Donald J Trump, your thoughts on his Presidency

LGR4GM

17 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

I really do understand that. I find it easier to read quotes and transcripts of what he says easier to tolerate.

Either the man is so stupid that he does not realize how fascist the 1776 commission sounds. Or he knows and doesn't see the problem with how fascist it sounds.

He doesn't care. This idea clearly comes from Stephen Miller. 

The next 50 or so days will be some of the ugliest and darkest America has witnessed. The Supreme Court and Election battle will be disgusting displays. 

39 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

You really think it will stop getting ugly after the election? We either have 4 more years of it getting worse or until sometime in January when Biden and the new senate is sworn in

50 days takes us to after the election

4 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

Like a week after I believe. Which could be about the time we know who won. We have at minimum 4 more months of the ever increasing game of fascist chicken

Wait until they stack the supreme court so when they challenge the election results they magically win. 

Trump Declines To Promise Peaceful Transfer Of Power After Election, from NPR

Trump: "We're going to have to see what happens. You know that. I've been complaining very strongly about the ballots. And the ballots are a disaster," Trump said, alluding to his unsubstantiated arguments about widespread mail-in ballot fraud.

"Get rid of the ballots and you'll have a very peaceful — there won't be a transfer, frankly, there'll be a continuation. The ballots are out of control. You know it. And you know who knows it better than anybody else? The Democrats know it better than anybody else."

I've said it before and I will say it again...

Edited by LGR4GM

Nfreeman, come tell me how it wasn't going to be that bad and people were overreacting, that's why you closed the politics thread. That and you lied about a "cooling off period". So please tell me how 200k dead Americans, blatant corruption, oppressive policies, talk about refusing to accept election results isn't "that bad". 

I’ve been feeling increasingly despondent and hopeless regarding the presidency and upcoming election.

I feel like it’s either 4 more years of pushing further into authoritarianism, or it’s going to be declarations of illegitimate results, incited riots, and refusals to leave office.

I think New York State should drop all charges against Trump and his associates.  There needs to be a nice safe path for him to leave office.  They shouldn’t leave him no way out.  It’s dangerous.

Edited by Curt

39 minutes ago, Curt said:

I’ve been feeling increasingly despondent and hopeless regarding the presidency and upcoming election.

I feel like it’s either 4 more years of pushing further into authoritarianism, or it’s going to be declarations of illegitimate results, incited riots, and refusals to leave office.

I think New York State should drop all charges against Trump and his associates.  There needs to be a nice safe path for him to leave office.  They shouldn’t leave him no way out.  It’s dangerous.

I'm pretty much where you are.  For the first time in my life politics is affecting my personality and my sleep.  It does feel hopeless right now.  I can't shake the feeling that the America I knew is gone.

18 hours ago, Weave said:

I'm pretty much where you are.  For the first time in my life politics is affecting my personality and my sleep.  It does feel hopeless right now.  I can't shake the feeling that the America I knew is gone.

Sorry to say but it is gone. Even if he isn't re-elected, even if he and others are held responsible for the abuses they did. The america that we grew up in is gone. We will be living with the repercussions of his administration for a generation

5 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

Sorry to say but it is gone. Even if he isn't re-elected, even if he and others are held responsible for the abuses they did. The america that we grew up in is gone. We will be living with the repercussions of his administration for a generation

That may be, but the issues that led to this have been around for awhile.  The fact that Trump was elected only meant that they had grown large enough to be relevant. We've been a society hell bent on not listening to each other since at least 2000.

15 hours ago, LTS said:

That may be, but the issues that led to this have been around for awhile.  The fact that Trump was elected only meant that they had grown large enough to be relevant. We've been a society hell bent on not listening to each other since at least 2000.

My take is a little more conspiratorial than this is a result of more extreme positions among society.  I think we have been in the midst of a coup of sorts for some time now.  Republicans have been playing the long game.  Control has been slowly compartmentalized and we are in full transition to an oligarchy.  While they wanted no part of him initially, I think the GOP realized at some point that Trump is a useful idiot for their needs, and that is the reason why they haven't asked hm to step down like they did Nixon.  He has managed to activate a base that they needed to wrest influence from certain segments of society and trivialize them.  They needed him to pack the judicial branch with members sympathetic to the end game.  And now that they have the judges, and have the armed alt right and law enforcement in their pockets......... this won't end well.

If Trump had shown any sign at all that he had empathy I'd say that the news he has contracted COVID would be good news.  His decisions to date have universally lacked empathy, and a brush with the disease that he has very publicly marginalized might give him more empathy in his decision making about the disease from here on out.  Not unlike Reagan's change of heart on gun control after the assassination attempt on him.  But I honestly do not think a development of empathy is in his personality.

No, this isn't an "I'm glad he got the disease" post.  It's an "I wish there were a bright side to him getting the disease" post.  I'm sure the level of medical care he is receiving is well above that available to any of us.  I have no doubt he recovers quickly, risk factors aside.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

If Trump had shown any sign at all that he had empathy I'd say that the news he has contracted COVID would be good news.  His decisions to date have universally lacked empathy, and a brush with the disease that he has very publicly marginalized might give him more empathy in his decision making about the disease from here on out.  Not unlike Reagan's change of heart on gun control after the assassination attempt on him.  But I honestly do not think a development of empathy is in his personality.

No, this isn't an "I'm glad he got the disease" post.  It's an "I wish there were a bright side to him getting the disease" post.  I'm sure the level of medical care he is receiving is well above that available to any of us.  I have no doubt he recovers quickly, risk factors aside.

No it won't. He's a textbook narcissist. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

caught this posted elsewhere.. I think it sums things up a bit.

