sabills

VAR  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about VAR?

• I hate it
    • Meh, its fine I guess
    • Great addition to the game

7 minutes ago, N S said:

Do you think that this is, at least in part, due to VAR?

Do they not only use VAR to determine if a tackle that was flagrant was inside, or outside, the box?

I do think it is entirely due to this, after the first few yellow cards for diving issued after a VAR review, the message was clear. 

As I understand it, VAR can be used to review any situation n where an obvious error happened or an event the ref didn't see.  So an obvious dive given as a foul can be looked at again and dealt with.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

I liked most of the VAR calls during the tournament, but that handball penalty in the final was pretty bad IMO. While the ball clearly hit the Croatian player's arm, it was in no way intentional and was a result of him being screened by the jumping player attempting a header in front of him. His arm looked to be in a pretty natural position after jumping. It was called as a play-on on the field, but was only overturned after multiple slow motion replays.

It's the same issue I have with the NFL catch reviews. It didn't look like a fragrant violation on the field, but when you slow it down and go frame by frame the interpretation gets distorted.

The penalty call changed the outcome of the entire game, as Croatia had the momentum and the pressure and it was all taken away by that decision.

3 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

I liked most of the VAR calls during the tournament, but that handball penalty in the final was pretty bad IMO. While the ball clearly hit the Croatian player's arm, it was in no way intentional and was a result of him being screened by the jumping player attempting a header in front of him. His arm looked to be in a pretty natural position after jumping. It was called as a play-on on the field, but was only overturned after multiple slow motion replays.

It's the same issue I have with the NFL catch reviews. It didn't look like a fragrant violation on the field, but when you slow it down and go frame by frame the interpretation gets distorted.

The penalty call changed the outcome of the entire game, as Croatia had the momentum and the pressure and it was all taken away by that decision.

Real question from a still newbish fan: that matters? I thought in the box a handball was a handball.

28 minutes ago, sabills said:

Real question from a still newbish fan: that matters? I thought in the box a handball was a handball.

Maybe i'm all wet on this one, but i've seen plenty of "balls contacting hands" (phrasing ?) in the box not called because the arm/hand was in a natural position. This looked to me more like that than an intentional effort to obstruct the play.

IMO, it was a harsh call that only came about from VAR replay.

25 minutes ago, N S said:

I believe this to be correct.

I also like the use of 'fragrant' in Flow's original post.

flagrant/fragrant same thing right?? ?