The First Five Games

Doohickie

20 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Here's my thoughts regarding Game 1:  We're so used to the Sabres coming out of the blocks slowly at the beginning of the season.  At some point they will be well prepared coming out of camp.  This is HCPH's "prove it" year I think, and he will push the team hard to win the first few games.  They will catch the Bruins by surprise and win on a fluky OT goal.  They do something similar against the Rangers but fall behind and tie it late before succumbing in OT.  Vegas will blow them out, but then they rattle off a couple wins against the other western teams.

Starting against the Bruins is sort of high stakes. It will be emotional, I think everyone hates them. It will be a big emotional lift to start the season if we win but a real bummer if we lose at home with that Rat Marchand scoring late to win or something. Hopefully Chara has lost another step and our quick forwards force him to cough up the puck.

21 hours ago, sabills said:

The Sabres haven't had a winning record at any point in a season in something like 5 years, so this would be promising.

No way I'm picking them over the Bruins, though.

If they beat the Bruins and lose to the Rangers back to back I'll have no idea what to expect from this season

I could see a let down from the young team after a big win against Boston. I'll take a win against Boston and loss to Rangers and be happy. Anything, just beat the Bruins!

• Like (+1) 1

New goal tending tandem, so i expect it to be better,

I hope new defensive pairings so I expect it to be better

I am looking for an early season NJ Devils youth experiment so they don't know they are aren't supposed to win. 

Other teams don't know what to expect from this team as do any of us. Also early on everybody is still looking to find their stride. 

I say early will be better before they realize they aren't as good as they think they are. 

4-1 , maybe 3-2 

Boston Bruins @ Buffalo Sabres OT Win 3-2 Rasmus GW (could be 2nd loss L the other way Boston in OT) 
New York Rangers @ Buffalo Sabres Win 2-1 - Hutton steals the show against Lundquist
Vegas Golden Knights @ Buffalo Sabres L 3-2 -  
Colorado Avalanche @ Buffalo Sabres W  4-2 (Linus first win)
Buffalo Sabres @ Arizona Coyotes  Sabres W 3-1 (Hutton looks like a great pickup early at 3-1 or 2-2 record)

46 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

I expect our PP to be firing right off the bat. And no Beaulieu/Lehner tandem to combine forces for SH GA's

I think the positive impact of not having Lehner anywhere near this team in general this coming season is being criminally undersold.

• Like (+1) 4

On 7/17/2018 at 11:51 AM, erickompositör72 said:

I think they come out of the gate with a fire lit under their collective ####. I think there will be a new energy in the organization, and a new sense of "if I don't get it done, there's somebody waiting in the wings to take my spot and put me on the AHL bus"

I think this will actually bring positive things out of a Zemgus Girgensons type character. Not saying he makes it out with his job- that depends a lot on how Wowie uses him.

On 7/17/2018 at 11:56 AM, erickompositör72 said:

Another thought- Vegas did so well because they had the right mix of both talent, and an attitude of "I'll show you that you should have protected me."

JBot is doing well to fill the pipeline with players who have that attitude- players who want to prove what they've got. Ruff and 90s Nolan new how to get that out of players. I think JBot is trying to recreate that same spirit, from the GM side of things.

We also have elite talent on the team. It's going to click soon.

On 7/17/2018 at 12:24 PM, N S said:

I think they run the table.  Yup, I said it.

On 7/17/2018 at 9:40 PM, Huckleberry said:

we will win all 5 and this place will go bananas.

20 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

5-0, haters.

giphy.gif

Yeah baby!

Dahlin is going to come out like Superman.  He's going to make everyone better.  And the goaltending will be either much better or much, much better.

• Like (+1) 1

Doug Allen will miss the opener for his regularly scheduled Thursday night church choir.

Emma Kowalczyk, 13, of North Tonawanda will step in. She will be slightly off-key and fail to point at the brave veteran.

Allen will return for the remaining home games.

Bruins playing the SC champs the night before so they'll be too hyped up for that one. Rask will start that one, Halak against us? Who refused to play in Buffalo? I'm begging for a big win in game 1, with Jack w/ 2 points and Dahlin w/ his first NHL point.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Rasmus Dahlin will eat backup goalies for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. 

He will eat them for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner, all at the same time.  When he is done digesting them, he will sh#t out golden Stanley Cups. 

Skating onto the ice for the intros to a raucous din of deliriously excited fans, Dahlin trips on a shag One Buffalo rug that some unfortunate children made, Brought to you by Kaleida, the Official Unfortunate Children Provider of the Buffalo Sabres, and Eichel makes a grab at him and they both fall very awkwardly to the ground, says Rob, and the start of the game is delayed 35 minutes by an unprecedented dual stretchering EMS exercise. No one watches the next four games.

Edited by PASabreFan
the jimmy fingers

On 7/17/2018 at 8:18 AM, Doohickie said:

They've been staring at me from the sidebar since the site was upgraded.

Boston Bruins @ Buffalo Sabres
New York Rangers @ Buffalo Sabres
Vegas Golden Knights @ Buffalo Sabres
Colorado Avalanche @ Buffalo Sabres
Buffalo Sabres @ Arizona Coyotes

How do you think the Sabres will do?  I'm going out on a limb here and say the Sabres will go 3-1-1, with a big loss vs. Vegas and OTL against the Rangers.

So the first 5 games will be:

Boston Bruins 2, Buffalo Sabres 3 (OT)
New York Rangers 5, Buffalo Sabres 4 (OT)
Vegas Golden Knights 8, Buffalo Sabres 2
Colorado Avalanche 0, Buffalo Sabres 2 (Ullmark shutout)
Buffalo Sabres 5, Arizona Coyotes 1

Prove me wrong.

How many seasons in a row now has them going West in the 1st couple of weeks?

Not such a bad thing to have an early road trip.  After Arizona, they visit Vegas, San Jose, L.A. & Anaheim before coming home for Montreal and then a quick trip to Columbus before closing out October at home against Calgary.

By the time October's done we should have a good idea whether or not they're a well-oiled machine or a work in progress.

4 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

How many seasons in a row now has them going West in the 1st couple of weeks?

I hate the early trip out West.    Used to be in Feb most years, now back to back early in the season... no bueno.

• 2 weeks later...

With the acquisition of Skinner, anyone care to change their predictions?

I said 3-1-1:

New York Rangers 5, Buffalo Sabres 4 (OT)
Vegas Golden Knights 8, Buffalo Sabres 2

I'll revise that to 4-1-0:

New York Rangers 4, Buffalo Sabres 5 (OT)
Vegas Golden Knights 8, Buffalo Sabres 4

Edited by Doohickie
Doohickie is a moron.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.