Should Jbot Try To Add to This Roster Before Next Season?

GASabresIUFAN

31 minutes ago, jsb said:

Not that it's a significanin minve but what do you do with Scandella, McCabe, Guhle, Hunwick, Beaulieu, Dahlin, Antipin, Falk, Borgen, Tennyson, Risto, Bogosian, Nelson, Pilut, Fedun, Hickey, Bryson, Stephens, Martin, am I missing anybody?? That's alot of Dmen for 2 teams, here and Rochester. Somebody has to go, I would think??

Antipin & Falk, at a minimum are already gone.

Scandella, Ristolainen, Dahlin, McCabe, & Bogosian are Sabre locks.  3 more (Guhle, Nelson, & either Beaulieu or Hunwick) will also be here.

Leaves about 8-9 guys vying for the 6 regular slots on the farm.

Still kind of 'meh' on the D this year.  Think it could be good in 1-2 more years.

52 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

In the scenario ou laid out, Guhle starts in the minors because he can be sent down without waivers.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a waiver exempt period before the season starts where players can be sent down without having to clear, no?

I'm taking a different stance on all of this. The cupboard was so bare for years that if someone was defiant and not buying in or dragging the team, you couldn't sit them. There wasn't enough talent on the team to sit anyone for any reason. Now I feel like games can be taken from players which can hold everyone much more accountable. You only have to do it to a few players and make examples of them. I'm looking at you, Risto.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a waiver exempt period before the season starts where players can be sent down without having to clear, no?

Incorrect.  All players that are required by experience levels to clear waivers prior to being sent down, must clear them anew prior to being sent down.

Edited by Taro T
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/22/2018 at 7:05 PM, erickompositör72 said:

I'm guessing he's "trying" every day. Probably more than most realize.

The issue is whether or not there is an available move that is actually worthwhile.

Here's another question: should he make a move that may not benefit us, just to appear like he's trying to do something? 

One could argue he's already done this. ?

15 hours ago, Thorny said:

This was the old EA Sports glitch. Not a real thing, unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

A bona-fide LW.     I expect some prospects to be moved in the deal, and picks.   

But didn't Jbot already acquire to Bon-Fide LWs this off-season in Vodka (top 9) and Sheary (top 6)?  Didn't he re-sign a LW in Wilson (4th line) and have a breakout LW last season in Erod (top 6?).  Granted no superstars, but there is depth with Smith, Girgensons, Larsson, and OIofsson.

Frankly I'm more worried about RW.  Pommers is a shell of his former self.  Reinhart is a potential star, but not exactly fast.  Okposo is a huge ? who could either be top 6 or on the bench.  Thompson is a good prospect, but it's unclear if he is ready for a bigger role.  No idea if Bailey or Baptiste are more then AAAA players.  

35 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But didn't Jbot already acquire to Bon-Fide LWs this off-season in Vodka (top 9) and Sheary (top 6)?  Didn't he re-sign a LW in Wilson (4th line) and have a breakout LW last season in Erod (top 6?).  Granted no superstars, but there is depth with Smith, Girgensons, Larsson, and OIofsson.

Frankly I'm more worried about RW.  Pommers is a shell of his former self.  Reinhart is a potential star, but not exactly fast.  Okposo is a huge ? who could either be top 6 or on the bench.  Thompson is a good prospect, but it's unclear if he is ready for a bigger role.  No idea if Bailey or Baptiste are more then AAAA players.  

Sheary is the only NHL LW in the entire organization.     And I'd argue he rode the coattails of Sid, so my expectations for him are small... in fact, I'll be surprised if he sticks in the top 6.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Sheary is the only NHL LW in the entire organization.     And I'd argue he rode the coattails of Sid, so my expectations for him are small... in fact, I'll be surprised if he sticks in the top 6.

There's another way of looking at it; Pittsburgh thought him good enough to play with Sid.  

I don't recall you being as negative as I've seen recently.  Maybe I'm just not remembering well.

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

There's another way of looking at it; Pittsburgh thought him good enough to play with Sid.  

I don't recall you being as negative as I've seen recently.  Maybe I'm just not remembering well.

Nope. He’s angryPi 

I’m a little confused by his definition of legit NHL LW.  We don’t have a bonifide superstar, but Sobotka, Erod, Sheary and Wilson are NHL wingers.  Sheary and Erod are 40 pt players, Sobotka gives us 30 points and solid 2 way play with excellence in the FO circle and Wilson is a fast hard working energy guy with some skill that can play up and down the lineup.  I’d love for Nylander or even Thompson (he shoots R) to emerge as a top line scoring threat,  but for right now, I’ll these 4 hard work, fast and solid players.

Pi all the legit lws that can be traded for that you and I would like are not gonna be traded by another team. So why bark at the moon.  Gotta develop the guys Sabres have.  Hope a legit FA falls next year or draft one.  Any guy I would have liked is probably getting too old and any young ones teams are holding on to and looking for cap dumps.  It aint gonna happen.  So again young guys need to step up.

Edited by North Buffalo

3 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

Well looks like this years semi-annual event: 'What about adding Bruce Orpik' has finally been brought to a close, after the Capitals brought him back for 1 year at $1 Million.

Stay tuned for next off-season when Matt Bove throws his name out there all over again. ?

The Germans?

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m a little confused by his definition of legit NHL LW.  We don’t have a bonifide superstar, but Sobotka, Erod, Sheary and Wilson are NHL wingers.  Sheary and Erod are 40 pt players, Sobotka gives us 30 points and solid 2 way play with excellence in the FO circle and Wilson is a fast hard working energy guy with some skill that can play up and down the lineup.  I’d love for Nylander or even Thompson (he shoots R) to emerge as a top line scoring threat,  but for right now, I’ll these 4 hard work, fast and solid players.

It's ok to have guys like this in the lineup, but on a good team, you'd see one or two replaced by more dynamic players.

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's ok to have guys like this in the lineup, but on a good team, you'd see one or two replaced by more dynamic players.

Have you looked at LW stats across the league?  Only the top 15 LW’s had 60 pts or more.  Neal was 30th with 44 pts.  Erod’s scoring pace from last season would have put him at 33rd over a full season.  McGinn’s 29 pts placed him 60th.  

I’d love as much as anyone for us to have a legit top 10 LW, but people’s fantasy of having a great dynamic group of wingers just isn’t reality.  

Rw is only slightly better pts wise and the drop off is greater. Top 30 is 46 pts. Top 60 is 25 pts.  

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Pi all the legit lws that can be traded for that you and I would like are not gonna be traded by another team. So why bark at the moon.  Gotta develop the guys Sabres have.  Hope a legit FA falls next year or draft one.  Any guy I would have liked is probably getting too old and any young ones teams are holding on to and looking for cap dumps.  It aint gonna happen.  So again young guys need to step up.

They need to make a move for a Satan or Briere or the like.   

They have a bunch of prospects and picks, time to turn some of that collateral into an actual roster spot.   

You'd think their pro scouts would have their eyes on a few guys who other teams may under value or just generally give up on.   Trade a Nylander for somebody else's Nylander... often a change of scenery is all it takes.    

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

They need to make a move for a Satan or Briere or the like.   

They have a bunch of prospects and picks, time to turn some of that collateral into an actual roster spot.   

You'd think their pro scouts would have their eyes on a few guys who other teams may under value or just generally give up on.   Trade a Nylander for somebody else's Nylander... often a change of scenery is all it takes.    

This is what TM did and look where it got us.  We aren't ready for that.  We need to see what our kids can do and then and only then supplement if necessary.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.