American Players Abroad

Iron Crotch

I'm not sure if other SabreSpacers follow American players over in Europe, but I try to keep up with these guys as much as I can. We have quite a few young guys who are just coming into their own in the World's top leagues (England, Germany, Italy, Spain).

In particular, the Bundesliga recently put out their list of 11 "Wonderkids to watch for 2018/2019" and 4 of the 11 are Americans:  https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/wonderkids-to-watch-christian-pulisic-leon-bailey-pavard-sule-509386.jsp

Most American soccer fans are familiar with Christian Pulisic (Dortmund) and Weston McKennie (Schalke) at this point, but keep an eye out for Josh Sargent who just signed with Werder Bremen. He is the future striker of the US National team IMHO. Also, Jurgen Klinsmann's son Jonathan (born in California) is a heck of a goalie. He's at Hertha Berlin.

Anyway, if I see any interesting updates of relatively unknown Americans playing over in Europe, I'll post them here.

56 minutes ago, N S said:

This is a great topic.

Can you also keep an eye on any Canadians, as well?

Thanks, eh.

Oh, and Take Off, eh!!

That's easier to do since there aren't all that many of them playing in Europe.   ?

(there are a few though)

….after some research, there appear to be no Canadians in the EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, or Ligue 1.

Edited by Iron Crotch

36 minutes ago, Iron Crotch said:

That's easier to do since there aren't all that many of them playing in Europe.   ?

(there are a few though)

….after some research, there appear to be no Canadians in the EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, or Ligue 1.

The canadians might be getting an auto berth from the World Cup bid in a few years, so they better start getting their team together. ?

• 2 months later...
On 9/25/2018 at 12:01 PM, Iron Crotch said:

Christian Pulisic scored in the 83rd minute on Saturday with Dortmund a man down and a goal down. The kid (just turned 20) was the best player on the pitch.

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/video/1326863427956

Then he had a great assist yesterday against Nürnberg.

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/usmnt-americans-abroad/2018/9/26/17907290/christian-pulisic-assist-video-borussia-dortmund-nurnberg

Edited by sabills

Christian Pulisic is hurt yet again. This time a calf injury. He always seems to get a "minor" injury right before an International break. Hmmm....

Also, 20 year old Weston McKennie scored the game winning for Schalke in the Champions league yesterday. He'll be a starting midfielder for the USA come next World Cup. 

• 7 months later...

Chelsea is going to lose Hazard to Madrid, and their top two young mid/forward talents in Callum Hudson-Odoi and Ruben Loftus-Cheek BOTH just went down with ruptered achilles in the span of a month. As a newly printed Chelsea supporter I hope they come back soon and in full health, but Pulisic is certainly going to get his time in the sun next season. We'll see what he does with it.

• 1 year later...
On 5/16/2019 at 8:52 AM, sabills said:

Chelsea is going to lose Hazard to Madrid, and their top two young mid/forward talents in Callum Hudson-Odoi and Ruben Loftus-Cheek BOTH just went down with ruptered achilles in the span of a month. As a newly printed Chelsea supporter I hope they come back soon and in full health, but Pulisic is certainly going to get his time in the sun next season. We'll see what he does with it.

He's doing stuff