Sabres hire Steve Smith as Assistant Coach

LGR4GM

28 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I can't think about that. I first need to digest that her name is pronounced CAR-innAs in, park the car in the garage.

Oh boy... she's one of the those.  

29 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I can't think about that. I first need to digest that her name is pronounced CAR-inn. As in, park the car in the garage.

Careful, my wife spells her name Caryn... the Gaelic spelling and hates it pronounced Car-inn.  Just no bad bad Judge Smell.   ?

Okay then no whole sale coaching changes so i guess I'll take baby steps for $100 Alex.  

I definitely like strong shot suppression as long as its the other teams since last years defense's contribution to the offense was basically shot and suppressed. 

So somehow I hope this change will also help the defense contribute more offense to the team. 

Now how about the PP and 5 on 5 ?        

58 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I can't think about that. I first need to digest that her name is pronounced CAR-inn. As in, park the car in the garage.

Well at least she has a garage.  I understand Jack still parks his cah in Hahvahd Yahd.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Karin Housley is the Yoko Ono of the Sabres.    I swear to God, she's going to be the downfall of this team... if she hasn't been already.  

The sabres are like the Beatles, sure. In that neither of them have ever won the Stanley Cup and they both have about the same number of people in the hall of fame.

Still believe the major flaw in the coaching staff remains experience at this level.  Would've preferred more experience than this coming in.  But at least Smith is entering at least his 5th year rather than 2nd.

And, will definitely give Smith props for his recovery from his ooopsie.  A play like that could haunt a kid, but he recovered to have a solid playing career.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Still believe the major flaw in the coaching staff remains experience at this level.  Would've preferred more experience than this coming in.  But at least Smith is entering at least his 5th year rather than 2nd.

And, will definitely give Smith props for his recovery from his ooopsie.  A play like that could haunt a kid, but he recovered to have a solid playing career.

I believe he coached for the Oilers as well. From 2010 to 2014 he was a coach for them. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I believe he coached for the Oilers as well. From 2010 to 2014 he was a coach for them. 

If he was, Not sure if his being a coach when their D was a true tire fire is necessarily a plus.  Either way, at least the experience level staff-wide increased.  Which was necessary.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Not aware of the ooopsie, as you call it.

I often call the 1980s the best decade for the NHL.  The game’s were up tempo and physical.  If there was a best of the best, it was Edmonton V’s. Calgary.  The game’s were on TV late, being west coast starts.  Still, you made time for Hockey Night in Canada when they met.

Edmonton was just a bit better.  We all loved Lanny McDonald.

in 1986, Edmonton was at its peak.  They met Calgary in the playoffs.

Calgary, Edmonton, Calgary, Edmonton, Calgary, Edmonton .... and then game seven.

With the score tied 2 to 2 in the third period, Steve Smith scored into his own net.  It did it deflect off him.  He shot it in, attempting to pass.  He collapsed to the ice.  Final, 3-2 Calgary.

Graceful after,  Steve Smith became Everyman who ever had a nightmare of not having his homework, not knowing he had an exam, forgetting where his  locker was ....

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, ubkev said:

The sabres are like the Beatles, sure. In that neither of them have ever won the Stanley Cup and they both have about the same number of people in the hall of fame.

What is the NHL equivalent of a #1 single? A President's trophy, conference championship, or division title? Because the Beatles racked up 27 #1s (per their 1 compilation album) in only eight seasons. The Sabres have been around for many more seasons... Not to worry, the Sabres (or just Eichel or Dahlin) still have time to claim they're bigger than McJesus.

And... good hire, from what I can tell.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

If he was, Not sure if his being a coach when their D was a true tire fire is necessarily a plus.  Either way, at least the experience level staff-wide increased.  Which was necessary.

Apparently he retired in 97, then coached for a year with Calgary, before coming back out of retirement to play 3 more years.

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Own goal?

That it was.  Right off Fuhr's leg.  

Not sure if HNiC was showing it tape delayed, but they claimed they were going to it live and broke from the studio to that game about 45 seconds before the goal.  It was GLORIOUS.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.