the 3 First Rounders in 2019

LGR4GM

2019 First Round Picks  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with the 3 first round picks we have in 2019? (assume none of them slide)

• Trade the 2 extra and just use the highest 1st round pick at the draft
    • Trade 1 of the picks in a package for an NHL player/Prospect
    • Package all 3 picks to get a player from a team needing to make moves
    • Keep all 3 picks and make them at the draft

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/19/2018 at 03:59 AM

40 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I voted keep all three. I’m open to anything, but the hope is we’re about to have a surge of expensive deals. Eichel’s already on one, Mittelstadt hopefully earns one in two years and Dahlin hopefully does in three. Reinhart right now.

The best and most sustainable franchises are able to supplement their expensive talent with quality young prospects. Three first round picks is a ton to restock the cupboard, so to speak. And we don’t really have much in the pipeline right now.

That's where I am at. 

I also voted keep all 3 plus what hasn't been mentioned is the distinct possibility of having 4 of the top 35-40 picks in the draft next year. Scouting will be a big key of the Sabres future moving on. 

I wouldn't move any of those picks unless a steal of a trade presents itself. You hit on all 4 of those picks (although slim) and your team is basically set.

Just now, jsb said:

I also voted keep all 3 plus what hasn't been mentioned is the distinct possibility of having 4 of the top 35-40 picks in the draft next year. Scouting will be a big key of the Sabres future moving on. 

I wouldn't move any of those picks unless a steal of a trade presents itself. You hit on all 4 of those picks (although slim) and your team is basically set.

You hit on 3 of 4 of those picks and you are set. They need less Samuelsson though and more Berggren. 

Multiple scenarios exists where not all 3 picks are in 2019, right? If the Sharks miss the playoffs, that pick slides to 2020 (and is unprotected then?). 

And if StL really stinks it up (top 10) then that pick also slides to 2020.

Hopefully by midseason we’ll have a solid idea about all three team’s playoff chances. But even still, JBot might have to wait until the next offseason to move any fluid picks. At least if I’m another GM, I want to know. 

I've heard next years draft is supposedly pretty deep, so using the picks & stocking up on talent should be the better long term strategy imo.

However I'm curious as to the chances of us trading all 3 1st round picks to move up to the #1 spot to get Hughes.

Do you A. think that move would be worth it? Getting another one of those 'generational talents' who can jump in right away & be productive? And B. if we're not drafting 1st overall to begin with, do you think the team up top would be willing to trade down with us for 3 of those picks?

I highly doubt JBots would do this, however if I were a GM i'd rather have 1 Connor McDavid than 3 possible Nylanders. The NHL Draft is a crapshoot, i'd rather go for the sure thing if i could. Just curious what some of you think about this scenario

Edited by MillerVaive
spelling :P

11 minutes ago, MillerVaive said:

I've heard next years draft is supposedly pretty deep, so using the picks & stocking up on talent should be the better long term strategy imo.

However I'm curious as to the chances of us trading all 3 1st round picks to move up to the #1 spot to get Hughes.

Do you A. think that move would be worth it? Getting another one of those 'generational talents' who can jump in right away & be productive? And B. if we're not drafting 1st overall to begin with, do you think the team up top would be willing to trade down with us for 3 of those picks?

I highly doubt JBots would do this, however if I were a GM i'd rather have 1 Connor McDavid than 3 possible Nylanders. The NHL Draft is a crapshoot, i'd rather go for the sure thing if i could. Just curious what some of you think about this scenario

We'll have a better chance winning the lottery than someone trading us that #1 pick. Especially for the player Hughes is supposed to be.

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Depends on how deep the draft is.     If they think they can get quality at those spots, then keep the picks.    If they think there's a large drop off before they'll pick, then use them as part of a trade.... perhaps a package to fill a need.

copy cat.

34 minutes ago, MillerVaive said:

21 minutes ago, jsb said:

We'll have a better chance winning the lottery than someone trading us that #1 pick. Especially for the player Hughes is supposed to be.

That's an interesting thought.  For a team that's already had several top drafts like the Sabres an maybe is getting enough quality bodies to play coming down the pipe, having the three picks isn't as important as getting a single, guaranteed prospect, but if the team that wins the lottery is just starting their rebuild and need a lot of bodies, they may prefer the 3 picks, especially if they come with a Reinhart/Risto-level player.

Doubtful, but I would say it's a better likelihood than winning the lottery since JBot wouldn't make the trade until he knew who did with the lottery.... there's an interesting element of control there.

I don't think he does it though; I think that even if he thought he could land Hughes, he might still value the three picks over the one.

The only one I can think of (and it happened after the fact) is the Eric Lindros trade.  Interestingly, the team that traded its futures (Philly) didn't do nearly as well as the team trading the #1 (Avs, eventually), who eventually got 2 Cup championships.