When the FBI stops a plot to kidnap a governor, and the President can't thank the FBI because he's fighting with them

AND

he can't be thankful for the governor's safety, because he's fighting with her

AND

he can't condemn the terrorists because they're his supporters

...it's time for a new President.

19 hours ago, LTS said:

caught this posted elsewhere.. I think it sums things up a bit.

When the FBI stops a plot to kidnap a governor, and the President can't thank the FBI because he's fighting with them

AND

he can't be thankful for the governor's safety, because he's fighting with her

AND

he can't condemn the terrorists because they're his supporters

...it's time for a new President.

I agree, it is time for a new president. 

Slightly off topic...  I was very surprised to see the new York times publish stories about possible corruption between Joe/Hunter and China/Ukraine. I had always considered the the NYT to be a far left paper,  never considered they would even look into such a story. I'm also surprised to hear that Twitter and Facebook were/is blocking any post related to those stories on their platforms. Less surprising is the amount of attention given to the stories on media outlets. If you go to foxnews.com its all over their front page. If you go to cnn.com they don't even mention it. The political bias in those two media outlets is blatantly obvious. 

Disclaimer: I'm not commenting on the truthfulness of the stories,  I have no idea. I'm just saying that what our media outlets suck. 

1 hour ago, Hank said:

I agree, it is time for a new president. 

Slightly off topic...  I was very surprised to see the new York times publish stories about possible corruption between Joe/Hunter and China/Ukraine. I had always considered the the NYT to be a far left paper,  never considered they would even look into such a story. I'm also surprised to hear that Twitter and Facebook were/is blocking any post related to those stories on their platforms. Less surprising is the amount of attention given to the stories on media outlets. If you go to foxnews.com its all over their front page. If you go to cnn.com they don't even mention it. The political bias in those two media outlets is blatantly obvious. 

Disclaimer: I'm not commenting on the truthfulness of the stories,  I have no idea. I'm just saying that what our media outlets suck. 

Correction:  NY Post, not NYT, which is definitely a right leaning publication that is not above publishing conspiracy theories. 

The Washington Post did publish an article discrediting this conspiracy theory in 2019.  It is old news at this point.  Two GOP led Senate investigations reached the conclusion that there was no wrong doing, that Biden was carrying out official US policy, and that the prosecutor in the story wasn't even assigned to the investigation during the time this supposedly took place.  There is official testimony that this prosecutor was fired for NOT investigating, which is directly counter to the claim being made.

There doesn't appear to be any evidence supporting this story, and a bunch of evidence that it is not a story at all.

I'm betting the NY Post isn't reporting this. From Washington Post as well:

The FBI is investigating whether recently published emails purportedly obtained from a laptop owned by Hunter Biden are part of a Russian disinformation campaign, several outlets reported Friday.

Citing unnamed sources, The Associated Press and CNN each reported that the FBI is examining whether the emails released by the New York Post are connected to a Russian disinformation operation.

Edited by Weave

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

Correction:  NY Post, not NYT, which is definitely a right leaning publication that is not above publishing conspiracy theories. 

The Washington Post did publish an article discrediting this conspiracy theory in 2019.  It is old news at this point.  Two GOP led Senate investigations reached the conclusion that there was no wrong doing, that Biden was carrying out official US policy, and that the prosecutor in the story wasn't even assigned to the investigation during the time this supposedly took place.  There is official testimony that this prosecutor was fired for NOT investigating, which is directly counter to the claim being made.

There doesn't appear to be any evidence supporting this story, and a bunch of evidence that it is not a story at all.

Thank you for correcting me re: New York Post/New York Times. My bad. I'm sure everything you wrote is probably true. Again, I used that article merely as an example of how obscenely political our major news outlets have become. Foxnews=republican/cnn=democrat.

5 minutes ago, Hank said:

Thank you for correcting me re: New York Post/New York Times. My bad. I'm sure everything you wrote is probably true. Again, I used that article merely as an example of how obscenely political our major news outlets have become. Foxnews=republican/cnn=democrat.

Thats true.  My reply was meant to explain why none of the other outlets were mentioning it.  It is literally old news.

Historically I always considered CNN to be rather neutral.  They seem to me to have become heavily anti-Trump biased.  I’m hoping once he leaves office we see a more centrist reporting from them.

Edited by Weave

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

Thats true.  My reply was meant to explain why none of the other outlets were mentioning it.  It is literally old news.

Historically I always considered CNN to be rather neutral.  They seem to me to have become heavily anti-Trump biased.  I’m hoping once he leaves office we see a more centrist reporting from them.

I hope you're right about cnn being more anti-trump than democrat leaning. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks after Biden wins. 

23 hours ago, Hank said:

All 24 hour news networks deal in sensationalism. 

Fox News deals in propaganda and has for years. Most of their hosts peddle an alternate reality designed solely to enrage the right and create hyper sensationalism in order to drive ratings. They aren't news, they are the propaganda platform of the right. Jon Stewart understood what Fox News was 10 years ago and he was right. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

All 24 hour news networks deal in sensationalism. 

Fox News deals in propaganda and has for years. Most of their hosts peddle an alternate reality designed solely to enrage the right and create hyper sensationalism in order to drive ratings. They aren't news, they are the propaganda platform of the right. Jon Stewart understood what Fox News was 10 years ago and he was right. 

Yes, fox News does all of that for the right. And cnn is just as bad for the left. 

4 hours ago, Hank said:

Yes, fox News does all of that for the right. And cnn is just as bad for the left. 

nobody is as bad as fox news. Fox news deals in making right wing extremism main stream. they turn the volume to 11, everyone else has amps that only go to 10.

Or perhaps it is more fair to say that the Right is better at uniting behind a single brand or sound bite when compared to the coalition that is the Left