Sabres hire Steve Smith as Assistant Coach

LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Oh, like NHL On The Fly does with their "Live" Look-Ins (that aren't live)?

Thought it was the Loafs game just ending & then them babbling about that for a while before switching over to the game in progress.  Memory's a little cloudy on that.  But will never forget that goal.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

You know what I don't care about? Our new AC scoring an own goal in the playoffs 30 odd years ago. 

So then don't get involved in the discussion.  Or steer the conversation towards something you do want to 'talk' about.

My friend who is close with Carolina Organization is not impressed with the move. 

He mentioned he decent coach but doesn’t relate well to younger players. 

He ran the special teams units and would utilize the same players for both often to the point of fatigue. 

Against Calgary he did this enough so that the Fourth Line was matched up against Johnny Gaudreau quite often with him having a three point night as a result 

He doesn’t play the players most suited for the PK. 

Cause for concern, let’s see what happens 

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

My friend who is close with Carolina Organization is not impressed with the move. 

He ran the special teams units and would utilize the same players for both often to the point of fatigue. 

Against Calgary he did this enough so that the Fourth Line was matched up against Johnny Gaudreau quite often with him having a three point night as a result 

Not concerned. We could hire anyone and "I have a friend who is......."    where have we heard this before? Just today I heard glowing remarks about him. Guess what? Someone in the hockey community. This forum is becoming a soap opera at times.

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

"Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in", 

Ok then thanks, that's enough to put me back into skeptical fan mode on the current coaching staff.  

8 hours ago, Neo said:

I’d lost track of him for decades, but I still remember watching, that night, so many years ago.  I was a newlywed!  Seemed like a stand up guy.  Winning culture, too!

That was crushing for that team as they may have won 5 Cups in a row without his gaffe.

I think it was Messier who handed him the Cup the following year.

17 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Fwiw I've read some Carolina fans' reports on him, and they seem to attribute a lot of their young defense to his coaching. It's so hard to really know until we see it live though, and even then I'm not sure we're ever really going to know. I mean, how much exactly did Housley contribute to making their defensemen in Nashville what they are now?

Far as the special teams goes, don't we already have a coach for that?

Always appreciate the insight though ?

Damn, that new beer emoji is...not great

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.