In the past 10 years, no team has traded out of the top 5 spots. But back in 2002, 2003 the Hurricanes traded their #1 selection both years, both for the #3 selection.

The odds are obviously it wouldnt happen. But say the Sabres start out with the #5 pick. Take that & package it with our other picks and i dont know, maybe it becomes a possibility?

Just fyi, heres the source paragraph of the Canes trading out of the #1 spot if any of you are curious to learn about it. I myself didnt remember until i googled it.

The Florida Panthers traded the #1 overall selection two straight years, in 2002 and 2003, both times getting the #3 overall selection. In 2002, knowing that the #1 guy on their draft board (Jay Bouwmeester) would be available at #3, they swapped picks with Columbus, who chose Rick Nash #1 overall. In exchange, the Panthers got the #3 pick and the option to swap picks with Columbus in the 2003 draft. They won the draft lottery again in 2003, so they didn’t need to swap picks with Columbus, but they still moved down to #3 to select Nathan Horton, who was #1 on their board, and sent the pick along with a third rounder to Pittsburgh for the #3, Mikael Samuelsson, and a second round pick. Pittsburgh would select goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury. In both cases for Florida, the player that was at the top of their draft board was still going to be available with the pick they traded to, so the risk for them “trading down” was minimal.

15 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The only one I can think of (and it happened after the fact) is the Eric Lindros trade.  Interestingly, the team that traded its futures (Philly) didn't do nearly as well as the team trading the #1 (Avs, eventually), who eventually got 2 Cup championships.

Without Roy, the Avs win squat even w/ all the rest of their talent brought in from myriad last place finishes.

43 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That's an interesting thought.  For a team that's already had several top drafts like the Sabres an maybe is getting enough quality bodies to play coming down the pipe, having the three picks isn't as important as getting a single, guaranteed prospect, but if the team that wins the lottery is just starting their rebuild and need a lot of bodies, they may prefer the 3 picks, especially if they come with a Reinhart/Risto-level player.

Doubtful, but I would say it's a better likelihood than winning the lottery since JBot wouldn't make the trade until he knew who did with the lottery.... there's an interesting element of control there.

I don't think he does it though; I think that even if he thought he could land Hughes, he might still value the three picks over the one.

You can have McDavid or Dylan Strome, Zachary Senyshyn, and jack Rosolvic. Which do you want, you just started your rebuild. 

No one is trading out of first overall. 

32 minutes ago, MillerVaive said:

In the past 10 years, no team has traded out of the top 5 spots. But back in 2002, 2003 the Hurricanes traded their #1 selection both years, both for the #3 selection.

The odds are obviously it wouldnt happen. But say the Sabres start out with the #5 pick. Take that & package it with our other picks and i dont know, maybe it becomes a possibility?

Just fyi, heres the source paragraph of the Canes trading out of the #1 spot if any of you are curious to learn about it. I myself didnt remember until i googled it.

The Florida Panthers traded the #1 overall selection two straight years, in 2002 and 2003, both times getting the #3 overall selection. In 2002, knowing that the #1 guy on their draft board (Jay Bouwmeester) would be available at #3, they swapped picks with Columbus, who chose Rick Nash #1 overall. In exchange, the Panthers got the #3 pick and the option to swap picks with Columbus in the 2003 draft. They won the draft lottery again in 2003, so they didn’t need to swap picks with Columbus, but they still moved down to #3 to select Nathan Horton, who was #1 on their board, and sent the pick along with a third rounder to Pittsburgh for the #3, Mikael Samuelsson, and a second round pick. Pittsburgh would select goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury. In both cases for Florida, the player that was at the top of their draft board was still going to be available with the pick they traded to, so the risk for them “trading down” was minimal.

Carolina is pretty close to Florida ... and Florida does have a lot of Hurricanes ...

?

Edited by N S
JUST JOKING AROUND WITH YOU

I see your point, Liger, but the analogy has to be updated with the actual 2019 players.  I'm assuming that McJesus is truly generational, but Hughes lies.... somewhere between Jack and McDavid?  And the other three picks... they'd have to be assessed against the players that will be selected in 2019, not the ones that were selected in 2015.

Agree though.... not likely.  Just discussing.

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You can have McDavid or Dylan Strome, Zachary Senyshyn, and jack Rosolvic. Which do you want, you just started your rebuild. 

No one is trading out of first overall. 

There's no McDavid in 2019 though. Not even close.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I see your point, Liger, but the analogy has to be updated with the actual 2019 players.  I'm assuming that McJesus is truly generational, but Hughes lies.... somewhere between Jack and McDavid?  And the other three picks... they'd have to be assessed against the players that will be selected in 2019, not the ones that were selected in 2015.

Agree though.... not likely.  Just discussing.

No way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.