Ray Emery, former Ottawa goalie, reportedly drowned

LGR4GM

31 minutes ago, Skibum said:

This is how I will always remember Ray Emery. Sabres-Senators was such a great rivalry at that time, and this donnybrook was up there with the 'Scary Good' goal as one of the top highlights of the era. Great theater for sure, and also one of RJ's finest calls. I still watch that video once in a while to remember the better times. 

RIP Ray Emery. He was a gamer.

Yup. Like Lehner (when Housley didn't neuter him), Ron Hextall, Billy Smith.......... I wish there were more goaltenders like them all in the league. Emery should have been given more of a chance to become a regular starter. He was a starter at one point but I don't think his numbers were indicative of how good he could have been. 

Ray Emery was an enjoyable player for me, not because he was good but because he was entertaining. And in a league that doesn’t have enough diversity it helped make him someone to root for.

He was entertaining because he was emotional and loved to fight. Unfortunately those attributes appeared to haunt the man off the ice as he had a history of domestic violence and had a highly publicized attack on one of his coaches.

A shame he’s gone so soon. That’s the man we know, but I hope he grew from all that and I’m sure he left a positive mark on lives around him.

Edited by Hoss
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Eleven said:

Whoa, what?

Did this really happen?  He is (was?) so young!

I would have guessed a bit older.  I was surprised when I saw 35.  It feels like his career was ages ago.  It goes with being a Sabre fan I guess, everything feels like it was about twice as long ago as it really was.

9 minutes ago, shrader said:

I would have guessed a bit older.  I was surprised when I saw 35.  It feels like his career was ages ago.  It goes with being a Sabre fan I guess, everything feels like it was about twice as long ago as it really was.

I also was surprised when I saw 35.

8 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I can't help but associate Emery (and Daniel Alfredsson) with one of the most incisive colour commentary moments that I've watched/heard: Lorentz breaking down Pominville's OT winner in 2006.

The glorious image of him sitting, vanquished, with his back to the net, legs in front of him, is forever etched in my brain.

It's funny. I saw a lot of posts on social media about how Emery was involved in one of the Sabres' greatest moments ever -- and what people meant by that was the infamous line brawl.

Fair enough.

But I will always first associate him with what I consider to be one of the truly greatest moments in the franchise's history -- that OT winner.

Just now, shrader said:

I'd still love to hear what was running through Marty's mind as he left his crease.  Knowing him, he was probably singing along with some random song.  Were they using street fighting man at that point or did it come along a few years later?

They were using Street Fighting Man that year and your second sentence is hilarious.

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'd still love to hear what was running through Marty's mind as he left his crease.  Knowing him, he was probably singing along with some random song.  Were they using street fighting man at that point or did it come along a few years later?

They interviewed Marty about it a while back. Apparently he was fully aware that he was gonna get his butt kicked but went for it anyway. 

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

They interviewed Marty about it a while back. Apparently he was fully aware that he was gonna get his butt kicked but went for it anyway. 

No doubt.  Everyone in the league was aware of his background.  It was pretty much the first thing anyone said about him as he entered the league.  I remember randomly turning on the AHL all star skills competition a few years before that, right as Emery had entered that league.  I had no clue who he was, but even at that event, each time he was on screen the announcers were telling his story.

From the Athletic:

Emery both enthralled and infuriated teammates.

His Senators teammates laughed when he ate a cockroach in the dressing room in Carolina, winning $500 from captain Daniel Alfredsson.

Then there were times when Alfredsson would come down the ice during drills and simply shoot the puck into the corner of the rink rather than take a shot on Emery, who he didn’t think was trying.

Former Senators teammate Brian McGrattan, who lived with Emery and Jason Spezza when they played with Binghamton of the AHL during the 2004-05 lockout, tweeted when the news of Emery’s death came down: “My best friend. My brother. I love you!”

They were two guys who once had one of the fiercest brawls you ever saw during a Senators practice.

That was the dichotomy of Ray Emery, in turns brilliant and self-destructive, a star and a distraction, infuriated and infuriating.

20 minutes ago, Weave said:

Wow.  McGrattan was a monster literally and figuratively is size and fighting ability.  Emery must have been a better fighter than I realized to have a good go with McGratts.

And Emery handled Peters too!

According to Biron, he knew he was in for a beating......

They invited Ray to come to  Marty's WGR Roast last year because of the fight and to play it up with the roast but Ray declined because he didnt feel comfortable and didnt want to become a Villan to Buffalo. He didnt want to make the fans and city of Buffalo think badly of him by playing it up and bringing it up again. 

Seemed like a good guy off the ice but he battled alot of demons and issues. Had some DV issues/accusations along with drug/alcohol too. 

He had just played in a charity event the day before and was hanging out this weekend on a friends boat. Just after 6 am apparently he dove into the water and no one saw him come up again. Police divers recovered his body early afternoon, they said they had to take extra precautions in the water for the divers safety so I'm assuming the water in Hamiltons Harbour (it was a friends yacht parked in a yacht clubs area of the harbor) can be a bit rough?

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

According to Biron, he knew he was in for a beating......

They invited Ray to come to  Marty's WGR Roast last year because of the fight and to play it up with the roast but Ray declined because he didnt feel comfortable and didnt want to become a Villan to Buffalo. He didnt want to make the fans and city of Buffalo think badly of him by playing it up and bringing it up again. 

Seemed like a good guy off the ice but he battled alot of demons and issues. Had some DV issues/accusations along with drug/alcohol too. 

He had just played in a charity event the day before and was hanging out this weekend on a friends boat. Just after 6 am apparently he dove into the water and no one saw him come up again. Police divers recovered his body early afternoon, they said they had to take extra precautions in the water for the divers safety so I'm assuming the water in Hamiltons Harbour (it was a friends yacht parked in a yacht clubs area of the harbor) can be a bit rough?

So many dangers just diving into the water.  Quite a few years ago a guy who hung out with a bunch of people I knew dove off the back of a boat.  One side of the boat it was pretty deep, but he dove off the side where it was apparently only 4 feet deep.  Broke his neck and is paralyzed.  He very well would have drowned had the people on the boat not been right there and awake.

We had a boat when I was growing up and I think the only time we ever dove off of it was when we were well out in the middle of Lake Erie.

15 hours ago, Hoss said:

Ray Emery was an enjoyable player for me, not because he was good but because he was entertaining. And in a league that doesn’t have enough diversity it helped make him someone to root for.

He was entertaining because he was emotional and loved to fight. Unfortunately those attributes appeared to haunt the man off the ice as he had a history of domestic violence and had a highly publicized attack on one of his coaches.

A shame he’s gone so soon. That’s the man we know, but I hope he grew from all that and I’m sure he left a positive mark on lives around him.

Hoss ...  You captured the words flitting about in my head.  Grateful ...

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Weave said:

Wow.  McGrattan was a monster literally and figuratively is size and fighting ability.  Emery must have been a better fighter than I realized to have a good go with McGratts.

Didn't he get boxing lessons from his father when he was a kid or something ?  I remember hearing about it back when he fought biron/peters.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.