean by this is that obviously weve never been able to keep the stars from NHL, but the guys that are close to stars weve been able to keep because we could match Swiz- money or just because the quality was better, but when KHL came it was just not even possible. This is why its so hard for the teams these days to get ppl to come to the games becasuse the skilllevel has decreased and everyone thats pretty much good at the game leaves for NHL/KHL/Switzerland. So when we cant get ppl to come to our games, the moneybox for trying to have a big talatpool for every team keeps shrinking.

It is what it is ! 

Edited by MODO Hockey

6 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

SHL or Elitserien as it was called before SHL was one of if not the best league in Europe before KHL started up for real.

Most good players either went to NHL or Swizterland after making it in Elitserien and it was not very hard to replace them since the reputation of Elitserien was worldwide, a good portal into NHL, Switz was basicly for cash only, 2-3 times more salary there than in Elitserien (SHL) for a decent player.
But now SHL is like nothing compared to what it was, hopefully we can keep producing talants over here but the money and budgets for teams are 

Every team had atleast 1 profile before,  a guy that was born in the same city that bleeded for the team that could get spectators all warm in their heart, this stuff doesnt even exsist anymore. SHL has dropped like a bomb here in Sweden and i personally dont even watch games anymore because in what direction SHL has been moved. 

Obviously we can still produce talant but the hype over SHL is basicly dead over here. What i more specificly mean by this is that obviously weve never been able to keep the stars from NHL, but the guys that are close to stars weve been able to keep because we could match Swiz- money or just because the quality was better, but when KHL came it was just not even possible. This is why its so hard for the teams these days to get ppl to come to the games becasuse the skilllevel has decreased and everyone thats pretty much good at the game leaves for NHL/KHL/Switzerland. So when we cant get ppl to come to our games, the moneybox for trying to have a big talatpool for every team keeps shrinking.

It is what it is ! 

I guess that is why so many young guys make the SHL in their draft year.

Do you think changes to the import rules would improve the quality? Getting more ex NHL guys to play there? Would fans want to see those guys? How about enticing young North American prospects to go develop for a year while getting paid, like Matthews.

On 7/26/2018 at 8:47 AM, MODO Hockey said:

It is what it is ! 

I think KHL is the future for hockey in Europe though, might hard the more traditional countries like , Switzerland, Sweden, Finland and maybe Germany.

But the KHL could be a 40 team euro/russian league easy.

If I were the SHL and other non Russian leagues, I’d band together to form, a counter balance to the KHL.  Between Finland, Sweden, Germany and Switerland , I think you could form a pretty strong league and avoid Putin.  Maybe a Finland/Sweden Conference and a Swiss/German Conference with the Conference Champions playing a the Euro Cup.  Such a league might help attendance, keep some talent home by creating a huge championship to play for.  

There are 12-15 teams in each of the 4 leagues. I’d merge the teams down to 8 teams in each league and 32 team Europe League. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

On 7/25/2018 at 5:10 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

That was my thought exactly.  Shouldn't we have had a scouting in Sweden long before selecting Davidsson, Asplund, Olofsson, Dahlin, signing Pilut etc.....

We have had scouts in Sweden for years. At least since Murray was GM. https://buffalonews.com/2017/05/02/sabres-notebook-scouts-safe-nhls-role-hirings-eichel-scores/

Anders Forsberg

Anders Forsberg, born July 26, 1966 [1] [2] in Örnsköldsvik, is a Swedish ice hockey coach who is currently Europe's chief for Buffalo Sabres. In Sweden, he has been head coach in Skellefteå AIK and Modo Hockey. https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Forsberg_(ishockeytränare)

Botterill's bias/preference is causing me some concern. 

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.