Next Soccer Star

Samson's Flow

So after the World Cup Final, all of the analysts seem to be slurping up Mbappe as the next soccer star to follow the Messi/Ronaldo generation. 

Is this just a result of the French side winning the World Cup and getting him the exposure, or is he really better than the more notable names of Neymar, Pulisic, etc? Who do you vote for as the next "big name" in the soccer world?

5 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

So after the World Cup Final, all of the analysts seem to be slurping up Mbappe as the next soccer star to follow the Messi/Ronaldo generation. 

Is this just a result of the French side winning the World Cup and getting him the exposure, or is he really better than the more notable names of Neymar, Pulisic, etc? Who do you vote for as the next "big name" in the soccer world?

I was going to post something to this effect.

I do believe that Mbappe will be the next Messi / Ronaldo.  Messi is clearly finished, at least on an International level and will probably retire for good form International competition.  Ronaldo still looks as good as ever, but how long will that last at 33?  He will be 35 for the next Euro and 37 for the next WC.  Luka is also 32 as are a number of other very good players.

Neymar will never be at the Messi / Ronaldo level, if for no other reason than his annoying diving antics.  Pulisic is not quite on the same level as Mbappe, but in a few years time I can see those two in a rivalry similar to Messi / Ronaldo.

31 minutes ago, N S said:

I do believe that Mbappe will be the next Messi / Ronaldo.  Messi is clearly finished, at least on an International level and will probably retire for good form International competition.  Ronaldo still looks as good as ever, but how long will that last at 33?  He will be 35 for the next Euro and 37 for the next WC.  Luka is also 32 as are a number of other very good players.

Neymar will never be at the Messi / Ronaldo level, if for no other reason than his annoying diving antics.  Pulisic is not quite on the same level as Mbappe, but in a few years time I can see those two in a rivalry similar to Messi / Ronaldo.

To your point, I would vote in the "anyone but Neymar" camp as he only perpetuates the diving stigma that many casual viewers of soccer hate about the game.

I had just not heard of Mbappe as a player of note until the World Cup. It sounds like that was just me living under a rock.

15 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

To your point, I would vote in the "anyone but Neymar" camp as he only perpetuates the diving stigma that many casual viewers of soccer hate about the game.

I had just not heard of Mbappe as a player of note until the World Cup. It sounds like that was just me living under a rock.

I'd heard the name, but this tournament was a big breakout for him on a world stage, for sure.

3 minutes ago, sabills said:

I'd heard the name, but this tournament was a big breakout for him on a world stage, for sure.

This is true.  At 19 he had very little exposure outside of whatever team handled his development and I am not sure which team that is even.

This WC was his world breakout moment and he really grabbed it.

5 hours ago, N S said:

I don't think anyone will ever be at a Messi/Ronaldo level. Mbappe will be very, very good, but at the end of the day I don't think he touches those two

I agree on Pulisic, he will not touch Mbappe. 

5 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

4 hours ago, N S said:

This is true.  At 19 he had very little exposure outside of whatever team handled his development and I am not sure which team that is even.

This WC was his world breakout moment and he really grabbed it.

He's been big for awhile now. He had an insanely large transfer fee to PSG, and is one of the world's highest paid players

48 minutes ago, N S said:

No one really pays much attention to the French league, other than the French.

Granted it's only Nice and PSG but they have Cavanni, Neymar, Mbappe, Bufon, they just had Ibra...that's a legit team with some mega stars 

16 hours ago, WildCard said:

I don't think anyone will ever be at a Messi/Ronaldo level. Mbappe will be very, very good, but at the end of the day I don't think he touches those two

There's always the next big star. He won't be Messi the way Messi wasn't Pele`. But someone will still fill the void of the superstar, and we'll argue who was the best.

1 minute ago, sabills said:

There's always the next big star. He won't be Messi the way Messi wasn't Pele`. But someone will still fill the void of the superstar, and we'll argue who was the best.

I think this is a good assessment.  Every era has a star, or two, but they will all be compared to Pele.  IMO, no one has touched him.

1 hour ago, N S said:

I think this is a good assessment.  Every era has a star, or two, but they will all be compared to Pele.  IMO, no one has touched him.

I think his name still stands out head and shoulders above the rest. He's like Gretzky, I can't imagine anyone ever coming close to him.

Not to be a jerk, but pretty much anyone who follows European soccer beyond just a casual interest was already well aware of Mbappe. He's already one of the top-5 players in the world at 19. He won the Golden Boy Award last year as the best player in Europe under the age of 21 and should easily win it again this year.  https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/23/golden-boy-2017-kylian-mbappe-wins-award

Of note is 2, 6 (Pulisic), and 8 on the list in the above link all played for Dortmund two season ago. Also of note is no American player has ever been nominated until Pulisic, but watch out for 18 year old Josh Sargent at Werder Bremen. He has a chance to be America's first ever "world class" striker.

• Like (+1) 1