Malone signed to contract

Brawndo

He’s hungry. One of my favourite longshot picks of the past decade.

In related news, had fewer points in more AHL games at age 22 than Alex Nylander had at age 18.

If he makes it, it’s going to be in an energy/checking role.

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He’s hungry. One of my favourite longshot picks of the past decade.

In related news, had fewer points in more AHL games at age 22 than Alex Nylander had at age 18.

If he makes it, it’s going to be in an energy/checking role.

Linus Weissbach :p

More good Athletic info:

The nicked-up Malone needed five games just to record a shot. It took 10 games before he earned his first point, an assist. Just past the midway point, Malone was languishing near the bottom of the league with two goals, three assists and 35 shots in 38 games.

Then it clicked. He became one of the Amerks’ best players for the final 35 games, recording 10 goals, 17 points and 65 shots — huge increases over his first half.

The slow start puts the 23-year-old in the company of  three of the NHL’s better bottom-six centers, who had similar learning curves.

Brandon Dubinsky, Adam Lowry and Casey Cizakas all struggled during the first half of their opening AHL season, but came on down the stretch and used the improvement as a springboard to the NHL.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, dudacek said:

He missed about half of each of his second and third years at Harvard and I think he’s also missed a few development camps.

Would this be considered a red flag and cause for concern? I realize they've entered into a contractual agreement with Malone; however, does the contract come with stipulations regarding his health, ability to play the game, and wage guarantees.

I have to imagine the Sabres protect themselves against potential bad investments; however, at the same time if I'm the organization I wouldn't want the kid paranoid about injuries.

I can imagine a number of ways this could impact Malones' ability to play the game fearlessly.

Edited by hockeyhound

It's a 1 year, 2 way deal. I don't think the team is going to fret over whether he makes it through a one year deal without injury.

My surprise is that it is only for 1 year.  that indicates to me that he's not a prospect that they have a ton of hopes regarding an NHL future.  I know JBott indicated pleasant surprise at his game, but the contract tells me a different story.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Weave said:

It's a 1 year, 2 way deal. I don't think the team is going to fret over whether he makes it through a one year deal without injury.

My surprise is that it is only for 1 year.  that indicates to me that he's not a prospect that they have a ton of hopes regarding an NHL future.  I know JBott indicated pleasant surprise at his game, but the contract tells me a different story.

Maybe he initially intended to not qualify him at all. 

On 7/14/2018 at 7:12 AM, Weave said:

I apologize I didn't word things correctly. I was hoping someone could expound upon players, injuries, and how an NHL team might structure a contractual deal with a player that has recovered from injuries but, maybe not to the degree that everyone including the player would like. I'm sure there are good players that are potential health time bombs but, they're future prospects or proven veterans.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.