Sabrespace Nicknames and Lexicon

GASabresIUFAN

10 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

How about the "Deluca .500"? That's some classic SS lexicon.

I don't see how you can turn Pu into Pooh, or Poo. Nicknames typically shorten a name. Pu is just fine (I really, really, really hope he makes it.)

For Tage Thompson I'd suggest "Tager", a stupid nickname for a stupid name.

Also missing from the list is Rasmus Dahlin. I have nothing but poor suggestions: Dals? Too lentily, Rasdal? DalRas? Rasmee? Leener?

What about R2 - for Rasmus the 2nd

4 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

I don't know if it is for other reasons, but because God's name was so holy, the Jewish scribes couldn't even write it, so they would omit vowels.

Hebrew did not have any vowels at all originally. Most Biblical Hebrew was written without vowels, so I don't think this is the correct explanation.  I could be wrong and welcome corrections.

On a similar vein, though, it is my understanding that YHWH is not pronounced aloud by Jews because it is God's name.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I kind of like “Vodka” for Vlad Sobatka. 

But Boats will work.  

I like Vodka too.  But you have to say it with a Russian accent.... Vohd-ka.

Edited by pi2000

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Tim Murray - Was GMTM now ex-GMTM

Dan Bylsma - Disco Dan or DD

Terry Pegula - TP , TPegs

Larry Quinn - aka the Devil

Ryan O’Reilly - ROR and brother COR

Lawrence Pilut - “Otto”

Jason Botterill - Jbot or GMJB or Botts

Phil Housley - Phil or Wowie

Jack Eichel - Jack, Eich, Eichs

Samson Reinhart - Sam, Samson, Reino

Rasmus Ristolainen - Risto

Evan Rodriguez - ERod

Jason Pominville - Pommers, Pominstein, Poms

Kyle Okposo - KO

Zemgus Girgensons - Big Z or Girgs 

Nathan Beaulieu - “Baloo” - Bah-low

Zach Bogosian - Bogo

Casey Mittelstadt - “G-d”, Casey, Mittelstud

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen - UPL or 3-2K?

Alex Nylander - “Bust”

Metaj Pekar - “Major”

Who else?

additions

Johan Larsson - Larry

Cliff Pu - Pooh  - It’s needs the “h” or it’s just a stinking pile of ......

Tage Thomspon - Tommy

Carter Hutton - Hutts

Patrik Berglund - Bergs

Vladimir Sobatka - "Vodka"

Do you want your two accounts merged? I’m sure the login issues can be corrected now. 

13 hours ago, JujuFish said:

Hebrew did not have any vowels at all originally. Most Biblical Hebrew was written without vowels, so I don't think this is the correct explanation.  I could be wrong and welcome corrections.

On a similar vein, though, it is my understanding that YHWH is not pronounced aloud by Jews because it is God's name.

You made me curious so I poked around a bit. In written Hebrew there were no vowels. However there would    sometimes be markings to indicate that a vowel was supppsed to be there. As YHWH (Yahweh) is the sacred name of God they would rarely write it and not say it out loud. This led to in more modern times people translating YHWH to Jehovah which is incorrect.

14 hours ago, JujuFish said:

And yet another example of the similarities between the Classical Arabic of the Qur'an and the Classical Hebrew of the Bible.

The original text of the Qur'an and the Arabic of the time had no vowels (the little dash and dot like symbols in written modern Arabic).  The Classical Arabic is read the same way as the modern versions of the language, but it is more difficult to understand completely.  Very few Arabic (Mother Tongue) speakers now can even read the Classical Arabic of the Qur'an.  This stuff is fascinating.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It was written in Sryo-Aramaic. Classical Arabic is a form Syro-Aramaic and while is similar to spoke Arabic, even modern Arabic (and Hebrew) there are differences.  

The earliest known copy that was found in Syria (I think) was in Syro-Aramaic.  That dates considerable time after Muhammad (PBUH).  The earliest written form of the Qur'an (not full versions) was written by trusted scribes of Muhammad (PBUH) in the Classical Arabic of that region of Arabia, during his lifetime.  None of these earliest manuscripts are known to exist.

55 minutes ago, N S said:

The earliest known copy that was found in Syria (I think) was in Syro-Aramaic.  That dates considerable time after Muhammad (PBUH).  The earliest written form of the Qur'an (not full versions) was written by trusted scribes of Muhammad (PBUH) in the Classical Arabic of that region of Arabia, during his lifetime.  None of these earliest manuscripts are known to exist.

Even the modern Quran is basically Aramaic.  The grammer, verbage, phrasing is “classical Arabic,” but is much more similar to Aramaic then modern Arabic.  The first written version was by Abu Bakar I believe but his North Arabian dialect of Arabic was written as Syriac or Aramaic.  This is why, as you wrote earlier, so many people today cannot read or make sense of the Quran’s wording.  It’s because they are applying the wrong decoder. 

Modern examples might be comparing Quebec French to France’s French or Brazil’s Portuguese to Portugal’s. Time and distance has made them different.  Even English is different between the US, Britian and Australia, although not to the extent of the other examples.  Modern Hebrew vs Prayer Hebrew vs Talmudic Hebrew are very different and are read and written differently.  Classical Arabic is much closer to Aramaic then it is to modern Arabic.   

Just to give this some context.  I have letters written by family members who were murdered in the Holocaust up to 1940.  One of them was a “sofer” or scribe.  His job was to hand write the Torah or bible in Hebrew on velum. His letters are written using the Hebrew alphabet.  For years I couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t  understand what he had written.  Then it dawned on me, the letters were Hebrew but the language was Yiddish. For those who don’t know what Yiddish is, it is a combination language (for lack of a better term). Yiddish is a mix of German with Hebrew and Aramaic, but as it moved east it added Russian and Polish words as well.  

Now back to the topic.  

I forgot to give Bogo his other nickname —- Mr. Glass.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.