PSE Creativity Watch

That Aud Smell

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

It's probably just a bunch of people who were born here, grew up here, never left, and only hire people just like them so they can such each other's ***** about how talented and creative they are.

and they all have blocky monograms (usually black and white) for their social media profiles. You think I'm joking, take a stroll through sports design social media. It's kinda funny.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd also add that for me visually, the gold plates aren't anchored properly to the image next to them. If you put the gold plates next to that shield they should line up properly as opposed to the top plate being slightly below the shield (look at the silver line coming across and the top of the gold plate) and the bottom plate being slightly above but not to the same extent as the top plate. It lacks balance. 

100% agree with you and enjoy your artistic/graphic design thoughts on this mess. 

Oh yeah, that image in particular is definitely the new person/intern being told to slap a ton of info on using a half finished branding guide. I feel for them. 

Doubt it would pass facebook's 80/20 rule (no such rule on twitter). Fun fun. 

• Like (+1) 1

The guy who does all this was in my class in highschool and his first project was the slug. He showed it to me before it was revealed and all I remember saying to him was "what is that and where are the legs"?! I was so pissed off and told him I thought it was awful.

I can only pray that the royal blue is not some new creation but time after time, they have totally screwed it up. They will get the money grab with the 3rd jersey this year and then do it all over again next year with the royal blue

THis doesn't make any sense... 50 years, with a "journery through the decades"... but there's only 4 "decades" listed? 

IIRC, they only wore the slug for what 4 maybe 5 seasons?   Just skip it We don't want to see it thank you.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

THis doesn't make any sense... 50 years, with a "journery through the decades"... but there's only 4 "decades" listed? 

IIRC, they only wore the slug for what 4 maybe 5 seasons?   Just skip it We don't want to see it thank you.

Good call, that graphic doesn't make a lot of sense. It would have made more sense to use an action shot of a player or something for each decade rather than highlighting the uniform changes, which occurred haphazardly throughout the years.

• Like (+1) 2

If I were to read between the lines a little bit, what I'm seeing is acknowledgement of two very interesting points:

1. The team is fully aware of the hyper-focus fans place on the jerseys

2. They're so aware of it that they're already clumsily running over their own Decades theme with it

Ominous...

44 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

35 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Good call, that graphic doesn't make a lot of sense. It would have made more sense to use an action shot of a player or something for each decade rather than highlighting the uniform changes, which occurred haphazardly throughout the years.

Yeah, to make it more of a 5 decades thing, they could've included a 5th logo in primarily the gold / white that's been rumored as the 50th anniversary uni.  That, or denote the 80's by swapping it to a white home uni vibe.

(Though in fairness to the apparently bumbling designers, it wasn't their fault that the classic original sweater survived relatively unscathed for a full quarter century until the wicked witch got it into her clutches.)

Edited by Taro T

You have to feel bad those involved in planning, marketing and executing this anniversary celebration. Dollars to donuts, they know very little about Sabres history. Plainly put, this is a suicide mission, especially if the team is bad yet again.

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You have to feel bad those involved in planning, marketing and executing this anniversary celebration. Dollars to donuts, they know very little about Sabres history. Plainly put, this is a suicide mission, especially if the team is bad yet again.

I don't. It's their jobs to do this stuff right even if the team is bad. If this thing turns into a huge, disjointed mess then fans shouldn't feel bad at all about shitting on it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

It's not even 4 decades, they all say 1970. 

So odd. 

16 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Depends how "high up" the plans are coming from, I guess. 

8 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I don't. It's their jobs to do this stuff right even if the team is bad. If this thing turns into a huge, disjointed mess then fans shouldn't feel bad at all about shitting on it.

Definitely not. It's the organization's job as a whole to get it right. 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's not even 4 decades, they all say 1970. 

So odd. 

Well, it would look even odder if instead of using the year they started competing in the NHL if they used the year / years they started using that particular scheme or even more randomly, say, used the Adelphia colors to represent the '90's when they didn't go to those until they moved to the MMArena in '96.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, it would look even odder if instead of using the year they started competing in the NHL if they used the year / years they started using that particular scheme or even more randomly, say, used the Adelphia colors to represent the '90's when they didn't go to those until they moved to the MMArena in '96.

Right, which is why it's weird to draw attention to the different logos/jerseys as points of demarcation. It kinda draws attention away from the idea that this is supposed to be a celebration of the Sabres history and makes it a bit too much about the jersey changes.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So basically it looks like they've decided to focus on showcasing the previous main uniform sets. I like that in theory but it's messy in combination with what they've been placing focus on up to this point, and I still think we are looking at pre-game threads at best. Would be cool to be wrong on this, though. 

It just all seems so muddled. 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Right, which is why it's weird to draw attention to the different logos/jerseys as points of demarcation. It kinda draws attention away from the idea that this is supposed to be a celebration of the Sabres history and makes it a bit too much about the jersey changes.

"Celebrate the Tradition."

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

"Celebrate the Tradition."

Hard to believe that was 20 years ago.

Am I wrong to think there will be three nights this year where they will wear one of the three previous main jerseys and salute a group of players that originally wore them?

Edited by dudacek

Just now, darksabre said:

Is that a tag line somewhere? Does this celebration have three different themes? 

That was the tagine for the 20th Anniversary.  You know, when they were entering the 8th of 10 consecutive seasons of not getting past the 1st round. 

Yep, let's celebrate the friggin' tradition.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.